16 (31%)
Opera
11 (21%)

Total votes: 52

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:34 pm

I'm having troube downlading with Oprea. I download at like 15 KB/s!

Wings_SWmud
Gerbil

Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:15 pm

Opera here; Mozilla occasionally, but...I find myself using mouse gestures in Mozilla, to no avail, so...I always end up back with Opera. Seriously...I'm addicted. =)
21...47...69...122!

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:44 pm

my friend has pheonix, he hates it. he's having conflicts, and there is no uninstall.

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:09 am

Your friend is not very intelligent. :D Or most probably, he/she doesn't RTFM (which is 1 page BTW) :wink:

You just have to wipe out the folder and that's it. Phoenix doesn't install in the registry, program files or whatever. You just wipe the folder, then any shortcut you have made, and you're done.
no sig

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:08 am

Wings_SWmud wrote:
Opera here; Mozilla occasionally, but...I find myself using mouse gestures in Mozilla, to no avail, so...I always end up back with Opera. Seriously...I'm addicted. =)

You could try using type-ahead find to click links using the keyboard....

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:30 am

Use IE 6. Simplest interface and the buttons don't take up that much real estate on my screen.

It's not as complete as Opera, but you can download the Google tool bar and customize your own frequently visited pages on the Links shortcut bar. It works pretty well for me.
*yawn*

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:35 am

Howdy Etilena.

Forgot to ask you one thing the other day. What version of RH did you get?

Should have come with "enlightenment". The most innovative windows environment out there, and blazingly fast. Forgot to tell you about it ;)
no sig

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:44 pm

etilena wrote:
Use IE 6. Simplest interface and the buttons don't take up that much real estate on my screen.

It's not as complete as Opera, but you can download the Google tool bar and customize your own frequently visited pages on the Links shortcut bar. It works pretty well for me.

Have you tried phoenix? The bookmarks on toolbar is built in to the browser, Buttons do not take up much real estate. And what do you mean by 'simplest interface?'

element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:12 pm

Try using the "Blue" theme on the TR forums (can be changed in your profile). Doesn't look right with Mozilla/NN7. Looks great under IE6. Mozilla/NN7 don't support colored scrollbars, which I realize doesn't comply with the W3C CSS validator. Oh well...

Mozilla doesn't support coloured scrollbars mainly because of 2 reasons:
1. it's not W3C compliant
2. scrollbars belong to the browser chrome or the OS you're using, they're not part of a website, so the web designers may not have control over them about how they should look.

But if coloured scrollbars get approved by the W3C, Mozilla will support them.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

element

Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:18 pm

d4kk0n wrote:
Unfortunatly I use Internet Explorer. I once used Netscape all the time but I noticed that some webpages didn't look quite right. So because most people make webpages to look good in Internet Explorer that is what I use.

And with that you encourage web developpers to continue design non-standard code. Which, needles to say, is a bad thing.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

d4kk0n
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:55 pm

element wrote:
d4kk0n wrote:
Unfortunatly I use Internet Explorer. I once used Netscape all the time but I noticed that some webpages didn't look quite right. So because most people make webpages to look good in Internet Explorer that is what I use.

And with that you encourage web developpers to continue design non-standard code. Which, needles to say, is a bad thing.

True that, and after all this Opera talk i'm gonna try it out again. :)
Hello.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:17 am

d4kk0n wrote:
True that, and after all this Opera talk i'm gonna try it out again. :)

Mozilla 1.3 deserves serious consideration as well -- it has come a long way since its Netscape roots. Disregarding Microsoft-affiliated sites, there are very few pages that don't render properly in Mozilla these days.

getbornagain
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:53 am

yes i totally agree, though there are two thing i still find ie useful for...one statsman....seems to load faster and doesn't lock my system for a the couple of sec it seem to in netscape (7.02 basically mozilla 1.3) and to view streaming media on espn which only uses meadia player which doesn't refules to play unless it's in ie....least for me

element

Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:15 am

getbornagain wrote:
yes i totally agree, though there are two thing i still find ie useful for...one statsman....seems to load faster and doesn't lock my system for a the couple of sec it seem to in netscape (7.02 basically mozilla 1.3) and to view streaming media on espn which only uses meadia player which doesn't refules to play unless it's in ie....least for me

For all Mozilla plugin related problems or questions go to plugindoc.mozdev.org
ESPN should render perfect in Mozilla since they just redesigned their page to be tableless and W3C compliant (except for the obligatory MSN **** they have to have)

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3018
Last edited by element on Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:20 am

What is the issue with tables? A lot of sites use tables as a layout tool...

NeXus 6

Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:45 am

element wrote:
ESPN should render perfect in Mozilla since they just redesigned their page to be tableless and W3C compliant (except for the obligatory MSN bull they have to have)

Last I checked it didn't, but comes up fine in IE6. Are they using CSS posistioning?

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:14 am

Yahoolian wrote:
Have you tried phoenix? The bookmarks on toolbar is built in to the browser, Buttons do not take up much real estate. And what do you mean by 'simplest interface?'

Not really the 'simplest interface', probably just too used to IE and I have only ever used Mozilla, Netscape and Opera. The lack of buttons makes IE seem simpler, I guess. Though I just checked on Mozilla and Opera again, and Mozilla has even LESSER buttons. Yeap, think I've been using IE too long. :wink:
*yawn*

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:17 am

muyuubyou wrote:
Howdy Etilena.

Forgot to ask you one thing the other day. What version of RH did you get?

Should have come with "enlightenment". The most innovative windows environment out there, and blazingly fast. Forgot to tell you about it ;)

Using RH 8. I did manage to look at some of the screenshots you sent me, but I don't really get the general idea behind it. I thought the GUI was dependent on either GNOME or KDE?
*yawn*

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:31 am

etilena wrote:
Yahoolian wrote:

Not really the 'simplest interface', probably just too used to IE and I have only ever used Mozilla, Netscape and Opera. The lack of buttons makes IE seem simpler, I guess. Though I just checked on Mozilla and Opera again, and Mozilla has even LESSER buttons. Yeap, think I've been using IE too long. :wink:

Maybe you should/did switch? :wink: