Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Kurkotain
Gerbil First Class

Re: My Bulldozer is HERE!!!

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:17 am

Most misleading post ever.

made me laugh like crazy thought :D
Asus x83vm-x1, that's my main system: p8400, nvidia 9600m gs, 4g ddr2 (currently 2)

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:59 am

Nice! That's awesome. Are you going to give it time to establish vegetation? How do you plan on introducing species? At least in MN, you would have to have the DNR come out and do it, common folk aren't allowed to transport live game fish.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Nah, not quite 22' /:-/ Probably about 15 or so because the spillway is rather low, about 4' down from the rest of the damn. I am going to speak with them tomorrow to see if the spillway can be brought up another 2' or so (or do it myself later). I have to admit I played with the angle and my position a bit to make the pond look a lot larger in the photograph. I am looking downhill on full wide-angle and my son is small for his age. All factor in to making the pond look monstrous. It is only around 0.7 acres total. Still larger than my parent's yard, but I was hoping for 1+ acres originally.

I don't have to call in the DEC for pond-stocking. I can either catch and release the locals, or I can go to this great pond shop a few miles from us and get any kind of legal fish I could hope for. Trout, walleye, goldfish, bass, perch, sunfish, pike, etc. I may resist most types of goldfish since they stir up mud in their hunt for food. I cannot wait to go "fishing in reverse" in the spring!

I spent some time down in the hole this evening setting up large rocks for fish "houses" to give them places to hide. Ideally I would create a whole network of rocks and small caves for baby fish to take shelter in, but the damn is too steep to support much farting around. As it is I have a big project of setting up chains and blocks to hold a raft in-place tomorrow before it starts to fill up. I don't think I have enough jugs to float all of the chain I need.

liquidsquid
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:42 pm

So after a few weeks and a couple of decent rains, it is filling fairly nice. Cloudy water right now from the downpour we received two days ago, but a little while ago it was crystal-clear. Now working on making a dock which is proving to be interesting. I have all of the footers in, but having some trouble locating nice posts that wont pollute the water.
We now have enough water for skating this winter if the ground freezes enough to turn the slurry of mud into a manageable surface.
I am debating on whether or not to put in small fish this late to get an early start, or wait until spring. Arguments both ways...
Roughly 5' of water already in the deepest parts.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:13 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
but having some trouble locating nice posts that wont pollute the water.

Have you already ruled out plastiwood? Expensive up front but you'd never have to replace it. A trio of 12' 2x6 boards bolted together every 8-12" with stainless hardware ought to make a fairly durable 6x6 post that doesn't flex, rot, or rust.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:20 pm

This thread FTW!

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:40 pm

For the fish have you consider putting in something like pea-gravel in a part, bigger rocks else where, sand for your beach to give them different structures to hang out in? You could always anchor your Christmas tree to the bottom for a few years as well.

liquidsquid
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:56 am

We did set up a few dozen different piles of rocks to make "fish houses" in the bottom which are all underwater now. Some of them are rather large. If anything it is shelter for the fish's prey.

It is a good thought on the plastiwood, but my GOD that stuff is expensive. I am having one heck of a time finding the right materials for water use though. Apparently I have a "rare" project going on for my area as many of the finger lakes you cannot have a permanent dock, it must be removable in the winter. This means the local hardware and lumber yards don't stock what I need. In order to get posts from 84 lumber, I would have to order 30 of them, what would I do with the other 26? I may have to re-think my project :-(.

-LS

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:29 am

liquidsquid wrote:
As promised:

Holy crap they cost a lot of money! No wonder it costs so much for a couple of day's labor.
Note: forum trimming picture... I didn't frame it THAT bad.

WOARRRRR a KOMATSU!!!!

When you are done w/ it can I borrow it?

I need to make some parking space down town..... >:)
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:34 am

- LS

Just go spend a bunch at the House of Guitars (it is still there?) and let the pond fill as it will.

Oh, and when is the first East Coast TR BBQ?

Seriously J/K.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:41 pm

Eh, how about concrete columns/posts?

liquidsquid
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Yes, the HOG is still there! Dropped many a buck in there over the years. Loved wading through the mountains of concert **** to look for classic Genesis a Peter Gabriel concert Ts.

The real problem I have with creating the dock is the soil or whatever you want to call it is a combination of clay and big stinking rocks. You try to dig a hole, you hit a rock the size of a tractor tire. Many of these are buried in the dam. The clay shifts, makes for poor digging, and generally sucks for dropping posts in. In all, I probably should have spent the money on a floating dock instead.

