Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Winter weather

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:29 am

3F in NoVa? Is there any toilet paper or bottled water left on the store shelves?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:08 pm

I have no idea. I was afraid to go out in the cold to check.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:17 pm

Darkmage wrote:

Vrock must have the M1A2 up to speed (and heat) by now (that waste heat from the gas turbine comes in handy). Probably be the first on the block with an M1A3, unless Tanker27 snags one first. :wink:

3F cold? My winter jacket and boots are still in the closet and I've seen -20F. That said, work has required me to spend enough time in Arlington/Alexandria to know you lot have a completely different response than us Northerners when the single digits hit. Can't ever wangle a training session down there when the blossoms are out, though.

mattshwink
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Got as low as 4F in Alexandria for me. The cold doesn't bother me much, but if it's windy (and it was morning in DC) it sucks.

Stores seemed normal the past few days. But schools were closed today and they go in late tomorrow (luckily our day care stayed open).

And Ned, you should definitely twist someones arm when the blossoms are out (late March/early April) typically. It is quite a sight.

Matt

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:14 pm

I'd be happy if the 6 inches of ice in my driveway somehow spontaneously melted though, with my luck, it would spontaneously convert to Ice-nine. The usual January thaw will only take half of it, meaning it's nothing more than the Zamboni From The Sky. Just what I need, ice made smoother.

One step off the front porch and you're on all fours if you don't want to hurt yourself. I even asked a buddy who ice-climbs if he had an old & dead set of crampons he could spare as it's really that bad. If Mr. Sun ever obliges, I'll take pics.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:22 am

14°F here on the Gulf Coast this morning set a new record low for this date.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:24 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I'd be happy if the 6 inches of ice in my driveway somehow spontaneously melted though, with my luck, it would spontaneously convert to Ice-nine. The usual January thaw will only take half of it, meaning it's nothing more than the Zamboni From The Sky. Just what I need, ice made smoother.

One step off the front porch and you're on all fours if you don't want to hurt yourself. I even asked a buddy who ice-climbs if he had an old & dead set of crampons he could spare as it's really that bad. If Mr. Sun ever obliges, I'll take pics.

Maybe you can temporarily pave it over -- a scattering of icemelt followed by an inch or so of crushed rock.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:53 pm

ludi wrote:
[Maybe you can temporarily pave it over -- a scattering of icemelt followed by an inch or so of crushed rock.

Well, if my friend could ever get his big pickup fixed he's got a spreader that'll take pea gravel, so it's doable.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:40 pm

It got down to 0 degrees in the valley. No tank here. :) That's colder than I ever wanted to see, though. Today was downright balmy in comparison, with a high of 34 degrees.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:36 pm

Bloody 'ell. Sat/Sun are mid/high 40's and heavy rain. That means a flooded cellar until the sump pump hose thaws out, a major pond in my driveway until and unless the existing ice opens to ground, and ice cascades off the roof. Need to move the 2 outdoor cars out of the fall zone. NWS only goes out 1 week and there's nothing scary there but if this rain doesn't melt all of the ice and we get a hard freeze I'll be chasing Canadian kids playing shinny out of my front ice rink until it finally does melt.

That said, I took the dirt road route home tonight and there are farm fields that in the Prairie Provinces would have crowds of kids playing shinny. Glass smooth and some of them are full-rink size. Thankfully the roads are clear & dry otherwise movement would be impossible.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:13 pm

Today was balmy, around 30*. We had about a week of real winter here so far, and it was great. Need some more snow...
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:34 am

Looks like we're finally out of the deep freeze here. After an assload of snow and several days with temperatures in the negative double digits, we've crept above freezing today with rain in the forecast. It's gonna be really sloppy, but at least it is ~40 degrees warmer than it was just a few days ago!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:41 am

just brew it! wrote:
Looks like we're finally out of the deep freeze here. After an assload of snow and several days with temperatures in the negative double digits, we've crept above freezing today with rain in the forecast. It's gonna be really sloppy, but at least it is ~40 degrees warmer than it was just a few days ago!

I'll take the sloppiness. It was so cold that the snow was just getting packed on major roads out here. At least now they can clear some of that, and the slush that's left is easier to deal with.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:08 am

superjawes wrote:
I'll take the sloppiness. It was so cold that the snow was just getting packed on major roads out here. At least now they can clear some of that, and the slush that's left is easier to deal with.

30-40 years ago the road crews packed the snow, laid down massive amounts of sand & grit, and travel was easy. I'd rather drive on that then the modern version of scrape all but the last half-inch and let if freeze because salt is environmentally evil. The big orange trucks in VT aren't clearing roads, they're Zambonis.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:45 am

Schools in and around DC are closed two days in a row due to the snow yesterday, and the cold today (Wednesday). It's around 15* F now in DC.

