Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

MaximusStuntus
Gerbil
Topic Author

Calling all stir fry experts

Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:41 pm

I have decided to attempt to do stir fry tonight. I'm just curious as to what recipes or tips that the fora denziens may have or may want to share.

nrobison
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:15 pm

Fresh ginger, finely grated. Allow sesame oil (or olive if you don't have it) and soy sauce to marinate for two hours with garlic, ginger, brown sugar, and perhaps a bit of cayenne or a whole thai chile, then pour it over the stir-fry.

Don't get too worked up about special vegetables and obscure meat slicing methods if a recipe calls for them; I stir fry for my family regularly, and you can make a good one of onions, carrots, broccoli, and celery - even sausage, if nothing else is available or budgetable. (budgetable vegetable?)

Cook meat first and add vegetables in order of their softness (carrots first...down to peas); cook hot and quickly; you want a bit of caramelization on the outside of vegetables, but you do not want any mushiness.

Basmati rice is my favorite; cook with a bit of white sugar and some salt.

Good luck.

boobyne
Gerbil XP

Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:29 pm

I can't top nrobison, but I usually ruin my stir fry's by cooking my vegetables too long or by putting too much sauce into the wok. The vegetables should retain some crispness.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:45 pm

Now I'm hungry. :evil:

I'll have to settle for... whatever I end up settling for. :wink:

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:48 pm

put down a little bit of olive oil, some peas, some corn, and some tofu. stir it around for a while and you've got a good dish :) But then again, no one ever wants to try it when I make it...
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP

Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:39 pm

Hey-

I have some additions and disagreements with nrobison, not major.

1) Chop/slice/cut every thing first. Use a plate like a painter's palette to keep each thing separate.

2) I like to put the sliced meats in a bowl with a tbsp corn starch, 2 tbsp soy sauce, and 3 tbsp vinegar (rice or red wine or balsamic) to marinade while I start the "hard" vegetables: carrot, broccoli stalk, etc. Add meat after these veggies and before the broccoli flowers, peas, etc. Then the meat will be tender and the veggies will be right.

3) You can leave the spice for the table. Some of my friends are wimps and can't take the heat. A little cayenne, or some hot chili paste, is good at the table. My favorite is chili garlic sauce. Damn, that's good.

4) nrobison is right about the fancy cutting. You can make the meal look special with a lot of color. Multi-colored peppers, or cut cherry tomatoes in half, will add some flare to the green, brown, and yellow of the rest.

-E!
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.

red0510
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:47 pm

My favorite is chili garlic sauce. Damn, that's good.

Chili Garlic sauce. :D

Best. Invention. Ever.

<wipes drool from chin>

Dissonance
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:57 pm

I'm no gourmet, but all my friends, family, and even the girlfriend seem to like this stir fry that I can whip up in the time it takes to cook rice. Forgive the crude measurements:

-splash of chili oil in the wok
-slice, add chicken
-sprinkle with minced garlic, chili powder, chili seeds, and a dash of parsley
-add enough "Sweet Chili Sauce" to cover meat
-cover wok and start chopping veggies (meat just about cooked by the time i'm done chopping)
-add (in this order), green onions, celery, green/red peppers, broccili
-add a splash of the sweet chili sauce
-cover and let sit for a couple of minutes or until brocili is a "vibrant green" (yeah, i'm no cook, that's how i describe what broccili looks like when it's "done")
-remove from heat and serve

All that I do in the time it takes to boil water, add rice, and cook the rice; usually only about 20 minutes.

Of course, if you don't like the hot stuff, ignore all that. Depending on how heavy you go with the chili, this can have some kick.