Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ChrisDTC
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Groomsman gift ideas

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:26 am

I need some help coming up with something for my groomsman. There are seven of them, so cost needs to probably be no more than about $50. But Im open to pretty much any suggestion. Also, I have credit I can use at Newegg and Best Buy so anything from there is bonus points.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Groomsman gift ideas

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:31 am

Kind of depends on their personalities, but I would suggest something alcoholic in nature.

Whatever you do, it should be one of the nicest examples of whatever it is. Meaning if item genre X has a price range of $25-$50, and if item genre Y has a price range of $40 - $100, I'd go with genre X.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:32 am

Not a tech kind of gift but you could always get them flasks. Something nice looking with their initials isn't overly expensive, under the 50 dollar a piece range for sure.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:35 am

From Newegg, the only thing I can think of is a USB key, but $50 on that seems like a waste. You could always buy a gift card for them. Girls would be insulted at that, but guys are cool with it.

Maybe there's some stuff at ThinkGeek you could get for your groomsmen.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

ChrisDTC
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:53 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Kind of depends on their personalities, but I would suggest something alcoholic in nature.

I thought about that, and although they would probably like that we have always gotten stuff like that for each other, how many flasks or zippos does a man really need. Im the most techy of all of them but If I could afford netbooks or something like that I would do that because it would be useful.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:03 am

Hey if you can afford netbooks, I'd like to sign up for this "groomsman" job.

Also, to answer the question of how many flasks a man needs, the answer is 7 - one for every day of the week. It's like Bon Jovi said - sometimes you tell the day by the bottle that you drink.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:17 pm

I gave mine some decent multi-tools.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:46 pm

Multi-tools sound like a great idea. I use my Leatherman every day practically.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:52 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Multi-tools sound like a great idea. I use my Leatherman every day practically.

Thats actually a staple groomsmen gift. The micro line/s are pretty damn useful. They are called the Squirt.

Although I am partial to my Gerber Crucial
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

NeronetFi
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:13 pm

The Multi Tools is an excellent idea

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:24 pm

The groom (at my sister's wedding) gave us all shot glasses that had the engraving plates, but didn't pay to have them engraved. I hope he doesn't know my handle on here, or read this board because I know at least 2 folks who got "cheap douche" engraved. I lol'd.

Dieter
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:33 pm

I second (fouth?) the multi-tool suggestion. I've been a groomsman in lots of weddings, and the only gift that I really ever used was a Leatherman Micro. It was awesome and I used it all of the time. So awesome, somebody stole it off of my keyring.... (but left the keys)

I have been given flasks, cigar sets (cutters, etc), glasses, cuff links, tie tacks, you name it. Most was either thrown out or dusting away. The Micro was used constantly, and was a quality item.

I'm not much for trinkets anyway (I'd rather you save the money than give me some useless crap, and I don't expect a gift anyway), so take it with a grain of salt....

ChrisDTC
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:01 pm

Dieter wrote:
I second (fouth?) the multi-tool suggestion. I've been a groomsman in lots of weddings, and the only gift that I really ever used was a Leatherman Micro. It was awesome and I used it all of the time. So awesome, somebody stole it off of my keyring.... (but left the keys)

I have been given flasks, cigar sets (cutters, etc), glasses, cuff links, tie tacks, you name it. Most was either thrown out or dusting away. The Micro was used constantly, and was a quality item.

I'm not much for trinkets anyway (I'd rather you save the money than give me some useless crap, and I don't expect a gift anyway), so take it with a grain of salt....

I totally agree with you, I hate useless crap, and none of my guys are suit and tie type so cuff links and stuff like that would end up getting lost or thrown away.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:13 pm

This maybe out of your price range at around $100 a piece, but my cousin gave his groomsmen a personalized bobblehead doll. They came out awesome and I know it has no real purpose but how many of us have our own bobblehead. Here is the site: http://www.whoopassenterprises.com/
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

balzi
Gerbil XP

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:28 pm

definitely useful is best, but I want to defend the cuff-links idea. I don't think that anyone ever uses them again, BUT my brother in law gave us all cuff-links with different icons on them and in different styles, but all blue and silver. so it looked kinda cool.
maybe you could get them but not make it hte gift.. I don't know how much they are though.

alcohol sucks IMO, there's no lasting memory unless it comes in some fantastic bottle that you mount or display on the mantle piece. I think the general intent is to give the fella's something to remind them of the great day they shared.
Japanese officer from Goons: "Honourable English Soldier - have unexplectedly run out of ammunition, could please borrow two boxes?"
Bloodnok: "What? what? .. No!!! You haven't returned our lawn-mower yet!?!"

