Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: Winter weather

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:36 pm

we had a huge huge huge drift in the middle of the driveway, took almost 4 hours to clear the whole drive
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:25 pm

The storm gave us 4" or so, a couple of days ago. It was very fine powder up here.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Lost the gamble, just had to shovel the end of the driveway again. At least it isn't 5 below yet!

The wife and daughter get to deal with un-burying the mailbox tomorrow while I am at work. I would be willing to bet that there is literally a ton of snow heaped in front of it (by the plow) now!

Edit: And... it could've been a lot worse. At least I don't work in downtown Chicago and take Lake Shore Drive as part of my commute: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 7680.story
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:05 pm

We got about about 12 - 14" here. It's supposed to be like 45 degrees in a few days. Kansas weather cracks me up.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:12 pm

DancinJack wrote:
We got about about 12 - 14" here. It's supposed to be like 45 degrees in a few days. Kansas weather cracks me up.

Well, in the Chicago area the joke is: "Don't like the weather here? Don't worry, it'll be completely different tomorrow!"

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:50 pm

just brew it! wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

Well, in the Chicago area the joke is: "Don't like the weather here? Don't worry, it'll be completely different tomorrow!"

In Minnesota the joke is "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes"

not true at all. It can remain cold for weeks, and I don't like it!

That said, starting Friday/Sat I'm going to start training, rain or shine.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:00 am

I am out of town working but the wife said it was -20 this morning. I will trade snow for cold anyday.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:16 am

The DC area lost snow during the storm, as above-freezing temperatures and rain combined to melt much of what was left of the snowy ground cover.

JBI's article wrote:
Nearly a thousand cars were stranded on the drive overnight. Many of those motorists have blamed the city for failing to close the drive and said there appeared to be no organized rescue plan.

"I feel like someone missed on the boat on not closing down Lake Shore Drive before it became a disaster," said Craig Close, who was stuck on the road for about five hours as he tried to make it home to Lincoln Square.

I think I'm missing something. How is the city to blame because people got stuck in the snow? It seems to me that the people who drove on the road -- even with prior warning that it would be dangerous -- are responsible for their own choices and actions.

Blaming the city for failing to close the drive? It sounds like these people are incapable of taking care of themselves and want the city to make their decisions for them.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:55 am

Yeah, pretty much. I don't see how the city could've done much more than they did. Once the accidents started and traffic came to a standstill, what happened was pretty much inevitable given how fast the snow was coming down.

I think closing the drive early might have been just as bad, if not worse. Thousands of people use it to get to and from work in the downtown area; the disruption to the evening commute would've likely caused the entire downtown area to gridlock. All those people would still have been stranded, just spread out over a couple of square miles of city streets instead of in a nice neat line along the lakefront.

All the weather forecasts were predicting a humongous blizzard, so it wasn't like people didn't have any warning. Anyone who works in downtown Chicago and stayed at work past mid-afternoon was taking a huge gamble.

The really amazing thing is that nobody was injured. Hypothermia is a pretty common problem in situations like this, as people start to run out of gas and can't run their car heaters any more.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:04 pm

35°F and raining all day. :-(

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:15 pm

The plow berm at the house end of the driveway:

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Ned, how does the new Subaru like the cold/snow vs. the WRX?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:38 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Ned, how does the new Subaru like the cold/snow vs. the WRX?

No real difference between the 2. The Legacy is maybe 150 lbs heavier. The only downside to the Legacy is that I can't use the steel rims I used on the WRX (they won't fit over the brakes) and I'm forever trying to get snow out of the spokes so I can run highway speeds without bouncing all over the place. The upside is that the Legacy has a stability control system which neither WRX had.

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:56 am

16 inches of snow on Wednesday

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:07 am

Great. Another 6" of wet 'n' heavy stuff, meaning that as soon as the thermometer drops back below 32F we'll have ice-pack. Yay.

Ozenmacher
Gerbil First Class

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Looks like I posted in the wrong thread earlier (weather junkies). For weather enthusiasts--check out my weather blog. I like to blog the scientific side of meteorology.
http://jasonahsenmacher.wordpress.com/

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 pm

Well, it seems as if Kansas is inching its way towards spring. The past few days we've had high temperatures of over 50 and the forecast says more of the same. Nearly all of that 14-ish inches we got last week are gone. Woooohooooo!

btw it's supposed to be over 70 here tomorrow. I'd be surprised if it got that high, but I can see >60 for sure.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:46 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Well, it seems as if Kansas is inching its way towards spring. The past few days we've had high temperatures of over 50 and the forecast says more of the same. Nearly all of that 14-ish inches we got last week are gone. Woooohooooo!

btw it's supposed to be over 70 here tomorrow. I'd be surprised if it got that high, but I can see >60 for sure.

Same weather here, and only the drifts and plow kerf remain now. You got twice as much snow out of it as we did out of that pass.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Ozenmacher
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:39 pm

Big winter storm coming for MN/WI/SD and parts of MI/IA/NE. Going to be a fun one with a slight chance for thundersnow in portions of southern MN and into WI. Impressive and unique storm in terms of the height field setup.

Ozenmacher
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:47 pm

DancinJack wrote:

Winter is definitely not over yet--including KS. The PNA is projected to remain pretty negative with free flowing troughing pattern over the intermountain W and a number of ejecting storms into the plains accompanied by arctic fronts. A pretty typical late winter pattern really--but don't discount winter yet.

Ozenmacher
Gerbil First Class

Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:18 pm

For anyone in southern MN/Twin Cities into southern and central WI and even into SD there is a legitimate threat for thundersnow and thunderpellets/thunderZR. This storm is going to be ripping across parts of MN/SD in terms of wicked snow. I am pretty excited.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:56 pm

We were supposed to have an inch today, but it is still snowing and we have about 8" courtesy of Lake Huron, which should be too far away to dump this much crap. Weathermen were a tad off.

Haven't had thundersnow (synopotic) here in a while, 10+ years that I know of. We are supposed to have a pretty good snowfall here Sunday night (7+ inches) but not to that degree. I would love to have a big banger of a thunderstorm with snow. However I have experience some snow squalls off of Lake Erie in the early winter that had plenty of thunder, greenage, the whole works!

I was stuck in a squall south of Buffalo that snowed at a rate of 5" per hour and shat snowballs out. Literally. It snowed so damned hard that my wiper blades going full-tilt kept popping off due to the weight. Luckily it passed through quickly and I got to my destination with beer intact, but it was wild to see the clear skies overhead afterwords, but see that massive line of squall clouds to the south flickering like a sci-fi movie was something I will never forget. Thie lightning in those is nothing like a real thunderstorm, really weak. We wound up with a little more than a foot of some really weird ball-snow which was like Styrofoam pellets. All in around 2 hours.

Thus why I don't live downwind of the lakes. That stuff is just crazy.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:17 am

liquidsquid wrote:
We wound up with a little more than a foot of some really weird ball-snow which was like Styrofoam pellets.

...and your word of the day is graupel :)

We get that around here from time to time, usually in the spring. Generally ranges in size from pinheads to BB ammo.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:06 am

The street plow got stuck outside our building. Must be nice and heavy.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:54 am

Got stuck three times on my way to work this morning.
Glad I brought the shovel with me.
Kinda totally lost my cool and flipped out / had a spaz.
Still trying to calm down now that I've finally made it in.
I'm sort of a reserved person, and when I loose it like that - it kinda freaks me out when I reflect afterward. :o

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:06 am

Spring is here!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:21 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Kinda totally lost my cool and flipped out / had a spaz.

Don't worry one whit. The spaz is your brain's way of motivating you through the third "stuckage" when most normal people would have quit. We all need to let that inner rage out every once in awhile and no one here in the snow belt would ever take offense to someone raging at snow.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:21 pm

My parents got over 20". Wow.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:49 pm

While I do admit Spring is not here yet, it's been pretty nice in Kansas. >70 a couple times this past week and no snow in the forecast...for now.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:50 am

Hey, who put this 2 feet of snow in my driveway?