New RSS feeds - give them a whirl

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

New RSS feeds - give them a whirl

Postposted on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:45 pm

So we're updating our RSS feeds. The current ones are way too short and shortbread items go into all sorts of funny shapes. They're now longer (1.5 paragraphs) and retain all necessary formatting. Shortbread "appetizers" are now in stock and will be served daily. Do try the fondue.

We'll also be overhauling the RSS structure overall. The older separated-by-section feeds (i.e. "Motherboards and Chipsets - Articles") will be dropped. In their place, we intend to put up a page with four main feeds:

- News (same content as now, will still include news + articles + blogs + 'bread)
- Shortbread only
- Articles (articles + blogs)
- Podcast only (both formats)

For now, you can add this News test feed to your readers and let us know of any problems you encounter. Known bugs so far: images aren't appearing (comics revealed this).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/techreport/CwgY
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Re: New RSS feeds - give them a whirl

Postposted on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:43 am

Is the "Articles" feed essentially a "no shortbread feed" or will it be missing other items? I ask because a "everything but the 'bread" feed is really what I'm looking for.
Dodger
Gerbil In Training
Gold subscriber

Re: New RSS feeds - give them a whirl

Postposted on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:51 pm

The added length feels so little that it's kind of hard to notice the change, haha! Will you be adding pictures to the feed when they're relevant? I think my favorite RSS feed from a technology website would have to be ArsTechnica's: http://feeds.arstechnica.com/arstechnica/BAaf Good shortbread length, occasional short but full length posts, and they usually have pictures that make it hard to resist clicking through to the article too.
Core i3-2100 | MSI P67A-C43 | (2 x 4 GB) G.Skill DDR3-1600 | Radeon HD 4830 | Asus Xonar Xense
EndlessSnowfall
Gerbil

Return to The Back Porch