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:26 pm

I got each of my groomsmen something different. Take into account what each guy likes and is interested in, and go from there.

Though, I have to admit, the leatherman idea is a good one, because that's something most guys will actually use on a regular basis.
i5-9600K · Z390 Aorus Pro · 16GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 · MSI TwinFrozr HD7850 · Intel 760p 512GB · WD 1TB · HP ZR24w · Corsair VX450 · Antec Solo · Win10/Ubuntu 18.10

ChrisDTC
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:28 pm

balzi wrote:
definitely useful is best, but I want to defend the cuff-links idea. I don't think that anyone ever uses them again, BUT my brother in law gave us all cuff-links with different icons on them and in different styles, but all blue and silver. so it looked kinda cool.
maybe you could get them but not make it hte gift.. I don't know how much they are though.

alcohol sucks IMO, there's no lasting memory unless it comes in some fantastic bottle that you mount or display on the mantle piece. I think the general intent is to give the fella's something to remind them of the great day they shared.

Im already buying more alcohol than they could even dream of for the wedding

balzi
Gerbil XP

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:57 pm

ChrisDTC wrote:
Im already buying more alcohol than they could even dream of for the wedding

I meant it sucks as a gift, you're not talking about a gift are you??

someone said different stuff for each - that's a great idea.
I bought ties for mine, but not ones that we even wore on the day, and I regret it now. Yeah, they last, but they would never wear them - my best man wears a suit only if his wife absolutely insists that flannel, his favourite comfy jeans, and skater shoes are *NOT* appropriate. :roll:

if one them loves a drink, them get them the sweetest most trophy looking bottle opener you can find :D
Japanese officer from Goons: "Honourable English Soldier - have unexplectedly run out of ammunition, could please borrow two boxes?"
Bloodnok: "What? what? .. No!!! You haven't returned our lawn-mower yet!?!"

slavik6
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:22 pm

I gave my groomsmen circuit board coasters from think geek. http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/mugs/5d28/

They are all tech guys so they loved them.
i7 4790K - ASUS Z87-A - MSI GTX 1060 6GT OC - SAMSUNG 850EVO

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:43 pm

I got my groomsman wallets.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:46 pm

None of my groomsmen were techies at all so I got them all money clips. My best man though I got him a watch on top of the money clip.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Common Sensei
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:08 am

If you are willing to go to $60 a head, you can get them the Wow Putter:

http://nerdapproved.com/misc-gadgets/the-wow-putter/
Wandering in a vast forest at night, I have only a faint light to guide me. A stranger appears and says to me: 'My friend, you should blow out your candle in order to find your way more clearly.' The stranger is a theologian.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:45 am

Common Sensei wrote:
If you are willing to go to $60 a head, you can get them the Wow Putter:

http://nerdapproved.com/misc-gadgets/the-wow-putter/

I would be ashamed to have that atrocity in my bag.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:10 pm

man. I clicked the link thinking it would be some sort of World of Warcraft-related golf thing. The real thing was somehow more horrifying though.

ChrisDTC
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:08 pm

I went with the Gerber Crucial, I found a pretty good deal here http://www.fedtactical.com/crucial-tool ... 10548.html

And a while back I bought them these http://www.geardiary.com/2008/04/06/the ... ht-review/

And I will probably put them all in a soft sided cooler or something.

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:39 pm

Out of interest how may people are going to the wedding? Around here its normally 1 groomsman per 100 guests. Of course its normally $500 per groomsman in cash as well, but that's normally to cover the suits, travel, etc.
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:21 pm

I had 4 groomsmen's...I don't know how many attended the wedding though, Id ont really remember it very well.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:27 am

ChrisDTC wrote:
I went with the Gerber Crucial, I found a pretty good deal here http://www.fedtactical.com/crucial-tool ... 10548.html

woot! I am telling you they will love this tool. Thats a damn good price also, I may just get a second one to keep in my laptop bag.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

dextrous
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:29 am

I am looking at getting different gifts for each of my groomsmen. There is not a single gift they would all like, so I like the idea of getting them each something they would appreciate. Of course it could be a challenge to find something around the same price for each of them.
"I take sibling rivalry to the whole next level, if it doesn't require minor sugery or atleast a trip to the ER, you don't love her." - pete_roth
"Yeah, I see why you'd want a good gas whacker then." - VRock

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:31 am

I did pocket watches for my groomsmen, but that multi tool idea is stellar. Amazon sells the Skeletool for $60, IIRC.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus