Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Japanese?

Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:38 pm

what kind of CPU's do they use in Japan? China? do they have AMD/Intel over there? are they based there? I don't really know, and I feel dumb not knowing.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:52 pm

Basically, AMD & Intel rule the world... lol...

YBK
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:53 pm

Yeh AMD and Intel. :D
Shake it to the limit!
PING

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:56 pm

VIA (C3) is supposedly pretty big in China.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:57 pm

Japan is still mostly AMD/Intel, but if you snoop around China, India, and alot of the other computer-equipped countries in that area, there are more C3s and their ilk than there are here. Often, space and noise are the major concern, performance only second, which makes heat output a much larger factor.

Generally, it's AMD/Intel all over the world, though. The brands are sometimes different, but the same overall stuff inside the box. Pretty much Nvidia/ATI in the graphics scene as well, though smaller brands have a much larger presence in less-affluent countries, as well. Lots of SiS/Trident graphics in poorer countries, etc.

crazybus

Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:58 pm

Lol @ China. They probably have supercomputer clusters with Via C3s :lol:
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:28 pm

crazybus wrote:
Lol @ China. They probably have supercomputer clusters with Via C3s :lol:
we have them with PS2's

they need to make a folding core than can utilize graphics card powers :)

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:42 pm

Transmeta?

druidcent

Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:37 am

I can tell you from first hand experience, Intel is very big in India.. AMD's are heard of, but AMD provides no support and a few bad stories (mainly carry overs from the K-6 days) means that no one there is willing to take a chance on AMD.

I've been trying to get my office to switch over, but since they can't get the technical support that they expect (a technician who will make house/office calls) they don't want to go with AMD... This is a real shame since AMD can be a lot cheaper and a $50 difference in price is roughly Rs.2500

-Cent

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:44 am

druidcent wrote:
I can tell you from first hand experience, Intel is very big in India.. AMD's are heard of, but AMD provides no support and a few bad stories (mainly carry overs from the K-6 days) means that no one there is willing to take a chance on AMD.

I've been trying to get my office to switch over, but since they can't get the technical support that they expect (a technician who will make house/office calls) they don't want to go with AMD... This is a real shame since AMD can be a lot cheaper and a $50 difference in price is roughly Rs.2500

-Cent

lol nice. i've been to india as well. dealt with many IT companies over there.
everyone no matter who it is you're dealing with over there is looking to
save a rupee here or there. it's not about who has the fastest cpu or
the most ram. every cyber cafe out there is still running on the pentium
2's with less then 64mb ram (if even that!). i've been to chennai and
seen this, bangalore, ooty, madras, and all over karnataka and tamil nadu.
face it, india is and will always remain a 3rd world country. the best
city is still bangalore, indias silicon valley. i never made it up to see how
hyderbad is doing in the tekkie ways, but i'm sure more of the same.

dolemitecomputers

Re: Japanese?

Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:58 am

SpotTheCat wrote:
what kind of CPU's do they use in Japan? China? do they have AMD/Intel over there? are they based there? I don't really know, and I feel dumb not knowing.

Are you kidding? AKIBA BABY! All the good stuff comes out in Japan before the states. I remember they had that cool socket 370 Gigabyte board that came with a free Zippo lighter.

Asus's Opteron board:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/ho ... /nsk1.html

druidcent

Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:00 pm

thegleek wrote:
druidcent wrote:

-Cent

lol nice. i've been to india as well. dealt with many IT companies over there.
everyone no matter who it is you're dealing with over there is looking to
save a rupee here or there. it's not about who has the fastest cpu or
the most ram. every cyber cafe out there is still running on the pentium
2's with less then 64mb ram (if even that!). i've been to chennai and
seen this, bangalore, ooty, madras, and all over karnataka and tamil nadu.
face it, india is and will always remain a 3rd world country. the best
city is still bangalore, indias silicon valley. i never made it up to see how
hyderbad is doing in the tekkie ways, but i'm sure more of the same.

Hyderabad is about on par with Bangalore. And lets be honest, for internet chatting and email, basically what the cyber cafe's are used for, do you honestly need more than a P2? Even for development machines for the software houses, how powerful of a processor do you really need. High end machines with lots of horsepower are enthusiasts machines... Over there, having a hobby which relies on spotty power and is expensive to the average user, is pure extravagance. A cheap computer (with Windows to make the comparison fair) will run no less than $500 dollars.

That's Rs.25000 which is enough to pay the rent for a middle class family for 5 months... I'm sure you can see why computers haven't dropped into the mainstream market like they have here.