One of the fun things about snow in DC is that the DC Snowball Fight Association organizes massive snowball fights. Tonight a few hundred people turned out for a massive battle at DuPont circle, with some stalwart soldiers defending the fountain, and others besieging it with icy wrath. A local pizza place brought free pizza for the defenders.

Nothing like grown adults acting like 10 year olds. But we're grown-ups, and it's our turn to decide what that means. 8)
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:37 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Schools in and around DC are closed two days in a row due to the snow yesterday, and the cold today (Wednesday). It's around 15* F now in DC.

I scoff at your 15F. It is -1F here (western 'burbs of Chicago) now; maybe we'll hit 15F as our high during the day tomorrow (if we're lucky)!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:00 am

-12F here this AM on the way to a high of -1. Was -9 yesterday AM. I love my block heater.

mattshwink
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:23 am

Got out of DC for the week with the family.....a nice 75 and sunny here in Phoenix :)

monts
Gerbil Jedi
Location: Western Australia (Gods Own Country for those uncertain)

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:33 am

Or go further away and get into the Southern Hemisphere. It's been over 100F here for the last 4 days. And we've been playing cricket as well.
iMac 27” | MacBook Air.
Cricket and AFL (Fremantle Dockers) tragic.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:33 am

monts wrote:
And we've been playing cricket as well.

Been watching the New Zealand/India ODI series on ESPN 3.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:04 pm

An inch or so of snow in the NW suburbs made my commute to work 95 minutes instead of 50. It fell at the wrong time.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:08 pm

Darkmage wrote:

at 3F laff

had quite a few days of -40F up here, that makes 3F seem nice.

trolololo http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weathe ... io/timmins
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:10 pm

Ilive in SE philly suburbs along the 95 corridor and we went from 30 degrees and a prediction of 5-8 inches to having 8 inches in the 1st 6 hours starting yesterday at 11am and stopped around midnight leaving us with 13-14 inches and a temp of 5f with 30mph winds from the NNW.

Went to bed around 1 am woke up at 4am spent 1 1/2 hrs doing my driveway and sidewalk. Then at 7 AM went to my wifes hair salon UTOPIA and did our 6 parking spots and the Gold store next store, he has 2 parking spots. I was lucky it is usually heavy wet snow in our area but this was light and fluffy powder than my sno blower had no problem with. But it still got a heck of a workout moving all that snow and the entrance to the parking lot was all plowed in. That is what really worked the sno blower, its 5hp engine did a great job chucking squash ball sized chunks of ice across 4 lanes of roadway.

I am sore and it sucked.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:57 pm

It's been sleeting for half the day so far. We've got close to an inch of ice on the ground here. This is an area that only gets snow about once every 5 years, let alone ice. :o
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:16 pm

It's freaking snowing here in SC, and it's actually sticking. That's not something that happens every year, so of course EVERYTHING shut down early today, and bread and milk flew off the grocery store shelves.

My dogs, on the other hand, are absolutely amazed at this odd white stuff falling from the sky. They don't quite know how to act. Too cute.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Atlanta has fallen apart.

http://news.msn.com/us/after-storm-heli ... ed-drivers

I had to abandon my car in a private parking lot and walk the rest of the way home after sitting two hours in traffic to move about a mile. One of the hills preceding my house turned to ice and that was all she wrote. The traffic was too snarled for anything to be done to treat the road at that point.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:35 pm

You know, I'll take the bitter cold over an ice storm. I don't really have to worry about losing power, and you can still get more traction on powder than you can on ice.

Stay safe, Southern Gerbils.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:44 pm

Everything is shut down here. It's eerie seeing the traffic cameras on the news bulletins with ZERO traffic, but the roads are still covered with ice. It didn't get warm enough today to melt much. I believe that they did a good job of preparation, considering that we don't have equipment for clearing the roads. Local officials and businesses announced Monday that nearly everything would be closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Conditions didn't get really treacherous until late Tuesday morning.

The white stuff looks like snow from a distance, but it's not. The white is from finer ice crystals that fell after dark last night on top of the more than 1" accumulation of larger clear ice pellets that fell during the day.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:08 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
It seems downright apocalyptic. Meanwhile, in Alabama...

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:16 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:

http://news.msn.com/us/after-storm-heli ... ed-drivers

I had to abandon my car in a private parking lot and walk the rest of the way home after sitting two hours in traffic to move about a mile. One of the hills preceding my house turned to ice and that was all she wrote. The traffic was too snarled for anything to be done to treat the road at that point.

I was a bit luckier over near Perimeter Mall. Only took me five hours to go the three miles from my office to home.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech