Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Danger
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Paint Balling :)

Wed May 07, 2003 5:14 pm

Recently my brothers and I got into playing paintball in our woods. It was a blast. We both started playing with friends who had extra equipment for us to use ( sucky masks, guns , etc.) Last week we had a game of 9 vs 9. It was so much fun. Now I need to buy my own gun but don't know what to get. I researched a little but want players info and not manufactureres telling me how good their paintgun is. My brother just bought a Spyder Aggressor XT which is pretty good for the price he paid.

I have been reading about the Tipmann 98 custom. If you play paintball or know a lot about any of this paintball stuff post it here. Paintguns, equipment, strategies, customising , etc.

PS. The gun I have been using is a pump Stringray :oops:
Cooler MAster HAF case
Corsair 850w powersuply
MSI 790FX-GD70
AMD Phenon x4 695 Black Edition 3.4 GHZ
GSkill 6 GB DDR3 1600

[H]ance
Gerbil

Wed May 07, 2003 6:19 pm

well i can give you some info . i am not a total paint ball freak but i do have three guns .

i have a tippman 98 custom a tippman procarbine and the new tippman A5. of the three guns i have the 98 custtom is by far my Least favorite . when you tear one of them down to clean there is like 50 little parts that fly everywhere and its a bitch to put back together :evil:

the procarbine i have i added a rifled barrel to and it is more accurate than the 98 and much much easier to clean alot less part and dosent break nearly as much paint as the 98 dose . i have probably shot 15000 rounds through my pro carbine and i have never broke a ball !!!!!!!

the A5 is tippmans newest latest greatest gun it has a co2 powered hopper on it that force feeds a ball into the chamber everytime you pull the tirgger . i have took mine and tipped it and probably a 60 degree angle to the side and it still never missed a ball . its really pretty similar to my procarbine other than the powerfeed thats built into it .

if i were to recommend a good starter gun to you i would have to say the Pro Carbine becuase they are very resonable in price around 150 bucks .

my friend has 15 acres that is all forts and stuff that we play in . he has about 20 guns that he rents out and he has far less trouble with the tippman Pro Carbines than any other gun . the 98's arent to bad but not as good as the Pro's . He has a couple of spyders that he rents out also and he has more trouble with them than any other gun he rents .

the website i buy all my paintball stuff from is http://www.paintballdiscounters.com there prices are pretty good and i have always got promt reliable service from them . right now they have the Pro Carbine for 144.99 and they have the Spyder Aggressor XT for 66.99 .

hope some of this stuff helps you .. if you have any questions just send me a private message and i will get back to you asap .

also if you go to http://www.warpig.com they have alot of info on paintball stuff

Danger
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu May 08, 2003 8:11 pm

guess not many people play paintball, you should try it ...its a blast
Cooler MAster HAF case
Corsair 850w powersuply
MSI 790FX-GD70
GSkill 6 GB DDR3 1600

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 08, 2003 8:34 pm

I play paintball a bit, though I haven't played in a long time.

I can second the Tipman '98 custom. My friend had one and he hated it. Flatline barrel and all. It's a pain in the ass to keep care of and if it's not squeeky clean every time you play, your gonna get very poor results.

It breaks balls like nobodies business if it's not broken down every couple of rounds.

Myself, I use a Pirahna Pro TS G3 and it's pretty nice.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

LJ
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 08, 2003 9:01 pm

I played paintball a lot several years ago with my friends. In fact, we played so much that we had extra CO2 in case if people who were playing with us needed CO2 refills. We had a 50lb tank, a 20lb backup and a 7lb backup-backup.

As far as guns go, I've seen a lot, used a lot, and I've seen what problems people have and which guns are generally problem free. If you're going to get into the sport to play for fun time and again, i'd recommend getting a Spyder of some kind. There are a million kinds right now and I'd actually recommend against the electropneumatic ones. Get a standard open bolt one because you'll have fewer problems and the accuracy difference isn't important for most players.

If you're hardcore and you want accuracy, get an Autococker. I owned a '97 and a Bob Long Autococker and they were both great guns, few problems (although you need to know how to adjust them), and they were blindingly accurate and very quiet/responsive. If you put a good barrel on them, you'll be a sniper for sure.

I'd actually recommend against most tippman guns. We've had a few pro carbines and some model '98's and they've always had problems. If you take them apart to fix them you're **** because there are usually > 100 pieces many of which are very small.

Spyder guns with open bolts are very easy to deal with and dont' give you trouble--a crossfeed is good too because it doesn't mind blowback. They're just reliable no hassle guns and they're fairly accurate/responsive for their category.

Danger
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu May 08, 2003 9:37 pm

I read that if you aren't using the really good paintballs with the 98 tipmann custom and the flatline barrel that it will break most of the paintballs.

My brother has a spyder and its pretty nice but I don't like the feeder ontop. I want a gun that I can aim by looking down the barrel and not the side. Any suggestions?...plus I want a gun that I can put a good barrel on, double trigger, and maybe even a scope. It doesnt have to shoot a ton of balls at the same time b/c I won't be playing any speedball.
Cooler MAster HAF case
Corsair 850w powersuply
MSI 790FX-GD70
GSkill 6 GB DDR3 1600

[H]ance
Gerbil

Thu May 08, 2003 10:06 pm

the model 98 has a ton of parts thats for sure LJ . The pro carbine is alot better than the 98 . not perfect but alot better . The new A5 is by far the best of the tippman guns it has push pins the entire gun can be field stripped and put back together in less than a minute . pop out three or four pins the entire action drops out run a squeege through it drop the action back in . put the pins back in and your back in business .

the field i help my buddy run rents about 15 pro carbines 3 or 4 98's couple of spyders . as far as having problems with the guns the pro carbines are the best of the bunch . my personal pro carbine has shot over 10000 rounds and i have never broken a single ball . we always shoot good paint that helps alot but still than many rounds and no breaks is awsome .

as far as maintanience goes my friend has three automag's they are by far the most troublesome of the whole bunch DONT GET AN AUTOMAG .

