Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: What are you driving RIGHT NOW?

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:39 am

Wait til next year when the BR-Z will have a turbo motor.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:01 am

CasbahBoy wrote:
I drive a Golf R!

Very nice. I saw one in my dealers lot when I picked up my 2012 GLI. I love the centre exhaust.

+1 for the manual transmission.

End User

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:07 am

Captain Ned wrote:

The current FR-S/BR-Z is a dynamite car:

http://goo.gl/tIYSy

CasbahBoy
Gerbil

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:18 am

Captain Ned wrote:

That is the funny thing; he doesn't WANT a turbocharged engine! He's owned a 2007 WRX STI from new until trading it in for the BRZ and over time has become one of those...driving purist types. Particularly rear wheel drive with few electronic aids to reduce complexity, and naturally aspirated for the improved throttle response and consistent power delivery. The extremely low center of gravity and unheard-of lightness helped too!

That approach isn't exactly my thing but the way I see it I have no care or right to judge the preferences of another. I'm just happy to see people that are passionate about cars.

Tuners (and the original engineers even more so) are a clever bunch so I'd be an idiot to say something is not possible, but the BRZ is running some pretty high compression as far as a naturally aspirated engine goes. Some people more mechanically inclined than I are telling me that adding forced induction will likely cause detonation problems unless they reduce those ratios. I see Subaru/Toyota further developing the engine and adding turbocharging with a redesign, but I doubt it will amount to a simple bolt on.

End User wrote:
CasbahBoy wrote:
I drive a Golf R!

Very nice. I saw one in my dealers lot when I picked up my 2012 GLI. I love the centre exhaust.

+1 for the manual transmission.

I've been telling people, ignore the interior quality criticisms they've been reading about the Mk6 Jetta until they've driven a GLI. Great choice and I hope you enjoy it! Also, post pics!
"We demand rigidly defined values of doubt and uncertainty!"

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:23 am

CasbahBoy wrote:
Tuners (and the original engineers even more so) are a clever bunch so I'd be an idiot to say something is not possible, but the BRZ is running some pretty high compression as far as a naturally aspirated engine goes. Some people more mechanically inclined than I are telling me that adding forced induction will likely cause detonation problems unless they reduce those ratios. I see Subaru/Toyota further developing the engine and adding turbocharging with a redesign, but I doubt it will amount to a simple bolt on.

Subaru already has a turbo version of that motor running in JDM Legacies right now. 296HP out of 2 litres is pretty impressive. And yes, you must reduce the compression ratio when you add a turbo.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:58 am

CasbahBoy wrote:

For factory tuning it very rarely is a bolt-on, but it doesn't have to be particularly complex, either. Keep in mind that the 4S engine is using GDI (gasoline direct injection), which allows for stable operation at higher compression ratios than what have traditionally been used with multi-point manifold injection.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Voldenuit

Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:21 pm

End User wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

The current FR-S/BR-Z is a dynamite car:

Epic GT86 review.

Put me in the 'needs moar powah' boat, but after seeing that review, I am sorely tempted. Preferences aside, that was one of the most polished video reviews of a car I have ever seen, and clearly a labour of love. Worth a watch even if you don't like the car.

Driven (but never owned) the original AE86, and that car was a blast to drive even with only 120 hp.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Great_Big_Abyss wrote:
You should come to North America sometime and try out the Mustang. The new ones are just EPIC. Most powerful production mustang ever is currently the Shelby GT500. 550hp (410kW).
The 2013 Shelby GT500 Mustang available now comes with 650 horsepower (485 kW). 8)
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:23 pm

I learned to drive with 52 hp.

For me, the Toyobaru would be a rocketship, even naturally aspirated.

I haven't posted it in this thread, at least...

Image (when I got it)

Can't find a convenient image of it with the summer wheels I got - VW Montreal IIs, polished, with the insets painted anthracite.

