Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 4:37 pm

I was discussing this article with my dad the other day. We agree wholeheartedly.

I was never a big fan of Gates, but I do read in the paper continuesly that he and his wife donated such and such amount to fight aids in Africa or some other such cause.

"if you have two shirts and your neighbor has none..."

Discuss? *ducks thrown tomatoes*
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"
roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: Ambergris

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 4:44 pm

Meh, who cares? If the company makes a product worth buying, I couldn't give a damn about the philanthropic habits (or lack thereof) of its CEO.

I own zero Apple products, but that's because Apple owners are like a cult, and Vrock doesn't do cults. :D
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20600
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 5:07 pm

That article is also from 06. I don't remember when the iPhone came out, but I would be interested in seeing his financials pre and post iphone.

Oh, and Jobs was a big supporter of organ transplant legislation: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/03/19/steve-jo ... gislation/

I think that Gates is more social in the public eye. Jobs' whole work ethics is to keep things under wraps and tight lips all around his company. He is more of a recluse which makes the media go after him even more.
Image
njenabnit
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:33 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Vrock wrote:I own zero Apple products, but that's because Apple owners are like a cult, and Vrock doesn't do cults. :D


Cult you say? I think massive hysteria is more of a term that should be used. Check this out! http://cupidtino.com/
Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:56 am
Location: The Land of Beetles.

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 5:16 pm

Synchromesh wrote:
Vrock wrote:I own zero Apple products, but that's because Apple owners are like a cult, and Vrock doesn't do cults. :D


Cult you say? I think massive hysteria is more of a term that should be used. Check this out! http://cupidtino.com/
Is that....real?

I'm afraid.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20600
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 6:08 pm

Vrock wrote:
Synchromesh wrote:
Vrock wrote:I own zero Apple products, but that's because Apple owners are like a cult, and Vrock doesn't do cults. :D


Cult you say? I think massive hysteria is more of a term that should be used. Check this out! http://cupidtino.com/
Is that....real?

I'm afraid.


Oh...MY...GAWD! That's disturbing.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 6:21 pm

I wonder what the requirements of entry to the club will be. I mean is having just an ipod nano enough or does one have to have at least a ipod touch to become a member? Will G3 users be allowed to join or nothing older than Intel-based machines only? Let the lunacy begin!
Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:56 am
Location: The Land of Beetles.

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 7:00 pm

Synchromesh wrote:I wonder what the requirements of entry to the club will be. I mean is having just an ipod nano enough or does one have to have at least a ipod touch to become a member? Will G3 users be allowed to join or nothing older than Intel-based machines only? Let the lunacy begin!

I can just hear the cheesy permutations of "iPod touch" that geeky guys will use to make moves on the geeky girls... it makes me shudder...
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4214
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 7:04 pm

I think that Bill Gates' large scale philanthropy in the past few years has changed this perception a bit. I just asked my brother (who knows little about tech stuff) who was the better person, Jobs or Gates, and he told me Gates because he was giving away his money.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Sapphire Radeon 6950
TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 7:19 pm

You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4376
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Vrock wrote:I own zero Apple products, but that's because Apple owners are like a cult, and Vrock doesn't do cults. :D

You'd love the director of the group I work for. He just got an iPad, and has decided he wants to use it for everything. Including as a replacement for the laptop he normally carries around. Which means someone (maybe me...) gets to attempt to figure out how to use an iPad as a Remote Desktop client through a SSH tunnel, so he can use it to access the office network while he's on the road...

I will give the iPad credit for this: The on-screen touch keyboard sucks a lot less than I thought it would.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37964
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 9:30 pm

njenabnit wrote:That article is also from 06. I don't remember when the iPhone came out, but I would be interested in seeing his financials pre and post iphone.

Was that before or after he was the recipient of a transplant?
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 21323
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 9:32 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
njenabnit wrote:That article is also from 06. I don't remember when the iPhone came out, but I would be interested in seeing his financials pre and post iphone.

Was that before or after he was the recipient of a transplant?


I am pretty sure it was after he got his transplant. I think his eyes were opened a bit when he dam near took a dirt nap.
Hance
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7641
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:58 pm
Location: Grace Idaho

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Wed May 05, 2010 9:33 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Vrock wrote:I own zero Apple products, but that's because Apple owners are like a cult, and Vrock doesn't do cults. :D

You'd love the director of the group I work for. He just got an iPad, and has decided he wants to use it for everything. Including as a replacement for the laptop he normally carries around. Which means someone (maybe me...) gets to attempt to figure out how to use an iPad as a Remote Desktop client through a SSH tunnel, so he can use it to access the office network while he's on the road...

I will give the iPad credit for this: The on-screen touch keyboard sucks a lot less than I thought it would.

I dunno what the best way to do this via SSH is, but the iPhone OS supports VPNs natively and there are a lot of VNC clients available. At least for the iPhone, though I confess I haven't used any myself.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals
SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I
 
Posts: 6206
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:37 am

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu May 06, 2010 12:27 pm

I would be much more interested in seeing the author of that article disclose his own charitable giving by organization and net percentage of his income, since he feels such details are important. If that's the measure of a man, then a senior editor for Wired and successful author chronicling the tech industry, Apple in particular, ought to have a few bucks to spread around before he goes looking to spread someone else's wealth around.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5469
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu May 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Synchromesh wrote: Check this out! http://cupidtino.com/


WTF... Is that for real ?
Intel i5 4670K @ 4.8GHZ|ATI Radeon HD 7970 (Stock)| 12 GB RAM (Stock)| Xtreme Music with G500 5.1 | Panasonic "TH-L42E60" @ 120 HZ.
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:00 pm

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu May 06, 2010 12:53 pm

that's a spoof. please let it be a spoof.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5519
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:14 am
Location: Amarillo, Texas

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu May 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Synchromesh wrote:Cult you say? I think massive hysteria is more of a term that should be used. Check this out! http://cupidtino.com/

I have a fear that this will cause Apple fanboys and fangirls to multiply exponentially. December 2012 seems about right...
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Jive
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1573
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:14 pm
Location: San Francisco, California

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu May 06, 2010 1:20 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:that's a spoof. please let it be a spoof.