TheVM68Guy
Gerbil

Thu May 08, 2003 10:28 pm

Go with either a Tippman or a Spyder. Both are inexpensive, fairly reliable, and offer upgrades as your experience grows. Try to stay away from guns like the Automags and Autocockers until you are sure you are in total love with the sport and have lots of money to burn ($2000 custom Autococker for me). Do not under any circumstances buy an electronic gun. Leave them for the pros. Lots of us recreational players hate being shot at by guys with them and being hit multiple times even after we call 'out' because the shooter got too excited and forgot to let up on the trigger. If you can find one get a VM68. You may get laughed at on the field, but the guns are indestructable. I got mine in 1993-ish, and other that running it though some water after playing, nothing much happens to it.

Remember each trigger pull is $0.05 - $0.10 down the barrel.

house
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 09, 2003 12:30 am

I wish I could play paintball some more, but my all my friends are apparently huge pussy's and are too afraid to even try it out :cry:

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 09, 2003 12:35 am

I know how that goes... Ive been trying to get into paintball, but all my cousins and friends are too chicken to give it a try... Its not like im asking them to play with no gear on or something. :-?

LJ
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 09, 2003 2:11 am

Remember each trigger pull is $0.05 - $0.10 down the barrel.

That's only if you're getting ripped off =P You should be able to find decent balls for less than $0.03 each. I've seen deals for abour $0.02/ball but you have to make sure you're not getting mixed brand balls or anything like that. Find balls that are good for your gun and use those--it's not necessary to go with fancy balls like marbelizers. I find that BigBall isn't bad and it's really cheap (we can buy 2000 for $45.00 at a paintfield around here).

You really can't think about it like "I just shot $0.0x down the barrel." If you're having trouble using too many balls then what you need to do is limit everyone to 20balls/round or something like that. You'll find that people shoot much more carefully when they only have 20 balls in their hopper =)

Also, other game types can make it interesting. When we played with like 15 players we'd play a bunch of games but the ones where we shot the fewest balls were games like "VIP". We'd have a "safe point" where the "VIP" needs to reach (we had a shed we could use). Then three people would volunteer to be "assassins". We'd send the remainder of the players and the "VIP" (who had to wear blaze orange) to a point pretty far from the safepoint. Then we'd give the snipers 10 minutes to set themselves up. Then, the "VIP" team would have to get the VIP to the safe point within 10 minutes without him getting shot. If they run out of time the snipers win and if the snipers shoot the VIP they win. Anyhow, it was pretty fun--the most important part was to make sure you play it on land where there is a lot of foliage everywhere and in a situation where it would be possible for the snipers to be behind the VIP team with respect to the safe point. That way the game would be a lot more dynamic.

TheVM68Guy
Gerbil

Fri May 09, 2003 4:19 am

A nickel a ball is what we figured it out to be when we were using field paint. Mail ordering cases made it cheaper. But most rec players start out using field paint. Limiting everyone is ok but they all have to agree, which might be harder to do at a public field. We do play where we limit the paint we carry. My PGP holds 10, and I carry an extra 5 tubes of 10 for each game.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri May 09, 2003 5:56 am

Cool, I'm glad someone else thought to start this thread. I wanted to get some friends together at my place (16 acres) and play some SplatBall, but we really needed a bit more equipment. I am probably going to look into the Tippman A5 after recommendations here since I will probably be shooting really cheap balls since there will be kids playing too on parent's budgets.

Luckily someone I know has the 50lb CO2 tank all filled up and ready, plus a new hiree at work has a friend that runs a field which has been landscaped for paintball, and gets fairly large groups together. I wish I had gotten into it sooner though, as I feel a bit ridiculous being 33 and chasing around a bunch of 18-25 year olds. It is gratifying however to kill several witout being touched by using smarts rather than spray and pray. Some of these kids just fire away giving away thier locations, and can't hit a running target heading straight for them because they cant see through the paint (hehe).

Looking forward to playing this year...

-LS

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri May 09, 2003 8:25 am

Remember fellas...when u spring an ambush....make sure u use ur weapon :wink:

This is my weapon, this is my gun....this ones for shootin...this one's for fun :lol:

doobie03
Gerbil

my 98 custom

Fri May 09, 2003 9:02 am

i bought a tippmann 98 custom last march (2002) and its been great! it's only broken a few balls. (sure it will break cheap paint ever so often) it is VERY hard to clean and put back together. but it has been a very durable and reliable gun for me. i would recommend this gun for any woods playing, scenario games and such. it probably isnt the best gun for speedball but a good gun nonetheless.

Danger
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2003 3:11 pm

we all play (around 20 of us at times) in the woods which is on some guys property. Last week he heard us playing and came over.He then said he doesnt care if we play there as long as we tell him ah ead of time. Its awesome there. Theres hills, trails, 2 bridges and a creek :lol: I just started playng b/c my brother wanted more people and thye let me use all their old extra equipment. I loved playing and thats why I want my own stuff. We also use the walmart paint. $25 for 1,000 balls.
Cooler MAster HAF case
Corsair 850w powersuply
MSI 790FX-GD70
GSkill 6 GB DDR3 1600