Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

eweb
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Phones with built-in camera: Anyone use these?

Sat May 10, 2003 10:34 pm

I have a phone which can take an optional camera for $99. It sounds like something fun to play with, but it's a bit much for something that is just a toy, so I'm wondering:

Does anyone have one, and if so do you use it? How often, and what for? (The pr0n applications are obvious, but how about real uses?)

redmouse
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 10, 2003 10:51 pm

i don't have a phone like that, but i have a friend who does. It's not an addon, but it's built into the hinge of the phone (the phone folds in half). It's really cool because he can take pictures anywhere and email them to other cells or to some computer.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 10, 2003 11:38 pm

Sounds really neat, but I dont think I would use it that often... :roll:

redmouse
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 11, 2003 2:49 am

true, but when you first get the phone you'll find yourself using it all the time, after a while it gets kind of old, but it's nice to know you have a phone everywhere you go

Tech
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 11, 2003 4:16 am

Ive got the Nokia 7650. Its pretty chunky but it looks quite cool. The image quality isnt bad for close up photos but pictures taken from a distance tend to lack detail and quality as a result. Its great tho for when youre out on the razzle or just out at all coz u can record anything and its not like youre carrying a big old camera around with you. I used it a lot to begin with, but these days i usually only use the camera when someone wants to see how it works.....

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon May 12, 2003 8:18 am

A mate of my dad's where he works uses his all the time. He uses it for his work (not sure what he does exactly :-D). He doesn't need especially high image quality, so he doesn't need a digital camera, just the phone.

But that's the only time I've ever heard of a decent use for them.

Plus, you get to do silly poses on someone else's camera, I'm now known to a group of my mate's friends as "the one who does that pose..."

:-D,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon May 12, 2003 8:53 am

Phasers on stun Mr Spock :wink: Think it would be cool to have a robotic wiper when u go to the loo.

Pauly
Gerbil

Tue May 13, 2003 7:24 am

7650's are great. I still use the camera occasionally.

Okay, I can live without the camera actually, but the Symbian interface is brill. My bro-in-law just got a 7250. It's a bit like a smaller 7650, but the OS isn't as complete as in the 7650.

red0510
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 13, 2003 10:21 pm

I belong to a gym that just put a ban on using any cell phones inside. It turns out that some people were using these photo-capable cell phones to take pictures inside the gym and then were posting them on the internet. So as it stands, you guys will never know what you were missing!! :wink:

eweb
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue May 13, 2003 11:15 pm

IntelMole wrote:
A mate of my dad's where he works uses his all the time. He uses it for his work (not sure what he does exactly :-D). He doesn't need especially high image quality, so he doesn't need a digital camera, just the phone.

But that's the only time I've ever heard of a decent use for them.

Plus, you get to do silly poses on someone else's camera, I'm now known to a group of my mate's friends as "the one who does that pose..."

:-D,
IntelMole

Yeah, I could see it being useful at work . . .

(to IT clod) I told you the network is down, here's a picture of the error message . . .
(to hardware guys) so I started the test sequence, and here's a picture of the prototype just after it burst into flames . . .
(to shipping dept.) and you can still see part of the "Fragile" sticker where the side of the box is smashed in . . .
(to maintainance) see, this puddle on my desk here leads me to believe the roof patch wasn't properly applied . . .
(to boss) I'ts 11pm, and I've just got the project working as you can see from this pic . . .

The trick is to get the company to pay for the phone.

Now if only everyone had a phone that could recieve these pictures. . .

Isn't the 7650 the phone they ported DOOM onto? Reason enough to get one.