Used Car for $7000ish

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Used Car for $7000ish

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:49 am

Hey guys, my mom's van just died on her. She's looking for a new car between $5,000 (Dad's Price) and $10,000 (Mom's Price) so lets go for around $7,000. I think they are looking at around 50,000 and reliable. I was thinking about the 2002-2007 Toyota Camry and 2003-2008 Toyota Corolla. I'm a huge Toyota fan and feel they are really nice cars, but am very open to suggestion. They would rather have a car they can run into the ground than have something that is super nice, so keep that in mind. Also, 25 mpg+ (30+ would be way better) for what we are talking. Also has to seat 4 people, even though both me and my brother are out of the house.

Any suggestions or personal experiences with used cars that fit the bill would be perfect. Thanks in advance guys, you always have been a huge help.
StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Re: Used Car for $7000ish

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:15 am

Depending on where you live, a Subaru is a great choice. My wife and I bought a Forester for ~$5,500 two years ago. Great car. I grew up with 4wd's and had a Toyota Camry for 6 years, and the Forester is the best vehicle in the snow I've ever driven. If weather is ever a concern, it deserves a look.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 100/2, 100-300 APO
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:24 am

Your price range should include a large number of Camrys, Corollas/Matrixes, Accords, Civics and Fits from 2004 onward.

While Toyota is the world's #1 auto maker and has a well-deserved reputation for reliability, I find that Hondas are much more fun to drive.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:38 am

Ford F series/Chevrolet Silverado

You live in the USA and have all these awesome fuel guzzlers available to you and cheap fuel, whats wrong with your parents? Toyota Camry? Bah.
AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:49 am

AMD Damo wrote:Ford F series/Chevrolet Silverado

You live in the USA and have all these awesome fuel guzzlers available to you and cheap fuel, whats wrong with your parents? Toyota Camry? Bah.

What is even vaguely awesome about a truck if you're never going to use it as a truck? Spending more money on gas just for the joy of it?
Last edited by grantmeaname on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krogoth wrote:Care to enlightenment me?
grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:55 am

This may seem like an odd suggestion, but Buicks happen to be pretty reliable. I find used Toyota's to be a bit overpriced.

I've been driving the same Jeep for 11 years, but they are certainly not for everyone.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Great idea. Personally, I'm a big fan of Nissan and Honda.

I'd recommend a Nissan Altima or Honda Accord. A Subaru would fit the bill nicely, as well, if there is a chance of snowy driving in the winter.
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:02 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
AMD Damo wrote:Ford F series/Chevrolet Silverado

What is even vaguely awesome about a truck if you're never going to use it as a truck? Spending more money on gas just for the joy of it?

sounds like tons of people in the states though, almost never see most trucks or suvs towing anything, or just hauling themselves ever because its a big vehicle and they look cool thumping their sound systems :D

still though if they need power they can do a v6 camry and it should be reliable enough, the v4 do fairly well overall too, a comparable vehicle for durability would be a honda accord they feel about the same
probably drinking some tea.
Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Blazex wrote:the v4 do fairly well overall too

V4, eh? My SWAG is that the last V4 sold in the US was a 1974 Saab Sonnet using the Ford Taunus V4 engine.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Alright thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll go ahead and give you some "background" so that you can understand what we are dealing with. First off I'm in Florida, I wish I had to worry about snow...but I don't. Second off my mom is only interested in Sedans, Coupes, and Hatchbacks mainly because my brother already has a Ford Explorer Sport Track and as we don't live with my parents, we come around and help if need be. I have a Toyota MR2 and I've had more fun than any Honda out there :P But I do understand where you are coming from, as I said her van just died (a V4 Mazda MPV to be exact) so I would say she isn't too worried about the "fun" of the car.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming!
StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:47 pm

Unless your mom has unfulfilled hotrodding needs, I suggest sticking with the Camry. Something around a 2000-2003 model ought to be within her budget. It has a great reliability reputation and enough space to be useful, and unlike many of the used Hondas on the market, it was probably never flogged. Toyota builds around a million of them each year so you shouldn't have any trouble finding her desired options package and features in the used-car market. The four cylinder model has enough power to move the car around and can get better than 35mpg on the highway.

Of course, if the Camry feels too big, the Corolla is about the same thing in a slightly smaller package. And if she decides that something like the Matrix is a better replacement for her MPV, check around for better deals on a Pontiac Vibe as it is the same vehicle with GM rebadging.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Just because you can zip through corners in a Honda doesn't mean that everyone who drives one pushes it that hard. The Accord and the Civic are some of the best-selling cars in the U.S.

