Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Winter weather

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:56 pm

the wrote:
And randomly it is going to be 70 F (22.2 C for the rest of the world) later today... and I'm in Kansas. In about a week I'll be looking at 18 F (-8 C) temperatures.

Where are you at? My brother and parents (Wichita) were giving me crap pretty bad the past few days.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:33 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
that's OK Kougar, we up here laugh at you pansies down south that can't hack 40 degree weather :P

Don't I know it! People bundle up like they're living in New York under three feet of snow when it hits 40 degrees here. We had one week of icy sleet conditions that completely shut down the city two years ago.

This winter has been incredibly mild for us locally, it may actually be the warmest winter we've had. Certainly in the top ten. No snow, not even a single day of sleet or ice conditions so far.

What's hilarious, is I love New York weather. I can't stand the heat. I'm definitely in the wrong part of the US :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:37 pm

Hell, I don't even plug in the block heater until the forecast is for -10F. Don't own a winter hat and my winter gloves have been in the back seat of my car since around 2011 or so.

Subaru + turbo + Hakkepellitta = ability to push 2+ feet of powder to get out of driveway. Turn off the stability control and the grin only gets bigger. Here in VT we actually teach new drivers how to catch and use rear-end snow slides. Stick just makes it easier.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Hell, I don't even plug in the block heater until the forecast is for -10F. Don't own a winter hat and my winter gloves have been in the back seat of my car since around 2011 or so.

I used to be like this. I actually don't mind the cold that much. Then I moved to Boston where I have to walk in it constantly, with other elements like rain/snow/wind/idiots and now I carry a beanie and gloves in my bag every day.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:27 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Then I moved to Boston

I'll admit that current patterns bring you more snow but here in Greater Burlington VT we've got you beat on temps by a bunch and then some.

localhostrulez

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:05 am

I'm from San Francisco (actually closer to Walnut Creek), but moved up to central Oregon for college. It's not that much colder here, to be honest. A little snow every few years, and we have lots of cloudy weather, but that's about it. At least the SF area has a little bit of a winter, unlike LA. Do they even know what snow is? :lol:

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:01 am

Captain Ned wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Then I moved to Boston

I'll admit that current patterns bring you more snow but here in Greater Burlington VT we've got you beat on temps by a bunch and then some.

Definitely. We very rarely dip under 0F.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:36 pm

Got 19 inches or so of snow yesterday. I got quite a workout shovelling. Was able to clear my driveway but the snow kept drifting over the sidewalk and stairs. School cancelled today.

the
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:16 pm

DancinJack wrote:
the wrote:
And randomly it is going to be 70 F (22.2 C for the rest of the world) later today... and I'm in Kansas. In about a week I'll be looking at 18 F (-8 C) temperatures.

Where are you at? My brother and parents (Wichita) were giving me crap pretty bad the past few days.

Close, Kansas City. It has warmed up but when I went to my car this morning my dash board was reading 6 F. Chaos the best way to describe the weather patterns here.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:48 pm

Plugged in the block heater just now upon arriving home. It's snowy but the roads are fine, nice packed-powder surface with some sand & grit on top. Makes for easy driving.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:07 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Got 19 inches or so of snow yesterday. I got quite a workout shovelling. Was able to clear my driveway but the snow kept drifting over the sidewalk and stairs. School cancelled today.

Yup, quite a mess. Even though we had already shoveled yesterday things were completely buried again by morning. The roads were in pretty bad shape too.

On a humorous note, when we let our dog out into the back yard this morning she stepped off the back stoop and immediately sank in up to her head in a snowdrift. She flailed around for a few seconds, then scrambled back into the house with a look on her face that said "Can you *fix* that, please?" :lol:

I shoveled her a path through the drift.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:11 pm

just brew it! wrote:
On a humorous note, when we let our dog out into the back yard this morning she stepped off the back stoop and immediately sank in up to her head in a snowdrift. She flailed around for a few seconds, then scrambled back into the house with a look on her face that said "Can you *fix* that, please?" :lol:

I shoveled her a path through the drift.

Bah. Oliver just slogs through and eventually creates a loop with "melt" spots, and he's just a 30lb beagle/mutt. Much more than 8" and he's dragging the goods through the snow. When we get lots of snow he'll do a "snowshark" where you can see the snow surface lift as he surfs underneath it. Doesn't seem to bug him.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:36 pm

Dezi's only 15 lbs. She actually likes being outside even in the cold, but snow over her head isn't her cup of tea.

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:46 pm

So the groundhog saw it's shadow this morning predicting six more weeks of winter. Sigh, I was blaming the groundhog but you know who is really at fault here? The stupid human who woke up a hibernating groundhog! Jeeze, if someone woke me up from a nice long winter nap I'd give him 6 more months of winter instead of just 6 weeks.

Ok, back to smoking the catnip.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:12 pm

Phil has the best life a groundhog could ever have (assuming Phil is the same groundhog from year to year). It's a stupid media event, the stump has a trap door through which they stuff Phil, and some really weird dud wearing a top hat pretends to know Phil's intentions.

Crap like this would not exist if network "morning TV" did not exist.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:06 pm

We ended up with 8-10 inches of snow in about 24 hours. It's butt cold here.

