Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Winter weather

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:15 am

notfred wrote:
Hot weather is what kills batteries, cold weather is when you find out just how dead it is.

Yeah Michigan is a great killer of batteries, our Winter-to-Summer temperature swing is generally over 100F which is great for destroying batteries and roads. I'm waiting for the one in my S10 to die, as it's well past due.

Last time it died I think I replaced it with something slightly over sized, so maybe that helps.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

localhostrulez

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:25 pm

Well, I rode my bike on the icy roads yesterday, stopped quickly for something, and slid on my rear. Learned that lesson quickly. :lol:

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:28 pm

I've had somewhat limited experience with really cold weather so i still get surprised by some things. Last night it took me an hour with a hammer breaking ice off my slide rails to move my winches so i could finish loading. Just now i heard strange noises coming from my steering section when turning, and found a block of ice where my tie rod connects to the wheel. Then when i ordered some food and a drink, in the time it took me to get from the restaurant back to my truck, part of the drink froze. I tried spitting to see if it would freeze mid air. It didn't, but i probably shouldn't have spit into the wind like a genius. :roll:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

The Egg

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:22 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Then when i ordered some food and a drink, in the time it took me to get from the restaurant back to my truck, part of the drink froze. I tried spitting to see if it would freeze mid air. It didn't, but i probably shouldn't have spit into the wind like a genius. :roll:

Yeah, you have to be careful with stuff like that. I once saw someone dump a pail of water on someone, only it was so cold that the water froze mid-air, and a giant block of ice hit them in the face.

Actually, now that I think about it more, that was probably in a cartoon. I get mixed up with that stuff sometimes.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:29 am

There was some nastiness predicted for the Chicago area this evening, but so far the roads have been OK. Just some light snow, most of which has melted as it hit the pavement. Getting colder now, so hopefully we don't get much more precipitation overnight. (I have to drive to the airport to pick my son up early in the morning.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Mikael33
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:00 am

In my part of Indiana we're under a winter weather advisory, atm the with wind chill it's 4*F and it's snowing a bit, supposed to snow more 8)

The Egg

Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:14 am

just brew it! wrote:
There was some nastiness predicted for the Chicago area this evening, but so far the roads have been OK. Just some light snow, most of which has melted as it hit the pavement. Getting colder now, so hopefully we don't get much more precipitation overnight. (I have to drive to the airport to pick my son up early in the morning.)

Streets that've been salted are fine, but watch yourself on sidewalks and such. It seems like every snow this year has been the kind you have to chisel off the windows. I hate that crap. I'd take twice the volume of the powdery fluff that you can just brush off any day.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:37 am

The Egg wrote:
It seems like every snow this year has been the kind you have to chisel off the windows. I hate that crap. I'd take twice the volume of the powdery fluff that you can just brush off any day.

I hear you. I'd even take powdery snow (and colder temperatures) over 35F and rainy. Just above freezing and drizzly is the worst (especially if the temperature subsequently dips and turns everything into a sheet of ice).

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:44 am

Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Mikael33
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:10 am

Much better weather this morning, -13*F with wind chill.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:35 am

It's about 60* here today in Washington, DC. Not much winter weather to speak of. Hopefully it comes soon...
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:39 am

FireGryphon wrote:
It's about 60* here today in Washington, DC. Not much winter weather to speak of. Hopefully it comes soon...

Forget that. Hopefully it stays that way and i can head that way next week :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:59 pm

Single digits (F) in the Chicago area tonight. Brrrr!

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:22 am

just brew it! wrote:
Single digits (F) in the Chicago area tonight. Brrrr!

Wuss :P

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:28 am

The DC area got thumped pretty good. Report vary, but we got about 30" of snow here. This was about halfway through, on Saturday. I did the driveway once just to make the final shoveling a bit easier on me.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

mattshwink
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:37 am

We measured 23" of snow just south of DC on Saturday at 6PM. It was still snowing at a good clip so we probably got 1-3 more before it was all over.

