Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

h4x0rpenguin
Gerbil

Re: Winter weather

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:02 am

We had our coldest day in 60 odd years earlier this month (temps dropped to a bone chilling 18.8 C). Apparently the abnormally strong La Nina current thingy was responsible.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:52 am

Yesterday we had our coldest day for a really long time. Our high was 1F, our low -18F. I guess the only solace I can take from it was it was not that windy. Wind chills only reached -30. Got snow today and more snow likely tomorrow. I never thought there would be the day when I thought temps in the teens were a heat wave, but the single digits this morning feel significantly better than yesterday.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:46 pm

This morning there was a nice sleet/slush combination that kept me on my toes on my commute to work, but nothing major. Then DC government ordered all offices closed by 3:30 and they canceled after-school. At 3:31 it started hailing. Suffice it to say the commute home took two hours whereas it usually takes 30 minutes. The roads are pretty slick. Probably .5"-1" is sticking so far, but as the temperature drops below freezing (it was 33* on the ride home) it should start piling up.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:19 pm

40s/50s during the day and 20s at night nearly all week on through Sunday, and dry as old toast. I'm really getting bored with the color brown.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:19 am

Well, DC public schools have a snow day today. Funny thing is, it's usually worse in Virginia than in DC, and I had no trouble driving around this morning. Oh well, I'll still enjoy myself!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:27 pm

Just waiting on the new Snowpocalypse Now. It's coming down already, but less than an inch or so, so far. Should be lots overnight and tomorrow though. Peoria area 12-18" expected, but Chicago is going to get close to twice that. It's just a mind-boggling number, to me anyway. :o
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:57 pm

it was about 69 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny in Atlanta yesterday, two weeks after we were locked in the ice for a week, which had never happened here before. Freaky.

The problem with global warming is that it's never around when you want it. :D
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:42 pm

Getting excited about this one... the rest of our winter has been a "dud". No real synoptic snows other than an inch here and an inch there. This one promises to be a doozy with thunder and all! Can't wait to go out and play since work will likely be out of the question Wednesday.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:49 pm

Looks like the big snow in this storm is hitting the northeast more than DC, which is supposed to get rain :-?

insulin_junkie72
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:04 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Peoria area 12-18" expected, but Chicago is going to get close to twice that. It's just a mind-boggling number, to me anyway. :o

Chicago I think is about 20 inches expected ATM. North of the state line, I'm in a 18-21 inch zone.

My mobo is supposed to come either tomorrow or Wednesday. If it doesn't come tomorrow, it ain't coming Wednesday :lol: , if forecasts of the second storm are remotely correct.
EDIT: Checking UPS, I see my board is now definitely slated for tomorrow. Good.
Intel 4790K & Scythe Kotetsu | MSI Z97 PC Mate | 32GB DDR3L | Boot drive: Samsung 500GB 860EVO
Gigabyte GTX1060| Fractal Design R4 w/3x Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200 PWM | Corsair RM550x

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:11 pm

Yeah I were supposed to get 15-20+ inches here in upstate New York over the next two days. (5-9 tomorrow and then 8-12+ Wednesday). Let the fun continue.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:26 pm

insulin_junkie72 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Peoria area 12-18" expected, but Chicago is going to get close to twice that. It's just a mind-boggling number, to me anyway. :o

Chicago I think is about 20 inches expected ATM. North of the state line, I'm in a 18-21 inch zone.

Yeah, this is gonna get crazy tomorrow night. I am going to try and get in to work early tomorrow, so I can leave before things get "interesting".

They are also warning people that there could be 25 foot waves on Lake Michigan due to high winds. If that happens it'll wreak havoc with the downtown Chicago area because it'll flood the roads near the lakefront (including sections of Lake Shore Drive).

My mobo is supposed to come either tomorrow or Wednesday. If it doesn't come tomorrow, it ain't coming Wednesday :lol: , if forecasts of the second storm are remotely correct.
EDIT: Checking UPS, I see my board is now definitely slated for tomorrow. Good.

It might depend on whether they get to you early tomorrow...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

insulin_junkie72
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:39 pm

just brew it! wrote:
It might depend on whether they get to you early tomorrow...

UPS hits my town between 8-11 AM, so I've got a decent shot.
Intel 4790K & Scythe Kotetsu | MSI Z97 PC Mate | 32GB DDR3L | Boot drive: Samsung 500GB 860EVO
Gigabyte GTX1060| Fractal Design R4 w/3x Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200 PWM | Corsair RM550x

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:10 am

Our predicted share of this storm came true. Expecting a total of 6-8 inches by Tuesday morning and the temperature is currently hovering around 0F. Overnight low for Tuesday is predicted at around -17F, which is just about as cold as it ever gets in these parts. Got the humidifier running in my bedroom and the ambient humidity still isn't going over (maybe) 15%.