1999.5 Golf. TDI, of course.

Mod list is:

Powertrain
Titan 502 nozzles (similar to what's stock on a 110 hp TDI in Europe - and I know some other TDI nut is going to call me out on 520 vs. 502, but apparently the Titans are backwards for some reason)
11 mm injection pump (more fuel, higher injection pressure)
RocketChip Stage 2/3 switchable tune
Stock weight single-mass flywheel with Sachs VR6 clutch/pressure plate (FWIW, Sachs has a TDI-specific one with the same torque capacity but less rattling when in neutral with the clutch engaged... had I known that, I would've done that)

Suspension
Koni FSDs
Audi TT control arm rear bushings

Exterior
VW Montreal II wheels, polished, insets painted anthracite
Hella blackout ECE-compliant headlights

Interior
Late 2003+ center console (better cupholders)
European head light switch

Upcoming mods
Some things falling off the back of the engine that I shouldn't talk about in a public forum
Trip computer instrument cluster from a 1999 Passat
Maybe some bigger swaybars, the tiny ones that VW put on base model Golfs mean the thing body rolls like the MV Cougar Ace
Trying to get the Argentine/Brazilian-market INF 1 DIN Mid head unit, which is an OE bluetooth + USB + SD head unit that integrates fully with the car's systems and kinda matches the car's interior

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:37 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
For me, the Toyobaru would be a rocketship, even naturally aspirated.

Based on its power-to-weight ratio, which is just a hair worse than my Celica GT-S but doesn't need to wait for a lift cam to wake up, I'm betting on similar performance numbers but with much better handling. Meaning, fast enough to get arrested, but not fast enough to be worth it. Every turbo Subaru sold in North America will outrun it, which is as good a reason as any for Subaru to bring the turbo version over here.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:46 pm

ludi wrote:
Based on its power-to-weight ratio, which is just a hair worse than my Celica GT-S

And most of the motoring press is mystified that the Toyota version got shoved into Scion with a meaningless alpha-jumble name instead of becoming the next Celica. When the turbo motor comes one could smell Supra.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:51 pm

monts wrote:
I've had my new car for about two weeks after trading in the ute. This time I've got a 2012 FPV GS. Got it as a demo model so saved a bit. It has been lots of fun. Its got a Supercharged 5.0L "Coyote" engine making 315kW & ZF 6 speed auto, 19" alloys etc. Having trouble trying to wipe the grin from my face.

Its a bit dirty at the moment. Spending time driving it rather than washing it. Also the weather is crappy over here so i'll get some better shots when the weather and light improves.

This is a great looking car and from the looks of it a blast to drive. Your old "ute" I'd classify likewise. Aussies have some great cars from the pics you've posted Monts.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:02 pm

Any guess as to the closest chassis analogue here in the US? Sorta looks like a Fusion and if Ford offered a RWD Fusion with that motor Mustang sales would evaporate.

Oh, I get it now. :wink:

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Nah, there will still be purists that will not want the extra doors.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:32 pm

The closest relative would probably be the 1970 Falcon.

The closest chassis analogue... maybe the Lincoln LS? But they're completely separate evolutions...

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Any guess as to the closest chassis analogue here in the US? Sorta looks like a Fusion and if Ford offered a RWD Fusion with that motor Mustang sales would evaporate.

Oh, I get it now. :wink:

I was thinking a Fusion myself.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,

EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:13 pm

I thought Fusion too when I first saw it. It wasn't until it got to the engine images that I realized who had posted it.

I finally got around to taking a few pictures of my car. With my phone. So I only have two, and they don't look great, but I think the car looks good.

Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

monts
Gerbil Jedi
Location: Western Australia (Gods Own Country for those uncertain)

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:48 pm

rogue426 wrote:

This is a great looking car and from the looks of it a blast to drive. Your old "ute" I'd classify likewise. Aussies have some great cars from the pics you've posted Monts.