At least I have awesome beer.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:29 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Phil has the best life a groundhog could ever have (assuming Phil is the same groundhog from year to year).
It's definitely not the same "Staten Island Chuck" this time around. DeBlasio killed the last one.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Darkmage wrote:
It's definitely not the same "Staten Island Chuck" this time around.

Hmm, a fraternity brother of mine (circa '82-'86) named Chuck once rented a house on Staten Island (right by the ferry terminal in the mobbed-up neighborhood). Through successive assignations of the lease fraternity brothers of mine controlled that property for about 15 years and many brothers used it as a home base for NYC interviews (spare bedroom, parking out front, 5 minute walk to the ferry, no car in Manhattan issue, no worries over car theft, only the occasional cockroach, what could go wrong?)

None of them would have voted for DeBlasio, so this means absolutely nothing other than giving me a link to Staten Island. But yeah, indirectly killing the star of the show is not a good idea.

Still wonder just how many "Phils" there might be. Not like they really live in that "stump".

localhostrulez

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:24 pm

ThatStupidCat wrote:
So the groundhog saw it's shadow this morning predicting six more weeks of winter. Sigh, I was blaming the groundhog but you know who is really at fault here? The stupid human who woke up a hibernating groundhog! Jeeze, if someone woke me up from a nice long winter nap I'd give him 6 more months of winter instead of just 6 weeks.

Ok, back to smoking the catnip.

Be careful. If you don't accept groundhog day and embrace it, you might find yourself back in groundhog day tomorrow. For eternity. (I need to rewatch that movie...)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:27 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Be careful. If you don't accept groundhog day and embrace it, you might find yourself back in groundhog day tomorrow. For eternity. (I need to rewatch that movie...)

Nah, you just have to accept that you were and are wrong.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:10 am

Wiarton Willie pronounced an early spring, but that may have been becuase it was the middle of a snowstorm so no light to cast a shadow.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:29 am

Just another day in February.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weathe ... io/timmins

edit - city just came and took the 6 foot banks away yesterday. They have a nice attachment for the wheel loader
http://www.jalarue.com/swf/interface-en.html
D60

I want one too :)
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:56 pm

anotherengineer wrote:

Disssssssssgusting. No offense, of course :)

We got about another foot? of snow yesterday. More expected this week some time. I'm really over snow right now.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:10 pm

DancinJack wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:

Disssssssssgusting. No offense, of course :)

We got about another foot? of snow yesterday. More expected this week some time. I'm really over snow right now.

Ditto.

I was smart enough to clear the edge of the driveway that the plow bulldozed so my Honda Civic could make it out this morning. Love my 90's Toro CCR 2000 single-stage (it'll never die) which I bought reconditioned at a great price.

The new neighbor apparently is either new to the weather as well, or decided his Chevy SUV could make it out. He was wrong (note --if I was him, I'd have really gunned it and not been quite so gradual, but it was thick stuff). I tried to help him out, but he was stuck good and I had to go to work, so I think he had to shovel his way through. Something tells me that'll not happen again.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:07 am

LoneWolf15 wrote:
The new neighbor apparently is either new to the weather as well, or decided his Chevy SUV could make it out. He was wrong (note --if I was him, I'd have really gunned it and not been quite so gradual, but it was thick stuff). I tried to help him out, but he was stuck good and I had to go to work, so I think he had to shovel his way through. Something tells me that'll not happen again.

You've seen my Subie at BBQ. Still haven't bothered to put the snow tires on as the traction I'm getting from the all-seasons is spectacular. A quick jab of the button to disarm the stability nanny and it's romp time.

SuperSpy

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:20 am

Captain Ned wrote:

Subaru + turbo + Hakkepellitta = ability to push 2+ feet of powder to get out of driveway. Turn off the stability control and the grin only gets bigger. Here in VT we actually teach new drivers how to catch and use rear-end snow slides. Stick just makes it easier.

I'm with you. I drive an S10 ZR2 and I haven't seen a snow storm yet that scares me. The only annoying part is getting snow packed into the brakes and undercarriage. Blower heater takes care of that when I get home 8)
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:26 am

LoneWolf15 wrote:

Yeah, next time he'll probably gun it and knock over the mailbox across the street! :D

Speaking of neighbors, I need to have a talk with ours. They keep burying the fire hydrant when they shovel their driveway. :roll:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:43 am

just brew it! wrote:
Speaking of neighbors, I need to have a talk with ours. They keep burying the fire hydrant when they shovel their driveway. :roll:

Here in VT fire hydrants are equipped with 8-foot flagpoles (think bike safety flags) because the state/town plows tend to bury them while plowing at 40 MPH. While not stated in law, it's long-settled VT custom to dig out a hydrant if it's on your property.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:51 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Here in VT fire hydrants are equipped with 8-foot flagpoles (think bike safety flags) because the state/town plows tend to bury them while plowing at 40 MPH. While not stated in law, it's long-settled VT custom to dig out a hydrant if it's on your property.

Yeah, in this case it's on their side of the property line and they're the ones *burying* it. It is far back enough from the road and the speed limit is low enough that it is (usually...) out of the line of fire from the plows.

I wonder if the city would put one of those flags on it if I asked. I see those on some hydrants in the area, but not in our subdivision.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:52 pm

Today it was 3* F in DC with the windchill. Most people here can't take it, but it's beautiful to see snow falling nearly horizontally in the wind :)
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III