Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Tekman
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

What's hot on the technical job market these days?

Wed May 07, 2003 5:36 pm

I recently joined the masses of the unemployed.

These days, the job market is probably the worst it's ever been for us technical people.

So what's hot and what's not?

Will a C/C++ background be worth anything?

Is everyone switching over to Java/XML/.NET?

Would being able to install and troubleshoot Networks be stronger?

What certifications and skills are most in demand?

I'm not too worried yet but any advice would be greatly appreciated. :wink:
Last edited by Tekman on Wed May 07, 2003 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pentium 4, 2.26Ghz, Antec-Case with 330 Watt PWR, 512 MB of 2700 DDR, Geforce3 Ti 200, 60 GB Seagate Barracuda as Primary drive and, 20 GB Western Digital for backups. Running Windows 2000 Pro and Win 98 on dual boot for running older games.

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed May 07, 2003 5:49 pm

C/C++ is always a strong selling point, .NET is catching on very quickly, Java has its markets, and I suppose database architects/admins are in good demand right now.
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Thu May 08, 2003 3:32 am

The current market in Europe and Japan demand a lot of C/C++ and Java. EJB (Enterprise Java Beans) is very well payed. SAP definitely has a place (if you call that programming) , and C# is taking some now, but not much. XML skills are appreciated.

Certifications help. Even MinesweeperConsultantSolitarieExpert :D . Oracle, Sun, Red Hat and Cisco certifications may be very helpful . In Japan some employers filtered by making them compulsory.

Perl, PHP, Python, etc... are often considered, but when it's the first language offered, salaries tend to be lower.

I had a job in Japan by knowing Cobol and Fortran. That's pretty unusual but the pay was like DOUBLE the "common" market (~$175k).
Database and OS skills are very important in that profile.

The above is based on my experience.

This link is just great: http://mshiltonj.com/sm/

This thread from january at Slashdot has some reports about this respect: http://developers.slashdot.org/develope ... tml?tid=98

from a post in that thread:

monster.com   hotjobs.com   dice.com    %

Java             2739          1000       1957     27.82%
C++              2103          1000       1534     22.65%
Visual Basic     2070           969       1127     20.35%
Perl              955           517        577     10.01%
Javascript        925           455        498      9.17%
C#                290           235        183      3.46%
Ada               384           175         57      3.01%
Fortran           124            68         48      1.17%
Scheme             39           138         46      1.09%
Python             58            43         33      0.65%
Smalltalk          42            27         32      0.49%
Lisp               12             4          9      0.12%

9741          4631       6101

This other list includes other skills (linked by Slashdot, but no longer slashdotted :D):
http://www.bitbreather.com/programming_languages.html

This one specializes in programming: http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

Hope you find all this bluff helpful :D

edit: MCSE now fixed ;)
Last edited by muyuubyou on Thu May 08, 2003 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
no sig

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu May 08, 2003 6:22 am

I have been unemployed for the past five months ( see http://www.tech-report.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6943 ), and now I have found a new job.

Certifications aren't what they used to be. Sure some companies filter by asking for certain certs but nowadays most are looking for actual job experience. I find it that if you know a bunch of different systems well it is better than knowing one system on an expert level. Same goes with programming. I am not an expert with any programing language but am familer with them, This shows future employers that you can be trained to do things "their" way. (And you haven't devloped deep and ingrained bad habits) Also some languages are very similar its just that the syntax may be different, such as C, C++, and Java.

My best suggestion keep sending out those resume's and don't lose hope. I found my self sending at least 10 resume's per day when I was looking for a job.

Some stuff that I found companies asking for were: VOIP, Fiber Networking, JAVA, .NET, Active Directory with experience managing Group Policy, SAP, and a strong hardware background. But then again I was looking for a Net Admin job.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Tekman
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thanks

Thu May 08, 2003 8:49 am

Wow, five months?

I don't think that my savings/unemployment will sustain me that long unless I move in with relatives or a girlfriend.

What do you think was most critical to your success in landing a job?

-Willingness to relocate?
-Previous work experience?
-Good references from past employeers?
-Do you have a portfolio of programs you've written?
-Skill set?
-Good resume writting skills?
-Good interviewing skills?

Have be doing some type of programming since highschool, all through college and worked over 3 years as a professional programmer. The only snag might be that for the past 3+ years I haven't been doing programming on a professional level. At the time of leaving my programming job, doing network/pc support seemed more appealing. I have some C++ programs that I did on my own at home. Have also developed modules for Dungeon Seige and Neverwinter nights, which involved a lot of scripting.

I do have a variety of skills outside of programming. I have a Network+ cerfitication and have done network and desktop support. Have also been building my own pcs since 1992.
Pentium 4, 2.26Ghz, Antec-Case with 330 Watt PWR, 512 MB of 2700 DDR, Geforce3 Ti 200, 60 GB Seagate Barracuda as Primary drive and, 20 GB Western Digital for backups. Running Windows 2000 Pro and Win 98 on dual boot for running older games.

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 08, 2003 9:11 am

That and where did you find the job you got? From someone you know or through a website like monster.com or operationIT? Or did you go through some kind of head hunter service? I am going to move to Arizona in a year and need to look for a job over there. I don't have a lot the time to fly over to look so I have do some searching online but so far have not found much. Maybe I just need to pay someone to look for me. :wink:

Satchmo
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 08, 2003 1:07 pm

Dolemite -

Right now, Arizona has been kind of weird for tech-related jobs. Motorola, one of our larger employers, has recently outsourced all of its network personnel AND networking infrastructure to a company called CSI (I think, I'll have to confirm). I suspect that Honeywell may have already done something similar. Intel has always been its own beast, so I don't have a feel for what they're doing. I believe IBM just purchased an American Express IT division in Arizona, and they seem to be retaining a number of employees (and maybe expanding).

Programmers are looking to specialty companies like Computer Guidance Corp (Java, Unix environment, construction software specialty) for employment. General techs are finding employment with schools and school districts. The City of Phoenix (and don't ignore all the various departments either - like Housing, Community & Economic Development, etc.) is generally a good employer - decent pay, good benefits for all types of tech positions.

Consider also looking at non-tech companies for employment as a Chief Information Officer (or subordinate). Mid-size privately-held companies are really Arizona's specialty. For example, Bashas' Inc. is a local grocery chain doing over $1 billion in sales, and they are privately-held. They had a record sales year last year.

Like all the other states, we have a budget problem this year, but that really is only affecting state, county, and city government employment. I have a feeling that these entities will be hiring soon, considering they put a freeze on hiring about a year ago and are getting pretty desperate for people.

I'll post any leads if I hear of them.

dolemitecomputers

Thu May 08, 2003 2:06 pm

Ok thanks for the info. I'll do some more searching. I am really just looking for an IT/IS type job just doing grunt work. Not looking for anything engineering or programming related.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu May 08, 2003 5:15 pm

Things that were very successful for me:

1) Sent out resumes form newspaper want adds and internet sites such as monster, hotjobs , etc. Also went to actual businesses websites and sent an email to HR.

2) Followed up email resumes with a phone call to HR or asked for the CIO or other IT manager and sent a hard copy of my resume to them.

3) Utilized 3 headhunter companies! <-------DO THIS it doesn't cost you anything and those recruiters have a large pool of businesses they supply and they are willing to help because they get money off of you!

4) Targeted NON-IT businesses, Such as hospitals, school systems, etc.

What was most critical in landing the job (I asked my new manager what seperated me from the rest):

1) Past work experience! Being a team player and heading up projects.

2) Skill Set, I have such a large skill set that it was apperent to my manager that I was willing to try and learn new things. Even though I was not an expert in/at some of the skills it showed that I was diverse and not stuck thinking "inside-the-box"

3)Good interviews, I talked the talk. When my manger asked me about Honeypots and Fiber connections I was able to spout back the lingo with ease and it showed him that I knew what he was asking.

4) I researched the company by knowing what their history was, what philanthopies (sp?) they were involved with, How their stock was doing, etc.

5)And Finally my manager said what I did after the interview (BTW I had two face to face interviews) landed me the job and the great salary (if you read my previous thread I got a substantial pay increase)...... I sent a thank you note to the interviewers, thanking them for the opportunity to interview!

I also do little programming, most of what I know and do is Harware/Network support. I do have my CCNE and MCSE+I along with a MOUSE and Citrix XP Cert. But while I was looking none of the interviewers asked about them. They mostly focused on my past job experience.

I really don't want to say who I work for (not just yet since I am new) but I can tell you it is one of Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For. (BTW way I actually start the 12th of MAY and am in the process of moving so it will be a week before I post again.)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

dolemitecomputers

Thu May 08, 2003 5:49 pm

What headhunter companies do you recommend?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Sun May 11, 2003 12:35 pm

There really is no single headhunter company that is better than the other. They all do pretty much the same thing, put you to work temporarily (if you want temporary work) and try to find you a permanant position somewhere. The ones I used were small local recruting companies here in the Atlanta area. I did use Randstad though.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')