Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Analysts are anal

Wed May 07, 2003 1:48 pm

This is from Cnet's news.com report on WinHEC:
With Longhorn, Microsoft hopes to improve the visual quality of the computing experience. Company representatives at a WinHEC demonstration of a pre-beta version of Longhorn said that the goal is to be able to run the OS on screens with a resolution of 120 dots per inch or higher.

That's far more refined than screens today. Current 17-inch SXGA displays have a resolution of about 95 dots per square inch, said Bob O'Donnell, an analyst at market research firm IDC.

More dots lead to crisper, more defined images. They can also make it easier to view high-resolution images. Increasing the resolution on a current monitor shrinks the size of the image, a phenomenon that can be observed by cranking the resolution setting in a computer's control panel to the maximum. At some top settings, text becomes almost impossible to read. With a higher overall resolution, users won't have to go to the extremes of the resolution spectrum.

"Higher isn't better, if everything gets smaller," said O'Donnell.

Lol 95 dots per square inch eh?? Currently my monitor is displaying about 8428 dots per square inch. I'm guessing most people run their monitors no higher than between about 80 and 90 dpi. Oh and Mr. O'Donnell, what if you'd like to fit more on your screen?
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 07, 2003 4:58 pm

lol @ idiot analyst bigshot :-D

So glad I'm not gonna be him :-D,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Wed May 07, 2003 5:03 pm

Some of that bs that comes outta cnet makes u wonder or not it that whole team was hired to do the books at Enron!! :wink:

eweb
Gerbil In Training

dpsi vs dpi

Sun May 11, 2003 8:31 am

In defense of anal-ist Bob, it's certainly possible he said dpi, not dots per square inch, and the Cnet guy screwed it up. Or his editor.

But "With a higher overall resolution, users won't have to go to the extremes of the resolution spectrum" sounds like gibberish.

Certainly should expect better from a technology site.

Oh well, guess I'll stick to reading tech-report. :D