Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

hardest summer to find job in 32 years

Mon May 26, 2003 5:38 pm

says the paper, all of the usual summer jobs are taken by old people coming out of retirement. it blows, I'll have to have my lawn mowing job ($7 an hour, with limited hours) as my only income. I wanted to get another job, and put that money into savings, then all of my mowin' money can be flooded into my computer.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Mon May 26, 2003 6:37 pm

The same rings true where I live. It's hard to find anyone who is hiring and if they are, the position is taken very quickly.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Loops
Gerbil XP

Mon May 26, 2003 7:51 pm

AAAHHHHHH!!
Same for me here in the bay area!
Seems like our economy is worse than i thought. :-?

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 26, 2003 10:22 pm

We're supposed to be in a "soft" recovery, but the economy is getting worse, not better. I don't think things are going to get better until Bush is out of office. Unemployment is going to punch through 10% and the democrats are (hopefully) going to use that to get Bush out and get the economy moving again.

I too have heard the job market is the worst it's been in 40 years. What's scary is that we haven't hit bottom yet. There is no telling how bad it's going to get before it finally starts to get better. Businesses are sitting on their wallets, trying to conserve cash to ride out the recession (I'd call it a depression) in the hopes things will turn around eventually.
I wish I had gone to med school.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon May 26, 2003 10:26 pm

The Swamp wrote:
We're supposed to be in a "soft" recovery, but the economy is getting worse, not better. I don't think things are going to get better until Bush is out of office. Unemployment is going to punch through 10% and the democrats are (hopefully) going to use that to get Bush out and get the economy moving again.

I too have heard the job market is the worst it's been in 40 years. What's scary is that we haven't hit bottom yet. There is no telling how bad it's going to get before it finally starts to get better. Businesses are sitting on their wallets, trying to conserve cash to ride out the recession (I'd call it a depression) in the hopes things will turn around eventually.
colleges are also hard to get into, because of the letup in economy, more people are going to the big state schools in my area, about the only place I can afford.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon May 26, 2003 11:05 pm

These claims are laughable.

If you know anything, the first recession of the Clinton administration was worse, and the depression of 1978-1982 was the worst thing since the Great Depression.

You can thank Clinton for appointing people who inflated the dollar during his term, and made the economy seem like it was growing. It's called a classic credit expansion bubble, and since all of the other laws that same party passed over recent decades, it's tougher to get out of such periods. The investments made during such periods are called malinvestment, and that capital has to be liquidated. It's happening, but because the entire rest of the world has been in such a lousy way for the last few years, it's tougher.

The recent tax bill should help fairly well, reducing the cost of production and capital. It's really just the the first tax bill being accelerated slightly (which is to say, the laughable figures the media make about the so-called "cost" of the cuts should be removed in much part from the last tax bill from 2001), along with a capital gains and dividend tax cut.

I expect things will begin picking up rather well late in the year. Whether the bureaucrats, who still haven't begun to catch up with the 1980's, will hear about it, is another question.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon May 26, 2003 11:20 pm

... appointing people to the Federal Reserve Board, that is...

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Tue May 27, 2003 12:26 am

Clinton was lucky that he was in office when he was. It's not like he had anything to do with the tech boom, now did he? Also, a little event called September 11th hit our economy pretty hard and started the war on terror. I think that Clinton had it a little easier than Bush, but that is just my observation.

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 27, 2003 6:32 pm

Bush's problem is that he refuses to address the economy. All he wants to talk about is terror, Iraq, Saddam, Osama, and the rest of the middle east. When people can't find work, lose their homes, and lose their retirement, foreign policy is the last thing on their minds. When Bush does address the economy, the only thing he can say is that the rich (his friends and cronies) need a huge tax cut. Huh? He is making the same mistakes his father made, burying himself in foreign policy while the nation is in an economic depression. Maybe he figures the entire nation can work at McDonalds and Wal Mart.

Bush is completely out of touch, and all the democrats really have to do is tap into that for a repeat of 1992. If they can't, it's going to be 4 more years of recession.

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue May 27, 2003 7:06 pm

The Swamp wrote:
Bush's problem is that he refuses to address the economy. All he wants to talk about is terror, Iraq, Saddam, Osama, and the rest of the middle east.

Do you watch sports? You should. Especially football. Do you know why the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won the Super Bowl? Defense. Their offense stunk--well, compared to Oakland's, anyway. But their overwhelming defense won it, and by no small margin.

Economy in this case is the offense, there should be no question about that. Offense is what gets all the points, all the yards, etc. Economy = tax dollars, consumer spending, higher GDP's, etc.

The War on Terror (and related areas) in this case is the defense. Defense is responsible for maintaining the points, yards, etc. lead over the other team.

Do you have any idea how much offense was destroyed because of the lack of defense on Sept 11? Do you know how many companies were in the World Trade Center? Do you know how much was shut down because of the terrorist scares? Airlines? Railroads? Ships? Internet? Sports? Etc.? Etc.? The list goes on...?

That's the problem with Democrats---they're the 2003 Oakland Raiders of the world, thinking that more more more is better better better. "Conservatives'" (quite a few Republican) policies (even one or two Democrats) are far better in that they work work work to protect protect protect what they already have have have. Once the defense has been perfected, it will actually generate offense--points. Like the many touchdowns scored by the Bucs' defense.

Now, I'm not saying "Go talk to John Gruden" about politics. But you can learn a lot about life from a [seemingly] simple game such as football--even without ever playing yourself. :)
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Tue May 27, 2003 7:27 pm

I couldn't agree with you more. You put it perfectly. :)

VooBass
Gerbil XP

Tue May 27, 2003 7:27 pm

Bush's 'problem' is that he's the fall guy for Clinton's dickin' around. The huge shift toward using foreign workers, particularly those of China and India, took root in Clinton's time (he definately had a lot more foreskin than foresight). America has a herculean task before it in getting the economy back on course after Clinton's folly at the wheel.
Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Not lifting weights doesn't kill me. Therefore, not lifting weights makes me stronger.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue May 27, 2003 9:44 pm

I always thought it was an unwritten(maybe a pact for all i know) that past presidents do not get involved in backstabbing the standing administration....hmmmm...how does Dick Head Carter come off being such a dweeb...and Clinton...trying to steal a little of the limelight he once had? In my estimation..it just degrades the person that does that crap all the more...no class...just lip service :roll:

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue May 27, 2003 9:59 pm

The Swamp wrote:
Bush's problem is that he refuses to address the economy. All he wants to talk about is terror, Iraq, Saddam, Osama, and the rest of the middle east. When people can't find work, lose their homes, and lose their retirement, foreign policy is the last thing on their minds. When Bush does address the economy, the only thing he can say is that the rich (his friends and cronies) need a huge tax cut. Huh? He is making the same mistakes his father made, burying himself in foreign policy while the nation is in an economic depression. Maybe he figures the entire nation can work at McDonalds and Wal Mart.

Bush is completely out of touch, and all the democrats really have to do is tap into that for a repeat of 1992. If they can't, it's going to be 4 more years of recession.

Come again? How is going around the country, selling his tax relief plan "refusing to address" the economy? He's sent people to at least 26 states in the last few months to sell the tax plan. Businesses are suffering now, and they need a shot in the arm, specifically, the government NOT to suck up what money they have. The deficit is manageable--the interest we have to pay on it is substantial, but it's nowhere near crippling.

And exactly as someone else already said--I'd blame Osama and Clinton long before I blamed George Bush. The recession had started long before he got into office, and the terrorist attacks made things a lot worse.
GO CARDINALS!

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 27, 2003 11:10 pm

Rakhmaninov3 wrote:
The Swamp wrote:

Come again? How is going around the country, selling his tax relief plan "refusing to address" the economy? He's sent people to at least 26 states in the last few months to sell the tax plan. Businesses are suffering now, and they need a shot in the arm, specifically, the government NOT to suck up what money they have. The deficit is manageable--the interest we have to pay on it is substantial, but it's nowhere near crippling.

And exactly as someone else already said--I'd blame Osama and Clinton long before I blamed George Bush. The recession had started long before he got into office, and the terrorist attacks made things a lot worse.

Bush's tax relief plan is really nothing more than a gift to his wealthy friends. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. I guess taxes are for the little people in Bush's mind. It's classic trickle-down economics. But, what happens if the rich don't reinvest with the money they save from the tax cut? If they sit on the money, which is what they will probably do until the economy improves, then this does nothing but help the very rich. The states are operating in red ink that's getting deeper by the week and all Bush can think about it how to help his friends out at the expense of everyone else. I'm all for dedicating resources to foreign policy, but I think the President needs to put out the fires in the back yard before he tries to put out the fires in another neighborhood.

If Bush really wanted to set some long term Good Things in motion, he'd fight for a 40% tarriff on goods imported into the US. The US has got to try to bring some of the manufacturing jobs back. GM wants to build a plant in Mexico and lay off 25,000 people? No problem. Slap a 40% tarriff on each car GM tries to import. I think that would make GM think twice about moving a plant there. It would create an balance wherein domestic corporations would have incentive to reinvest here instead of some third world country where they can pay workers .50 a day. I realize the corporations would howl and scream, but what is the alternative? The alternative is we all work at Wal Mart and McDonalds. Everything else will be overseas.

You think Bush would push for tarriffs? Never! Corporate America owns him, and they would sell out anything or anyone if it meant making one extra dollar. I don't think the republicans realize that Joe Public is far more worried about losing his job and house than he is about Osama. And that's what's going to come back to haunt them come reelection. Just like it did in '92.

I'm actually a conservative republican, believe it or not, despite my downright soviet style ramblings... :)