Glad I put the winter tires back on the car this weekend. Hadn't been using them after that two-week spell of 40s and 50s.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:11 am

0 outside actual, negative 20ish windchill.
COld!!!!!
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Lawrence,KS (KC area) - Not all that cold really, but we have got a little bit of snow today. 17 degrees right now with a wind-chill of -3. 10in. in the past ~12 hours and it's supposed to continue through the night and some tomorrow morning. Really windy too. BEWARE OF BLIZZARD

i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Well, the drive home involved only minor amounts of suckage until I got about 2/3 of the way here. Then it got pretty crappy. Then I hit my subdivision, and it got seriously crappy. I was barely able to get the car up the driveway...

Saw plenty of the snow version of dust devils (snow devils?) on the way.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Chicago is getting pounded right now, tons of snow coming down...I heard 18 inches or so. Wind chill is terrible...were getting 50 mph gusts, makes me glad I dont have a job at the moment...couldn't even imagine having to drive in this mess.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:47 pm

The NWS has backed off on snow totals to 6"-10" through tomorrow evening and 8"-13" through Thursday AM, yet the local schools (because of the Flatlander boomer idiots running them) have already issued closing notices for tomorrow. Bloody 'ell, this is VT. This is not a rare occurrence requiring school closings. This is an everyday snowstorm.

Morons.

[/grumblerant]
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:18 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Chicago is getting pounded right now, tons of snow coming down...I heard 18 inches or so. Wind chill is terrible...were getting 50 mph gusts, makes me glad I dont have a job at the moment...couldn't even imagine having to drive in this mess.

As I noted, it didn't get really bad until I was about 2/3 of my way home. I think I got lucky -- all the people who said "I'm gonna leave work really early and beat this storm" were already off the road, and the crush of people commuting back out from the city hadn't arrived yet. Most of the drive was just typical snowy winter driving.

Edit: The office where I work will be closed tomorrow; we're working Friday (which would've been a day off) this week instead. We normally do what's called a 9/80 schedule where you work 9 days out of each 2 weeks, with alternate Fridays off.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:44 pm

DC is on the lip of the snow storm. It looks like all we'll be getting is rain this time.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:43 pm

THUNDERSNOW. I thought it was pretty awesome until I saw on the local TV station's twitter feed that a couple buildings have been hit by lightning but the fire dept can't reach them because of all the snow. Also, reports of a plow in Peoria county that got overturned. Most municipalities have pulled plows off the roads and will try again tomorrow. Official total so far is 13" with 8-10" more coming tonight but I don't think my part of town quite got that much.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

TuneIn
Gerbil

Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:11 am

Last year the meteorologists were going on about "the warmest year on record" and now they won't shut up about Snowpocalypse. The weather's a bitch, but the climate has its own thing going on apparently.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:27 am

Colder temperatures != tons snow. In fact, the heaviest snowfalls tend to occur when the temperature is just below freezing -- more moisture in the air. "Snowpocalypse" isn't inconsistent with global warming; and in any case, you can't draw long-term conclusions from what may be a one-time statistical fluke.

Thundersnow is a fairly new thing though. I don't remember it ever happening here up until just a few years ago. Now we've had it happen at least once each winter for several years running. That is seriously weird, and a sign (IMO) that something is afoot.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:02 pm

-12F on the thermometer at home this morning, with Denver apparently having reached a not-quite-record -17F overnight. Currently 3F according to NWS, with -10F possible tonight. Then 30s and 40s going into the weekend. Go figure.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:37 pm

The view out my front door this morning:
Yes, my car (the one at the end of the driveway behind the minivan) had become one with the snowdrift...

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:36 pm

So I just finished digging out both of the vehicles you can see in that last pic. I debated whether to finish shoveling out behind the rear one, since it'll just get plowed in when the plow comes through again -- they did one pass yesterday afternoon (just a single lane up the middle of the street), and are supposedly coming through again at some point. But given that temperatures were hovering just below freezing this afternoon, I figured it was worth the gamble that I might need to shovel the last bit of the driveway twice, in exchange for a chance that I might not need to shovel it at 6:30 AM tomorrow when I leave for work and temperatures are expected to be around -5F! :o

Oh, and our next-door neighbors buried the fire hydrant (again...) when they shoveled their driveway. I guess I need to have a talk with them about that. After shoveling the cars out, I grabbed a broom handle and probed around for the hydrant until I found it so I could dig it out too... :roll:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:49 pm

And all I got out of that storm was about 8" of very dry fine-grained powder.

I'd dig out my mailbox but to do so in the dark is suicidal seeing as the speed limit is 50 and people do it even with snow on the road. I really need to teach my plow guy how to just slice off that chunk of snow as he comes in to do my driveway. Since he does it for free, though (he owns the 4-plex next door, is a good friend, and is the guy I call first with major heating/plumbing problems), I can't really complain.

One of these days I'll get the snowblower attachment for the Cub Cadet.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

insulin_junkie72
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:42 pm

My region got 23" in 24 hours; max winds were 64MPH.

Front door was a massive no-go because of drifting - had to use the back door.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:32 pm

We got skipped over! How disappointing. A whole 2-3" no wind. It was supposed to be almost more than 18 inches. So far off on the forecast it is sad. All of the local schools closed the night before in anticipation for no reason.