It is a blast to drive. Started to get really disappointed with empty roads as normally there is a truck or caravan that needs overtaking. Currently there is a severe lack of opportunities to unleash the supercharger :)
iMac 27” | MacBook Air.
Cricket and AFL (Fremantle Dockers) tragic.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:14 am

I like everything about the Genesis Coupe except for whatever happened to the rear side window.

kvndoom

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:24 am

Thatguy wrote:
2002 Saturn sl. Yes the really cheap one. It's paid for and does great on gas, so i love it. Minimal maintenance other than replacing the clutch at 70k.I'm thinking the previous owner was either a horrible driver or rough on it.

When it's nice out and i finally got my new tires on i drive a 2007 Ninja 650r. Shiny red! Maybe I'll find some pics and add them later.

That's hilarious... I had one of those too, when Saturn was closing out the model to make room for the (failed) Ion. Got 0% APR on the loan. It was an SL, only 2 options- air conditioning and a CD player! Manual windows, no cruise control, no nothing but a 5-speed stick and a CD player.

But it was great on gas! 40 highway easily, and it was a comfy drive. Funniest thing about it was that the SL just didn't exist. When trying to get insurance, or anything else, no one had it in their databases, only the SL1 or SL2!
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

End User

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:56 pm

CasbahBoy wrote:
Great choice and I hope you enjoy it! Also, post pics!

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:37 pm

And they put the real rear suspension in those, not the crappy solid beam (seriously, VW, that's not a twist beam. Look under a damn Mk4 or older to find a twist beam) that they put in the normal Jettas.

IIRC, the hybrids are getting the same, European-level trim (a base Euro-market Jetta has the soft touch surfaces and IRS of the GLI, even in 1.2 turbo form). But the TDIs, 2.5s, and 2.sl0s do without.

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:38 pm

2005 Toyota Sienna. Champagne colored, so pretty much the ubiquitous soccer mom van. Hoping to get something sporty-ish (but probably won't) in a year or two.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

DrJ
Gerbil

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Does no one here drive a classic? My car turns 25 this month -- a 1987 Mercedes 300E. Utterly reliable, and he looks great. I do not hesitate to put 300 or 400 miles on him in a day.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:50 pm

DrJ wrote:
Does no one here drive a classic? My car turns 25 this month -- a 1987 Mercedes 300E. Utterly reliable, and he looks great. I do not hesitate to put 300 or 400 miles on him in a day.

I think my 93 Mark VIII is a classic. 100,000 miles and still goes 220 Km/h and change, no problem. That's about 140 mph.
I have plans for this one. Expensive plans. ;)

Coyote crate motor
Tremec 6 speed
Complete sub frame brace set
Cobra brakes (4 piston Brembros)
Put the Air Suspension back with Konis
Delrin for the IRS PolyU for the rest.
8.8 Ford Trac Lock I'll keep the tall gears.

There is an EEC-IV in the 93, an Intel 8061, and I will need access. An SCT or Quarterhorse setup will be implemented, I guess I'll need a dedicated laptop too.

Another project car. My children's inheritance down the drain. ;)
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:46 pm

If I were a lottery winner, I'd go with something like this:

But in real life my ride is something a little more normal.
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:20 am

ShadowEyez wrote:

Pics, or it didn't happen might be a tricycle! :P

DrDillyBar
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:24 am

ShadowEyez wrote:
If I were a lottery winner, I'd go with something like this:

I agree completely. A Bugatti Veyron would be super fun.

But for now I'll have to settle for my 2002 Acura TL.
i7-4790k | Z87-A | 16GB RAM | Radeon RX460 | SSD; 2TB and 2TB | Dell 20"w | Win10

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:35 am

DrDillyBar wrote:
I agree completely. A Bugatti Veyron would be super fun.

Especially in that TRON-ish look.

Hmm, Veyron with Quorra in the passenger seat. I'd take on the whole Grid in that combo.

aurnob
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:27 am

My current 94 GSR Integra as you guys in the US would call it
i5 2500k 4.5ghz
460 gtx
8gb ddr3
msi p67a-c43
x-fi xtremegamer
Samsung 830 128gb SSD
creative t20/z53000 fusion sound system 5.1