I disagree with India always being a 3rd world country... India has the potential and talent to catapult into the first world.. The problem lies mainly with corrupt government officials who takes most of the money which could be used for development. I say give it 50-100 years and India will be an economic powerhouse.. You have to remember, India as a modern, sovereign nation is only about 50 years old... the youngest First world nation is around 200 years old...

-Cent

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:14 pm

druidcent wrote:
I disagree with India always being a 3rd world country... India has the potential and talent to catapult into the first world.. The problem lies mainly with corrupt government officials who takes most of the money which could be used for development. I say give it 50-100 years and India will be an economic powerhouse.. You have to remember, India as a modern, sovereign nation is only about 50 years old... the youngest First world nation is around 200 years old...

well the day india becomes a 1st world country is the day me and you are
both 6 feet under my brother... do you live there now? do you not know
that india has the 2nd largest population in the world? do you read those
stickers they put on every lorry? sure they are making progress, which i saw
a lot of...but come on... where's all the schools? the hospitals? as you keep
referencing the rupees, the ratio is 50:1 still, at par with the filipino peso.

and yes, the goverment itself can be blamed for all the corruption and
briberies that go on to keep some businesses in business. my last
company i worked for got screwed cuz of BSNL and the goverments
interactions with the funds being trasferred, the computers coming into
the country, taxing this - taxing that, the poor quality of E1 lines in general
there make any vo/ip operation just plain suck. i'm surprised that
anything works over there! lol...

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:37 pm

There must be schools there someplace, because around here, engineering jobs are being filled with smart, eager, engineers from India who care less about how much they make and more about getting their foot in the door. I'm reading stuff all the time about big US software companies opening develpment houses there to exploit the cheap engineering talent there. Seems that most ppl there leave (to the US, mostly) when they get enough money to. Makes you wonder how India is going to prosper long term if people leave once they get their degrees, etc...

The same thing could be said of China, #1 in the world in population. Most of the stuff I've read says that analysts think China has the potential to catapult to the top the world in GDP. The world will be a very different place by the time I wear depends....

In order for the US to stay on top, we need to be #1 in education like we were a few decades ago. We should use Japan's education system as a model. High School for the majority of kids today is more like party-school then a place to get the base knowledge needed to be successful in life, to have something to base your college entrance on...

Otherwise I think the USA won't be able to compete long-term.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:46 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
There must be schools there someplace, because around here, engineering jobs are being filled with smart, eager, engineers from India who care less about how much they make and more about getting their foot in the door. I'm reading stuff all the time about big US software companies opening develpment houses there to exploit the cheap engineering talent there. Seems that most ppl there leave (to the US, mostly) when they get enough money to. Makes you wonder how India is going to prosper long term if people leave once they get their degrees, etc...

oh wow...yer flipping this completely into a different level...

there are schools there and yes when the families can afford to send
their kids there, they go. and they learn, boy do they learn! cuz of the
major religious differences there and morals/values placed upon the
family. most kids in school dont mess around with drugs and girls the
way our american culture does. indian kids dont need to pack guns
to kill other kids or teachers like ours do. they have more wit then us.
our society and culture is going out the window cuz we have it too good
over here. if any of you disagree with this, go visit another country besides
canada and see for yerself...

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
The same thing could be said of China, #1 in the world in population. Most of the stuff I've read says that analysts think China has the potential to catapult to the top the world in GDP. The world will be a very different place by the time I wear depends....

i doubt it. india would beat china to the race. china's goverment is the
most f*&*d up goverment in the world. facism. communism. the people
are complacent cuz they fear. dont even get me started on china. i'll
just drop it now.

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
In order for the US to stay on top, we need to be #1 in education like we were a few decades ago. We should use Japan's education system as a model. High School for the majority of kids today is more like party-school then a place to get the base knowledge needed to be successful in life, to have something to base your college entrance on...

few decades? buddy, we're still in the top10. perhaps #1, not sure. but i
know we're up there... if the japanese education system is so good why
do they have the most suicides per capita in the world? o_O huh?

dolemitecomputers

Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:49 pm

Wow. This kind of got off on a tangent..... :wink:

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:40 pm

dolemitecomputers wrote:
Wow. This kind of got off on a tangent..... :wink:

yeah...i was hanging out in here, sipping on my iced brisk tea and
decided to shoot the breeze with ya'll... so here we are...

druidcent

Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:51 pm

thegleek wrote:
FroBozz_Inc wrote:

oh wow...yer flipping this completely into a different level...

there are schools there and yes when the families can afford to send
their kids there, they go. and they learn, boy do they learn! cuz of the
major religious differences there and morals/values placed upon the
family. most kids in school dont mess around with drugs and girls the
way our american culture does. indian kids dont need to pack guns
to kill other kids or teachers like ours do. they have more wit then us.
our society and culture is going out the window cuz we have it too good
over here. if any of you disagree with this, go visit another country besides
canada and see for yerself...