For sedate cruising, you may not notice the difference between a Toyota and a Honda. When you push it closer to the limit, the heritage shows.

Incidentally, I'd pick the S2000 over any MR2 ever sold.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:16 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:Just because you can zip through corners in a Honda doesn't mean that everyone who drives one pushes it that hard. The Accord and the Civic are some of the best-selling cars in the U.S.

Technically true, although as it happens, Toyota currently outsells both of those with Camry/Corolla by about 100k units per year in the US market. As Hondas are more popular targets for abuse and there are somewhat fewer of them to begin with, I stand by my claim.

For sedate cruising, you may not notice the difference between a Toyota and a Honda. When you push it closer to the limit, the heritage shows.

True enough, mostly because Honda started using a 4-point double control-arm suspenson on the Accord and Civic from about 1989 forward. Unfortunately, the Civic was debased in 2001 and now uses MacPherson fronts.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:33 am

I think many posters have forgotten that the car we're talking about is a minivan replacement for an empty-nest couple that has the ability to seat 4 comfortably and gets decent mileage. Given those parameters, anything in the Camry or Accord range from 2000 to today is a player with the precise model year determined by the budget. What little information we have implies they consider cars akin to appliances, so I'll stick with recommending appliance-like cars.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:55 am

StuG wrote:Alright thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll go ahead and give you some "background" so that you can understand what we are dealing with. First off I'm in Florida, I wish I had to worry about snow...but I don't. Second off my mom is only interested in Sedans, Coupes, and Hatchbacks mainly because my brother already has a Ford Explorer Sport Track and as we don't live with my parents, we come around and help if need be. I have a Toyota MR2 and I've had more fun than any Honda out there :P But I do understand where you are coming from, as I said her van just died (a V4 Mazda MPV to be exact) so I would say she isn't too worried about the "fun" of the car.

As mentioned by JAE, S2000 will give your MR2 a run for your money. That's without even throwing around NSX. :)

Sounds like your mom is in need of your average Camry/Accord. I would avoid Subaru since these seem to be thirsty due to awd which is useless. Mitsubishis have spotty reliability sans Evo. You may want to look at Mazda3 or Mazda6. I've heard some good things about those in general. They seem to be a notch under Toyota/Honda but quite good nonetheless. Mazda3 hatchback should be roomy and fairly sporty too.
Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm going to also suggest and 03+ accord or camry, I prefer honda to toyota for handling characteristics alone, otherwise it doesn't really matter, both are essentially the same in reliability, cost of ownership, value, etc.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585
jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:17 pm

goin a lil off track with the s2k and mr2 debate here, but the camry is my choice,
ive driven a couple accords here and there but preferably i stand by the camry, theres an 88 camry sitting in the drive way still working comfortably at nearly 200k miles; nothing as nice as the 90 mx-5 sitting next to it(then again i love driving as low to the ground as possible) but it seats 4 or 5 people and gets around as it should, they can get up and go if they really need to but they just work for what they are. if they were happy with an mpv, why not consider a newer model?
its really all down to preference, the cars are nearly the same thing, i believe the camry just wins on trunk space by a few inches, they've always had large or largeish trunks, i fit an entire shed, that was taken apart, into the back of the 88 model with the seats down, as i drove it off the junk yard... :D
Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:20 pm

Do you have a solid income to be able to make monthly payments??? How about financing a small car like Nissan Versa Hatchback? For about $350 a month for 48 months, you'll have a great car that's under warranty. It adds up to a lot more than $7000 I know. :( but if you can make the monthly payments, it's well worth it IMO. I didn't have a good experience with used cars.
i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz / Cooler Master V8 / Asus P8P67 Evo / 8GB G.skill DDR3-1600 / MSI GTX 560 Ti / Seasonic S12-650 / 1TB Spinpoint F3 / Corsair 600T Graphite / those cheap 1440p Korean monitors
BoBzeBuilder
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:15 pm

I find Camry's have a nicer, quieter ride, but the accord has a better driving feel.
SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:03 pm

BoBzeBuilder wrote:Do you have a solid income to be able to make monthly payments??? How about financing a small car like Nissan Versa Hatchback? For about $350 a month for 48 months, you'll have a great car that's under warranty. It adds up to a lot more than $7000 I know. :( but if you can make the monthly payments, it's well worth it IMO. I didn't have a good experience with used cars.

Financing only hides the fact that you're spending more money. You're still spending more money. You're just paying interest on it and delaying until it's paid off.

If you can buy a car you want with cash, IMHO it's insane to go finance something that costs a whole lot more. The worst car accidents happen in the showroom.

Every car is a used car as soon as you drive it off the lot. And I don't mean that in the cliche sense. Every new car I have owned has developed quirks within the first year of owning it. And these have been good reliable cars. But no matter how good the car, it starts developing used car symptoms as soon as you drive it home. On the balance, there are countless cars only a few years old that are just as good as they were that first year, that will serve you well for many more years. It's nonsense to say you need a new car to get a reliable car. Cars now are more reliable than they've ever been, used or new.
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:13 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:I find Camry's have a nicer, quieter ride, but the accord has a better driving feel.

Don't forget the Nissan Altima and Maxima. They are in that group as well, with excellent drivability and good comfort. I haven't owned one, but the Mazda 6 is probably in the running there too.
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Having just put 2k worth of abs components on an 05 maxima for a common issue I'd be hesitant to recommend them myself. The 6 is a nice car, but they're more comparable to a hyundai than to a honda or toyota at least in look/feel/perceived quality
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585
jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:27 pm

the maxima is nice, it only offers a v6, while the altima gives option to v4/v6, same as the mazda6.(never seen a v4 model nearby but its listed) next to all the nissan model vehicles run the v6 out of the 350z practically so you know there should be little worry of power, most any modern sedan doesnt seem to have low power now anyway.
maybe look at something like a scion xd, they start around 15kish and maybe find a newer model for around what you're lookin at, suppose to be the cheapest car you could purchase with a builtin sat nav system; a used seems to be around 10k.
another decently sized vehicle in the price range you could maybe look at would be a mazda protege5 somewhat of a wagon/hatch car they seem to avg about 6.5 minimum to about 10k used, rode around in my friends model a number of times and it was a nice car overall.
Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Blazex wrote:the maxima is nice, it only offers a v6, while the altima gives option to v4/v6, same as the mazda6.(never seen a v4 model nearby but its listed) next to all the nissan model vehicles run the v6 out of the 350z practically so you know there should be little worry of power, most any modern sedan doesnt seem to have low power now anyway.

It's an I4, not a V4. Those haven't been sold in USA for years as mentioned previously.
Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:13 pm

4 cylinder basically, whatever; and yea i didnt think the us had the option of a 6 cyl engine on the mazda6
Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Blazex wrote:4 cylinder basically, whatever

It's not "whatever" unless you want to be strung up on a lampost by every car enthusiast within earshot :wink:

Most four-cylinder engines are "inline" or straight engines. Other common configurations for autmotive piston engines include the "boxer" or flat engine (still popular in Subarus and Porsches), a V-engine, and a W-engine (which is used on a few exotics from VW/Audi and Bugatti).
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:36 am

Can't go wrong with either the Accord or a Camry, they sell by the millions so parts wont be super expensive, and good upkeep will them running for years. As an owner of both a Camry (97) and an Accord Coupe (06), i prefer the ride in the Accord because it feels relatively more sportier, yet still comfortable and relaxing. Both are tame when you compare them to a bimmer of coarse, but your mom isn't looking for adventure, she is looking for comfort and convenience. So have her test drive both, as you can't go wrong with either one so the winner will surely come down to ride preference.
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:19 pm

Now I'm in this boat! About the same budget. I require a manual transmission.

I would love to snag an '04ish accord V6 sedan if I could find it.

What search engines would you suggest? I have a trusted shop to get any vehicle inspected pre-purchase, so I would like to stay away from dealers if I can avoid them.

If only I could swing a few more $ to get a 2002 or 2003 S2000.
SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:29 pm

I've bought a car I saw advertised on AutoTrader before, and used their results to negotiate down the price for my current car.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:38 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:Now I'm in this boat! About the same budget. I require a manual transmission.

I would love to snag an '04ish accord V6 sedan if I could find it.

The MT requirement makes things so much more difficult. It's always a challenge to track down a suitable car.
BoBzeBuilder wrote:Do you have a solid income to be able to make monthly payments??? How about financing a small car like Nissan Versa Hatchback? For about $350 a month for 48 months, you'll have a great car that's under warranty. It adds up to a lot more than $7000 I know. :( but if you can make the monthly payments, it's well worth it IMO. I didn't have a good experience with used cars.
I'm not sure what sort of "bad luck" would justify spending over double the money.
mattsteg
Gerbil God

Next

Return to The Back Porch