Kougar

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:43 pm

All that snow looks beautiful. Of course I'm not shoveling it, so maybe that'd change my opinion after awhile. :P

Central Texas tends to only see ~20 days a winter drop below freezing, but so far I think we've had less than five. Shaping up to be one of the warmest winters we've had in recent record.

localhostrulez

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:14 pm

Corvallis had a day of ice on the roads a few weeks ago, then that cleared up, and now it's 15C and sunny. In Oregon. That's not that common in the winter. Heading back to rain for the next week or so though.

Although I'm starting to think that bay area weather, maybe with slightly colder winters and a bit more rain (to make things interesting), would be just right. Blue skies and 35C summers (days where you hop in the car, almost burn your rear, and immediately blast the AC) actually seem nice compared to gloomy winter days. Although you don't see as much of that as you head north.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:50 pm

46cm of snow by 5PM today and a new single day snowfall record for Ottawa. It ain't done yet, still snowing out there.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:01 pm

notfred wrote:
46cm of snow by 5PM today and a new single day snowfall record for Ottawa. It ain't done yet, still snowing out there.

Meanwhile here in VT it was 50F/10C and pouring rain.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:04 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
notfred wrote:

Meanwhile here in VT it was 50F/10C and pouring rain.

Thats about what we having going on here too. Was 36F and raining when I left for work at 7 this morning. That is not normal weather for this time of year.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:18 pm

Hance wrote:
Thats about what we having going on here too. Was 36F and raining when I left for work at 7 this morning. That is not normal weather for this time of year.

Yeah, El Niño is making a mockery of this winter. Two real snows, neither of which reached 6 inches here on the valley floor. Only one really cold stretch; surprisingly enough it was just this past weekend and an excursion to -13F (not really cold-cold around here, but the -3F high for last Saturday didn't set well with the pond hockey tournament on Malletts Bay).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:36 pm

Snow coming down in Chicago area today. I could've worked from home but it looked fine this morning. D'OH!

johnnywheels
Gerbil

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:38 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Snow coming down in Chicago area today. I could've worked from home but it looked fine this morning. D'OH!

Yikes! It's a beautiful 80 degrees in Vegas today! Kids are riding their hoverboards everywhere in shorts and tank tops, where'd all the skate boards and bikes go??

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Roughly 60 degrees today. It's predicted to snow Friday. Sigh.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

localhostrulez

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Temperatures in Corvallis are around 10-15C, rain a few days, gloomy clouds for a lot, and the occasional nice and sunny day. Today was sunny, but man... 18MPH winds, going the worst way possible for me to get to class. Tends to do that, if anything. Errgh.

I'm heading back to the bay area for spring break in under 3 weeks... looking forward to that one.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:08 am

-12C and a wind chill of -22C with significant snow falling overnight and through the commute. I guess Wiarton Willie got it right this year.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:36 am

notfred wrote:
-12C and a wind chill of -22C with significant snow falling overnight and through the commute. I guess Wiarton Willie got it right this year.

Tropical :)

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/wea ... io/timmins

Any of that snow melt from that big storm the other week?? I'm just glad snow compresses under it's own weight, because the 175cm (69") of snow we got here is more like 100cm. We'll have white stuff on the ground probably into May, unless we get a nice warm spell in April *fingers crossed*
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:12 am

It's been a crazy winter with excursions in to the +C here in Ottawa. Last weekend went above freezing which meant some of that record snow we got last week melted down.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:52 pm

It's been in the 20's for a couple of days in the DC area. I cleaned the leaves out of my gutters today and I found that water had gotten stuck in the leaves and debris and frozen in the bottom of the gutter, so I was really pulling out sheets of ice with cleaves, twigs, and other debris stuck in it. Quite a happy surprise, as I love the colder weather and all the things that go along with it!
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III