FroBozz_Inc wrote:

i doubt it. india would beat china to the race. china's goverment is the
most f*&*d up goverment in the world. facism. communism. the people
are complacent cuz they fear. dont even get me started on china. i'll
just drop it now.

FroBozz_Inc wrote:

few decades? buddy, we're still in the top10. perhaps #1, not sure. but i
know we're up there... if the japanese education system is so good why
do they have the most suicides per capita in the world? o_O huh?

Yep.. I tend to hijack threads through no fault of my own.. anyway, to answer your question earlier thegleek, I don't live in India, but I travel their at least once a year for anywhere between 1-3 months.. and I have lots of family there.

And as I said, I don't expect India to become first world within the next 75 to 100 years... which means that more than likely we'll both be renewing the earth... Unfortunately, I believe India has surpassed China as most populated country, which I am well aware... And as for the exchange rate, it hasn't gotten any worse in the last several years... I remember 10 years ago when it was only 20:1 or something like that... It's been stable between 40-50:1 for the last 5 years or so...

I have to agree with FroBozz in that China also has major potential.. And I'd have to say the Chinese government is moving in the right direction.. As russia has proven, trying to go instantly from oppression to freedom usually results in self destruction. China is taking it slowly and building the infrastructure to move to a capitalistic society. If you look at China now and compare it to China just after WWII, you will see a marked change in the amount of freedoms the current government allows.

School systems are a topic which I should save for another thread, but what the heck... I believe the US school system is very good for the way our culture is. Our culture is based on freedom and individuality. Our school system recognizes that, and the best students are the ones who push themselves. Granted the quality has gone down some in the K-12 levels, mostly because of letting kids run the classrooms, but the university systems are still nop notch. Having worked with Indian engineers, in India, I will say that the majority who make it here to the US are definitly the cream of the crop. The ones who stay in India are good at what they do. However what they do is essentially code what others tell them to. All of my engineers have severe problems if I give general guidelines and tell them to use their own initiative. They have to be handheld through each step. An American engineer can take a problem and solve it own his/her own. That is the advantage of the US school systems. Our school teaches us how to learn, and how to solve problems in general. In most other countries, schools are geared to teach problems in specific and one (two if they are lucky) way to do it every time.

As for the best and brightest leaving, well yes, they come here, get their foot in the door.. about half stay, the other half only want to work for a couple years, then retire comfortably back in India. Either way, almost every Indian who comes over here sends quite a bit of money back home to family. After working in the States for 5-10 years, an engineer can retire in India with the equivalent lifestyle of a millionaire here.

-Cent

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:52 pm

Wow. This kind of got off on a tangent.....

Well... the Back Porch is essentially a tangent already, by definition. So this latest discussion would be a tangent to a tangent, right? :wink:

(And this post would then be a tangent to a tangent to a tangent... and this sentence is a... oh, never mind. :D)

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:13 pm

druidcent wrote:
As for the best and brightest leaving, well yes, they come here, get their foot in the door.. about half stay, the other half only want to work for a couple years, then retire comfortably back in India. Either way, almost every Indian who comes over here sends quite a bit of money back home to family. After working in the States for 5-10 years, an engineer can retire in India with the equivalent lifestyle of a millionaire here.

wow! nicely said!!!! cant argue with not one thing you mentioned! not that
i want to! (i didnt quote the entire post either... conserve yer 0s and 1s!)

if i could make the same salary as i get here in the states and take that
with me to india, i'd move there in a heartbeat. but i doubt that will ever
come true... i have made many friends over there as well...

druidcent

Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:35 pm

Someone who agrees with me?? Wow.. this must be my lucky day... :D

Anyway, I kind of forgot the point I was trying to make... The topic was the talent in India was leaving, so the development of the country goes.. I was trying to point out, that these engineers are infusing lots of money into the Indian economy.

As for myself, I love visiting and staying with relatives and what not, but I don't think I could live there... I think its the movies.. they very rarely get movies like X-Men, and forget about the Incredible Hulk or League of Extraordinary Gentleman... Sci-fi books there are rare as are RPG's and computer games :D

Hrmm.. I wonder why they are more fit :D

-Cent

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:12 pm

druidcent wrote:
As for myself, I love visiting and staying with relatives and what not, but I don't think I could live there... I think its the movies.. they very rarely get movies like X-Men, and forget about the Incredible Hulk or League of Extraordinary Gentleman... Sci-fi books there are rare as are RPG's and computer games :D

Hrmm.. I wonder why they are more fit :D

-Cent

hahahah yeah one can only handle so much of bollywood yo!!!! hahahaha

but as for the movies u mentioned, hell - in bangalore alone, i could inform
you of 10-20 such blackmarkets that sell the latest american movies on
vcds and music on cd for 50 to 200 rupee each! i know cuz i purchased
100's of such product =)

druidcent

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:42 pm

Oh yeah.. but VCD's are never that great a quality, and you lose the theater experience. And Hollywood films have issues when shown over there.. I like the idea of the intermission, but I have yet to go to a movie where they didn't run the movie through the intermission so parts were cut out... I think this is to save time or something...

I do love the balcony seating though. Sound quality isn't anything like the US unfortunately.

And for some reason I like the Bollywood films.. as long as I have one of my cousins around to translate for me :D

-Cent

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:25 am

druidcent wrote:
And for some reason I like the Bollywood films.. as long as I have one of my cousins around to translate for me :D

-Cent

what sucks about bollywood is that they dont cater to the american folks.
none of their releases come with subtitles at the bottom in english.

a recommendation for you is to rent/buy a tamil nadu fild called: RHYTHM

awesome movie!

druidcent

Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:52 am

On the other hand, I've seen several Bollywood titles in Blockbuster and Hollywood video... granted they are the blockbusters over there like Lagaan (great movie by the way) but some cheese gets through as well. Basically like Hollywood movies over there...

Anyway, the titles you can rent in Blockbuster and Hollywood Video usually have subtitles, especially the DVD versions...

-Cent

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:14 am

druidcent wrote:
On the other hand, I've seen several Bollywood titles in Blockbuster and Hollywood video... granted they are the blockbusters over there like Lagaan (great movie by the way) but some cheese gets through as well. Basically like Hollywood movies over there...

Anyway, the titles you can rent in Blockbuster and Hollywood Video usually have subtitles, especially the DVD versions...

-Cent

true, i've seen lagaan (long movie!), and legend of bhagat singh,
bendover beckham, and tons more....

druidcent

Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:31 am

thegleek wrote:
true, i've seen lagaan (long movie!), and legend of bhagat singh, bendover beckham, and tons more....

Um.. I'm pretty sure you meant Bend It Like Beckham... bendover beckham is a Hollywood pron flick I'm sure :D

Which Bhagat Singh movie was that? There were two that released at the same time.. I have had a chance to see either :(

Anyway, I can't even begin to list all the movies I've seen... of course I usually watch them for the actresses (yowza!) and the costumes...

-Cent[/b]

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:42 am

druidcent wrote:
Um.. I'm pretty sure you meant Bend It Like Beckham... bendover beckham is a Hollywood pron flick I'm sure :D

lol omg...yeah typo... now i gotta see if that porn exists! hehe...

druidcent wrote:
Which Bhagat Singh movie was that? There were two that released at the same time.. I have had a chance to see either :(

dunno which one. the new one. awesome movie!!! i highly recommend it
to anyone wishing to learn some more about the legendary bhagat singh
of india. way better then that chump ghandi.

druidcent wrote:
Anyway, I can't even begin to list all the movies I've seen... of course I usually watch them for the actresses (yowza!) and the costumes...

-Cent[/b]

yeah i miss watching indian tv....that girl from mtv asia/india is to die for! yum

druidcent

Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:41 pm

I think Ghandi was impressive in his own right... Bhagat Singh bombed the parliment building.. but that would have brought no results.. Look at the Israel/Palestine conflict... violence doesn't solve the problem...

Ghandi on the other hand brought an empire to its knees. With his philosophies, he led a nation in humbling the greatest empire on earth at the time, in a way that the Brits had no choice...

With violence as a response, you simply make your opponent angry and be able to shunt aside emotions which would make it difficult to fight.

For most humans, to kill another human being requires great willpower. If you are trying to kill someone who is trying to hurt you, then it becomes easier to see your opponent as less than human, and thus easier to kill. If you are trying to kill someone who is not threatening you in specific, then the high barrier still exists and carrying through on the act imparts psychological damage.

And most Indian girls fall in the super-hot category.. :D Especially the ones on TV...

-Cent