If it's a spoof, it's suckered a lot of the tech press into believing it. I fear that it really is real.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews ... june/14465
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20550
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu May 06, 2010 2:37 pm

SNM wrote:
just brew it! wrote:You'd love the director of the group I work for. He just got an iPad, and has decided he wants to use it for everything. Including as a replacement for the laptop he normally carries around. Which means someone (maybe me...) gets to attempt to figure out how to use an iPad as a Remote Desktop client through a SSH tunnel, so he can use it to access the office network while he's on the road...

I will give the iPad credit for this: The on-screen touch keyboard sucks a lot less than I thought it would.

I dunno what the best way to do this via SSH is, but the iPhone OS supports VPNs natively and there are a lot of VNC clients available. At least for the iPhone, though I confess I haven't used any myself.


Done! I do this in a couple of ways, Logmein works well. And our Cisco client works too. You may find that's it's really easy to accomplish. The free VNC ap works too but it's not fully featured. The only part I find difficult is passing sound it's not good, yet.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7324
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu May 06, 2010 3:29 pm

tanker27 wrote:
SNM wrote:
just brew it! wrote:You'd love the director of the group I work for. He just got an iPad, and has decided he wants to use it for everything. Including as a replacement for the laptop he normally carries around. Which means someone (maybe me...) gets to attempt to figure out how to use an iPad as a Remote Desktop client through a SSH tunnel, so he can use it to access the office network while he's on the road...

I will give the iPad credit for this: The on-screen touch keyboard sucks a lot less than I thought it would.

I dunno what the best way to do this via SSH is, but the iPhone OS supports VPNs natively and there are a lot of VNC clients available. At least for the iPhone, though I confess I haven't used any myself.

Done! I do this in a couple of ways, Logmein works well. And our Cisco client works too. You may find that's it's really easy to accomplish. The free VNC ap works too but it's not fully featured. The only part I find difficult is passing sound it's not good, yet.

Do any of those work through a SSH tunnel? (The VPN through our home office sucks big time; we've got SSH tunnel capability direct into the LAN in our satellite office, but haven't set up a real VPN that goes directly into our LAN yet...)
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37964
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu May 06, 2010 5:31 pm

My reasons for not giving Apple any money are mostly political. I don't agree with some of the causes they give money to. And that is all I will say. Enough said.
Tomorrow will take us away, far from home, no one will ever know our names, but the bard's song will remain....
dustyjamessutton
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: Midvale, Idaho

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu May 06, 2010 6:18 pm

dustyjamessutton wrote:My reasons for not giving Apple any money are mostly political. I don't agree with some of the causes they give money to. And that is all I will say. Enough said.


Hmm. Apple donated to Red Cross during the Haiti earthquake, they did the Product Red campaign for a bit, they gave money to a children's museum... oh and they also donated $100,000 to fight the same-sex marriage ban in California. I'm going to take a wild guess and say it was the last one you have issue with.
Skrying
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:37 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu May 06, 2010 6:39 pm

Futher comments along those lines WILL get this thread sent to R&P.

Thanks for listening.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20550
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:Do any of those work through a SSH tunnel? (The VPN through our home office sucks big time; we've got SSH tunnel capability direct into the LAN in our satellite office, but haven't set up a real VPN that goes directly into our LAN yet...)


Yes there are some SSH tunneler apps available that you can more than likely configure with your LAN to accept them.
Theres Touch Term, SSH, iSSH, pTerm none of them cost over 4.99.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7324
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu May 06, 2010 8:32 pm

tanker27 wrote:Yes there are some SSH tunneler apps available that you can more than likely configure with your LAN to accept them.
Theres Touch Term, SSH, iSSH, pTerm none of them cost over 4.99.

That's not what he means -- those apps run a terminal via SSH. Tunneling is when you establish an SSH connection and then use it to use and access a different transfer protocol which appears (to the rest of the world) to originate from the server you're SSHing into.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals
SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I
 
Posts: 6206
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:37 am

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu May 06, 2010 9:02 pm

those apps are used to setup a terminal session to SSH.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7324
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Fri May 07, 2010 8:04 am

tanker27 wrote:those apps are used to setup a terminal session to SSH.

... and given that the iPad does not support multi-tasking, how do you then utilize that session from the Remote Desktop client?
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37964
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Fri May 07, 2010 8:12 am

So when does this get shifted into R&P? I can't wait to see the trigger message...
Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit-Intel i7 965-Noctua NH-C12P-ASUS P6T Deluxe-Patriot Viper Xtreme 24GB DDR3 1600-SanDisk 240GB SSD-2 WD Velociraptors 300GB-WD RE3 1TB -Radeon 6970-ASUS Xonar Essence -LG GBW-H20L Blu-ray-Thermaltake W0133RU 1200W-CoolerMaster CM 832
Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:07 am
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA

Re: Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple

Postposted on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:34 pm

"Another reason I will not give a cent to Apple"

Then I say good luck to you with your Zune, Windows phone and RT tablet....

People that feel the need to show off that they give money to charity might want to consider this
http://www.apple.com/product-red/

If you sink your $ into Microsoft products, none of it will go to Africa.
sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:05 am

Next

Return to The Back Porch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests