Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

GPU Article

Sun May 18, 2003 1:40 pm

Neat article at ExtremeTech entitled The Future of 3D Graphics

Any sort of computation of a collection of data where elements interact with other elements with high locality is extremely efficient on a GPU. In fact, the GPU can be from 10 to 100 times faster than a Pentium 4 in such situations, says Kirk. Scientific computations such as linear algebra, Fast Fourier Transforms, and partial differential equations can also benefit greatly from GPUs. One research group is looking to break the Linpack benchmark world record using a cluster of 256 PCs with GeForce FXs! Another scenario that surprised Kirk was when a development team recently tried to use a GeForce FX CPU to perform database key sorting. When coded to take advantage of the parallelism and pipelining in the GPU, parallel key sorts and searches can occur much faster than using general CPUs, on the order of 4-5x faster than the Pentium 4, according to Kirk.

Just thought you guys might be interested. Keep in mind ExtremeTech is owned by Ziff-Davis :evil:

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sun May 18, 2003 8:08 pm

They actually have some pretty good articles there...some bs too...They have a fued goin on with Tom's Hardware...so they cant be all THAT bad...he he :wink:

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun May 18, 2003 8:09 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
They actually have some pretty good articles there...some bs too...They have a fued goin on with Tom's Hardware...so they cant be all THAT bad...he he :wink:
I love Tom's Hardware. they are totally unbiased. :roll:

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sun May 18, 2003 8:33 pm

Yeah...rite...and the pope is what?? Islamic? :wink:

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 19, 2003 12:03 am

Interesting article. The site is a fun one to read, though I dont take everything said for fact, its still a good read every once in a while...

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 19, 2003 12:32 pm

I love Tom's Hardware. they are totally unbiased.

ROFL... good one! (I assume that was a joke.)

sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon May 19, 2003 2:44 pm

Yah toms Opteron article was a great example of what kind of journalist he is :evil:

Evan
Gerbil XP

Re: GPU Article

Mon May 19, 2003 2:52 pm

sativa wrote:
Just thought you guys might be interested. Keep in mind ExtremeTech is owned by Ziff-Davis :evil:

I hope ZD has more knowledgeable people writing at ExtremeTech than the jokers they have writing for PC Magazine.

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon May 19, 2003 3:10 pm

Evan, please explain why you dont like PC mag.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon May 19, 2003 3:16 pm

I kinda like em too...usually put out fairly informative articles...their forums can be fun too...extreme tech has some decent articles and forums also.

Evan
Gerbil XP

Mon May 19, 2003 3:32 pm

Yahoolian wrote:
Evan, please explain why you dont like PC mag.

Admittedly I haven't looked at it in a while. I stopped bothering to read it some time ago because after almost every review I read in PC Magazine, I thought to myself, How could this have been written by anyone who actually understands PCs?
One example from the distant past was where they actually claimed that some mediocre 5,400RPM hard disk was faster than a decent brand-new 7,200RPM drive- I think the 7,200RPM drive was a DeskStar 14GXP but I can't remember what model the 5,400 was. Benchmarks I'd seen on Web sites that actually understood hard disks demonstrated that this 7,200RPM drive was unquestionably faster than that same 5,400RPM competitor.
Then you have John C. Dvorak, who I think might be certifiably insane at times. For example, in his article here
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,936078,00.asp,
he predicts that Apple will switch to Itanium processors- which is one of the most ridiculous predictions I've ever heard, and this was not an April 1st article. I also very much dislike his severe overuse of bold type.
I could probably read through some new articles and find other gripes if you really want me to, but I'm not much inclined to do so.
Granted, PC Magazine is better than PC World, but that's like saying Chevrolet makes better cars than Daewoo.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon May 19, 2003 5:09 pm

If there is ONE sad(read bad) thing about PC Magazine it is John C. Dvorak...the guy is just a friggin lunatic!! No give...no matter what u throw at him for figures or evidence...I just got to the point where i ignore the ignoramus..... :wink:

PC World has a lot of great stuff in it too...just have ta look past the advertisements and some of the comments...other than that..they give a lot of good tips and hints for the average user...Agreed..its not TR..but then again..who is? I spose that's next...damage...who is the next editor? :lol:

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon May 19, 2003 11:34 pm

I agree that dvorak is crazy, I dislike PC mag because of him and all the ads and pedestrian stuff they tell you about. CPU is a much better and more hardcore mag, I look forward to reading it every month.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 20, 2003 2:28 am

Here we dont have so many mags. Although there is one good, the rest is just... MEH. You just get a feeling the writers really isnt in it at all for any kind of knowledge, its purely uninformative, faulty written articles that tries all too hard to be something more refined that they are, and hence fall short of the target audience. This while still not catering to the lower breed because they "seem" to be too advanced. Thats why i stopped reading paper mags a long time ago. There is one left that i read when i can for free. It's a really old rag from the eighties that started with Amiga and stuff back then, its back with the same editor, doing the same good work they did back then.

And toms... is toms...meh.