I wound up using 3' mason spikes to pound through rocks and clay as I could down about 2.5', then poured 160lbs of crack-resistant mortar over each array of spikes in a 1' - 2' deep hole to make a virtual 4' deep "post". In this case hitting a rock was desired as it would add to the stability. Mason spikes are tough and can crack through some fairly large rocks. So to sum it up, to make a concrete post would not only be expensive, I would have to dig a monstrously deep hole to hold it steady so that it wouldn't lean over time. The footer-spike option lets the footer shift, but the pole pivot at the mounting junction so that I can keep the dock level over time by minor adjustments. I am expecting these footers to shift a lot, but the posts I need mostly to anchor the dock and hopefully a diving/fishing platform.

All I know is lumber prices are pretty frigging high. Didn't account for $18 for one 4x4 of properly treated lumber for fresh water installations.

I have gotten pretty obsessed about this pond thing and have had a lot of fun searching for springs which happen to be the cut off ends of old farm tile. Up to 6 actively running clear springs now!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:49 am

What if you were to create bollard-style concrete "posts" by centering a single rebar rod inside a section of 4" or 6" schedule 40 PVC, then filling it up with a mixture biased toward sand and pea-gravel? Cut, cap, and seal the ends when you're done and it would be indefinitely water-proof. You could put some large, stainless-steel bolts through it prior to the pour for adequate mounting provisions. Again, nowhere near free, but the materials are readily available and it ought to be environment-neutral.

Main thing, whatever you do, is to make provisions for x-bracing along both axes. If it can sway at all, it will eventually work free of its foundation.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

cheesyking

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:04 am

If only you'd been a Tory MP over here in the UK, you could have got this all done for free:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/8065083.stm
Though you would have needed to buy your own duck island. :lol:

Looks like a good job, it'll look magic once it matures!
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

liquidsquid
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:16 pm

A small update:
The pond is now full, it took only 3 months to get approximately 3.8 million gallons in there. Amazing that much water passes through there 3 out of 9 wet months! I never thought of our property being "wet" being on a hillside. I should have made the pond larger :-(. So it actually is about 0.6 acres overall, and the dam has settled about 1.5 feet after it was completed.

In all we are pretty happy with it, and I have started the process of creating structure and shelter for the fish I will be stocking. In the spring I will be putting in minnows, and then late summer and early fall I will be putting in perch and walleye. Next spring probably pumpkin-seed sunfish. So currently collecting some spent Christmas trees and making some plastic fake trees.

So you can kinda tell my priorities are shifting away from PC building and more into the outdoor stuff lately.

Anyhow on with the pics!

Not quite full yet...
Now full! (This evening)
The overflow:
It will look so nice once I have a chance to grass and wildflower it! Right now a (frozen) muddy mess that is in dire need of a York rake.

Feeling rather blessed.

Oh, dock project is a bust. Going to have to make a floater! Pilings are 15 feet under, the wood did not show up in time and conditions plain stunk for working on it. Not really wanting to drain the pond to put in the dock, I would rather suck up the effort I made and make a floating dock instead.

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:56 am

Wow!
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

jenipound
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:50 pm

Looks great - the dozer did a good job - It'll be ready for a defrag now!

liquidsquid
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Did a little ice-skating and some hockey this past weekend, boy are my skating legs out of shape, though I haven't lost my ability to handle a puck. Too bad the ice turned to poo early this week though.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:08 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
Did a little ice-skating and some hockey this past weekend, boy are my skating legs out of shape, though I haven't lost my ability to handle a puck. Too bad the ice turned to poo early this week though.

That sounds pretty crappy.

liquidsquid
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:52 am

A little update, no longer a mud hole!

metalhead
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:12 am

Looks nice and peaceful!! Any plans on adding a few ducks?

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:42 am

metalhead wrote:
Looks nice and peaceful!! Any plans on adding a few ducks?

If my father in law's pond is any indication wild ducks and other water fowl should show up next year.
They seem to have to over-fly the pond a couple of times before they decide to take a risk of landing on it.

It not a huge pond maybe 3/8ths of an acre with the deepest part about 25 feet. Spring and ground water fed.

Dad's pond is stocked with bass, sunfish, and perch. We have some box turtles and more frogs than you can count.
We put in young catfish when we first stocked and we still do catch and release with them. The last one that came up was 20 pounds.

We have caught some gator snappers crossing the road from the swamp on the way over to pond but so far we don't seem to be infested.

Interestingly enough we seem to have giant fresh water clams in the pond left over from when it was also a swamp. Some of the dead ones look to be over 50 years old counting their rings. Changing the swamp to a pond was a huge help in keeping the local skeeter population down. Sunfish and frogs really like eating them.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD