Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

phelt
Gerbil
Topic Author

how to be a 133t Windose pr0grammAr!

Fri May 09, 2003 7:57 pm

It all starts from the installer. You don't want to be throwing money away, so yuo can use a really old one that takes over the screen and tries to disable access to the taskbar. This is even better if it can't see anything but the C: drive to install to. Hey it's your app - you know where it's suposed to go better than they do!

Sometimes you can go harder by using the latest beta install utilz, ones that throw up errors and quit out because some wierd-ass component or service aint found. Make sure that any error popups are real obscure and keep the user from figuring out the problem. Hahah! Stupid us0rz!

Be sure you fill up teh registry with illegbile and redundant keys- that's what it's there for. If you punk out and give them an uninstaller, don't sweat removing any of that stuff. They're stoopid for not using your app, so they prolly don't even know that stuff's there.

Dump all your new shortcuts into the All Users start menu - it's free advertising, yo! Make a bunch of them, too - especisally like one that's a 404'd link to your "Support Forum". They'll be all like WTF?! haha..

Don't forget to add like 3 levels of folders in your progz new menu. The frist one should be named after your company or your crew or your clan or somethin, as long as it's not the name of the app. It's all about you, geddit?
You gotta add a bunch of stuff to the quik lauch bar and the desktop too, plus some favorites in IE so they know who 0wnz!

I heard from thisd ude that you could make stuff in the Start Menu that will keep comnig back even if it gets deleted or moved or renmamed or whatever. Don't have that one sussed yet, but that would be tight. (if you knwo how to do this, IM me RIGHT NOW. I will hook you up serious, no lie.)!

Even if they manage to change thre install dir, you need to put a bunch of stuff in the system dir, and Program Files, and about 4 places in Documents an Settings. It shows yo'ure pro and know about Windose standards and all that.

If they somehow gets your prog installed, you can still put them in their place, like they can install anywere but your app only runs from a dir that's got 8 letters in the name. L0L::!

Ther'es a buncha other stuff to, but I gotta take my stupid sister to dance class or some ghey stuff right now. Anyways, that oughto boost your skillz and let the loosers know whose mad 133t!

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri May 09, 2003 8:01 pm

LOL :D

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 09, 2003 11:12 pm

Hah...

crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri May 09, 2003 11:17 pm

Good one :lol: unfortunately it's quite often all too true.
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

phelt
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 10, 2003 10:39 am

Glad some folks got a kick out of it :)
Just got fed up with this stuff... 10 years of using Windows and the same BS.

It's interesting (to me, at least) that I run into these kind of problems most often with "big-time" corporate software - Adobe, Macromedia, Netscape, Quicken, Symantec, Microsoft, and so very many others.

Meanwhile, I pick up apps that are free or very inexpensive (written by some programming hobbyist who's a tax adjuster in Finland, or some such) that use SuperPimp and allow me to tailor the install... or just unzip to a directory and make my own damn shortcut.

Look for "How to be a k-Rad WebMast0r!" coming soon :wink:

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 10, 2003 11:01 am

Too true, far too true.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

eweb
Gerbil In Training

Sat May 10, 2003 10:25 pm

This was funny, until I clicked start, then noticed: 15 of 60 items were only a company name. 25%. Pathetic - so much room for improvement.