Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:08 am

Hey, I remember doing exactly the same thing last year and the year before too I think...

Would stay up till 3 or 4 on msn cos I couldn't sleep... was frustrating...

When I was about 8 I remember having that routine (although without staying up so late!) and playing my Mega Drive all day because I didn't get up early enough for anything else... and one day I had some friends round, and got a migraine whilst playing Theme Park (what a game! lol). I looked at my life, which went as follows.

Get up.
Eat crap.
Play mega drive.
Watch telly.
Go to bed.

Every weekend or so have a migraine.

I sat there and thought, "Never again will I just do this all day."

I would sleep till somewhere between 12-4 (!!!) every day, wake up, eat, watch telly, go on msn/TR for a while... watch more telly (At this point, I'd got rid of my last console about 4 months beforehand, and didn't have another... woe was me...)

I remember staying awake all night to try and kick myself into a sleeping habit on the cheap. I remember using my birthday money as a buffer until I could get a job. I remember scraping together two penny bags so I had enough for a £2.70 return train fare when the buffer ran out...

Oh, and going for a job is fun too :roll:. My only tip is to go back and try again and again, don't turn your nose up at ANY job, money is money is money. I finally got a job after a few traipses 'round the town (a train fair, meaning I couldn't do it without borrowing money!) and printing 20 CVs out. Finally got a job at McDonald's (like I said, money is money), on £3.75, now currently been working there for two years this August, on £4.41, looking to transfer the job with me when I go to Uni later on this year...

Finally got tired of the sleeping routine a week or so back... was commonly late at school 3 or 4 days a week, getting up an hour late and having 15 minutes to get ready, missing registration and so being "late" was the common morning thing for a long time!

Got hold of some Nightol tablets, currently getting up at 5:30-6:00 every morning :-D. Having said that I'm finding that they're getting me to sleep erratically e.g. last night was the first night for a while that I stopped using them, and I didn't sleep till about 2, then i woke up at 4, then fell asleep till about 7:30 again... other times I'll go to sleep at 11 and wake up at 5:30 (my alarm goes off at 6:30, and usually gets everyone else up before me, that's how easy it is to get me up!)

But yeah, I sympathise with ya mate, the doldrums aren't much fun,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:22 am

Augh! Wow I feel for you. Every now and then I go through periods where I can't sleep, usually because I am stressed out. A few things I have learned though that help without drugs:

NEVER watch TV in bed. For some reason you brain prevents you from sleeping well if you do this regularly. Something about association.

Excersize at least two hours before you go to bed, any closer and you get what I call "the twitches". Too busy tossing and turning to get to sleep.

Get a regular scedule going. Always go to bed at the same time, always get up at the same time (except for a few special occasions), and sleep when it's dark (i.e. before 3AM) This helps the most.

No caffene before bed. Duh.

Read a book in bed before you turn out the lights. This one helps me the most unless it is a really good book. Try to keep them boring but escapist to give you something fun to dream about. I can't sleep unless I read first these days I am so used to it.

I hope these ideas help a little in your quest for peacefull sleep. They worked for me.

-LS

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:40 am

Helps to get a little fore bedtime too...nod rite off :wink:

liquidsquid

Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:02 am

Well, yeah that's a given. Now that I am married, I would never get any sleep relying on this :cry:

-LS

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:56 am

hmmm zuka juice, i mean jamba juice
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

YBK

Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:14 am

Do some exercise before sleeping and try to become tired. Latly its been working with me. Oh and then read your eyes will beg you to close. :)
Shake it to the limit!
PING