Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

nicateen420
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Half Life 2 FPS dream come true

Sat May 17, 2003 2:46 pm

Anyone seen the previews for this game? i remember playing throught the original on my old 166 with a vodoo 1. Simply amazing, the second one seems to be raising the bar again. It simply looks like where reaching new heights with each year for gaming, doom 3 and new online epic rpgs, I am so excited I had to rant for a bit, these games are the reason for the high powered components in our systems :D
M [email protected], 512 Uber samsung pc 3200
Uber 1337 Geforce3ti200, AC97 SOUND p4wnz joo, 20 gig maxtor 5400 rpm drive<---own3d
Having a system crippled by old parts= Priceless

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat May 17, 2003 3:10 pm

Yes, I'm looking forward to playing it (more than Doom 3). It's supposed to be much longer than the first one, which is always a good thing.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 17, 2003 3:12 pm

NeXus 6 wrote:
Yes, I'm looking forward to playing it (more than Doom 3). It's supposed to be much longer than the first one, which is always a good thing.

if thats true thats a very nice change. I am tired of hearing people say "games are too long". what kind of crap is that... if the game is good it cant be too long.... it can however be way too short.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sat May 17, 2003 3:39 pm

Unfortunately as games get prettier, they seem to get shorter and more shallow. Hopefully Half-Life 2 can break the trend. I have feeling that DOOM 3 will be pretty short, so HL2 is higher on my list of priorities.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat May 17, 2003 4:56 pm

Remember it had a software mode? :D Those were the days. When switched to a voodoo banshee card and could use the hardware mode...what a difference. The other thing I remember was the flash light. I thought that was the greatest idea.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 17, 2003 5:24 pm

Right now, Im undecided which game Im looking forward to more. I cant wait to play them both!

Omnifariousxlc
Gerbil

Will be awesome.

Sat May 17, 2003 5:42 pm

Both Half Life 2 and Doom 3 have my mouth watering. It is good to hear that Half-Life 2 will be longer than the first, however I feel that Doom 3 should also give us a good run considering the multi-player mode has been completely tossed out. All the emphasis has been put on the single player campaign which theoretically should produce one hell of a game. At least it damn well better be. I don't want to drop another $50+ on another 12 level Unreal2 :roll: .
its real...the results are real

Danger
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat May 17, 2003 9:17 pm

I personally would rather play the games online against real players. It makes the gameing a lot more fun and sometimes makes it almost impossible to get bored. Single player is fun for a few weeks or until you beat it. I'm looking forward to buying the new hl2 game b/c of the mods that will be made from it just like the origonal Half Life. CS, TFC, and DOD all came from the first half life. I wonder whats next with this new engine :P
Cooler MAster HAF case
Corsair 850w powersuply
MSI 790FX-GD70
AMD Phenon x4 695 Black Edition 3.4 GHZ
GSkill 6 GB DDR3 1600

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sat May 17, 2003 9:29 pm

What ever happened to games like Baldur's Gate where you could play for 60+ hours and still not uncover everything? Game designers are taking the easy way out and using graphics to cover over the lack of gameplay or depth. It will be a happy day indeed once developers put their efforts back on the things that really make or break a game. With next generation engines about to hit the scene, hopefully this can become a reality.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat May 17, 2003 9:35 pm

eckslax wrote:
What ever happened to games like Baldur's Gate where you could play for 60+ hours and still not uncover everything?

Have you looked here?

http://www.elderscrolls.com/index.php

http://www.us.infogrames.com/games/neve ... nights_pc/