Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Grumpy_Eel
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

dvds, zen, or ipod

Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:02 pm

I recently was given 300 bucks and now its burning a whole in my pocket :D and need some help deciding what to buy.

Dvds: Star trek ds9 season 1 and 2. Would zap most of funds but its ds9! Or Stargate s1, s2 other misscelanius dvds Ive been needing

Currently have a net md mzn707 and i like it but It doesnt hold enough and its a hassle to upload songs.

If i go the mp3 player route ill get a zen or ipod. Zen is 15 gigs more, ipod offers a cheap battery solution once its fails etc for both.

Dvds Ill know Ill watch but how many times eh i dont know. Only dvd sets i watch over and over is btvs and new one isnt until june. :evil:

Have a functioning mp3esque player but really want a hdbased one.

On a another note how sturdy are those things. I have beat up my md player and it works fine but a hd.....

If u were me which of the 3 would u pick i cant decide, and I want them all.
Stupid nonreplicator society.....
Your body slaughters millions of bacteria every second... you genocidal maniac.

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:42 pm

I have a Zen, though the 10GB model. On the road, there's only so many songs you'd want to listen to, so I'd go for the iPod instead, but get the 10GB one, it comes with a remote, which the Zen doesn't have, or you could get one for it, but at a price.

The Zen feels solid, and while bigger than the iPod, is roughly the same weight (it feels that way to me anyway..)

You'd have to keep the iPod in a pouch though, it scratches too easily.

DVDs.. hehe, haven't watched an episode of DS9 since way back when. I'd go for Stargate though, nothing fantastic about the first 2 seasons of DS9.
*yawn*

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:45 pm

Ugh... Creative products. Buy if you want horrible support.

The iPod is, on the other hand, an incredibly well engineered device. My girlfriend loves hers.

DS9? One of the most boring Star Trek series ever created. Just IMHO... :-)

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:44 pm

I guess I'm a bit biased.

I have a Mac iPod. I love the thing. I think the Zen has more features, but quite frankly, I've never had anything from Creative that didn't cause problems at some point.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:05 pm

I would go for the MP3 player.

Even though Im a big Star Trek fan, I don't care that much for the first couple of seasons of DS9. If it was the last two seasons, well that might be a different story (or even Voyager).
Twitter: @xmunos

sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:49 pm

If you want the best portable music player of any kind ever, get the iPod. it is a pleasure to use.

Maedhros
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:34 pm

iPod here, too.
The ego is only a bit of consciousness swimming upon the ocean of dark things. We are an enigma unto ourselves.

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:54 am

Repeat with me: iPod. :)
no sig

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:10 am

Another vote for an MP3 player, although I'd look at an Archos one as well, kicked the crud out of mine and it's still running. Just a thought. As for DS9 it was Season 3 when it started to truly kick butt, when TNG finished and it was the only thing out there, also that's when they got the Defiant. Still remember First Contact "Sturdy little ship" :lol:
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse