Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: TR BBQ ~IX~ Official Thread - August 11, 2012

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:22 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Need lots of ammo for Captain Ned's big gun. ;)

Don't worry. I'm coming into Holland on Friday, so I'll have plenty of time to scope out the best russets available in the local Mega-Marts. I need to use russets because most other potatos don't work with a 2-inch barrel.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:37 pm

You could also scope out the farmer's market on Saturday morning. Which reminds me, I forgot to put sweetcorn on the list of things we need... :o

Inkling
TR Staff

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:49 pm

drfish wrote:
You could also scope out the farmer's market on Saturday morning. Which reminds me, I forgot to put sweetcorn on the list of things we need... :o

Ahhh, man, wish I'd known or thought of this. We gave away a heap of our sweetcorn last week because there's no way we were going to eat it all. It wasn't great this year, but better than the average crap-shoot you get at a grocery store or many farmers' markets.
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Not a big deal, I'm sure I'll be able to get some despite all the crops around here looking as bad as they do.

So I'm looking at the list and I think we could use more drinks as well as someone to pickup a veggie platter or two, possibly some watermelon and maybe late meal items/smores stuff. No pressure, just keeping the list organized for my own reference.

BTW, who all is coming Friday night? Should we try to meet up downtown at New Holland Brewing or something? I'm going to have a busy day and an early morning but if people are in town and need a meal anyway, why not?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:29 pm

drfish wrote:
BTW, who all is coming Friday night? Should we try to meet up downtown at New Holland Brewing or something? I'm going to have a busy day and an early morning but if people are in town and need a meal anyway, why not?

I'm planning on hitting your area in mid-afternoon Friday. Coming from Erie, PA (my midpoint stop) and if I get out the door at a reasonable hour mid-afternoon should be doable.

A question for the regulars coming from the east: What's the best spot to head north from I-90? Google Maps has me going around Toledo, up US 23 through Ann Arbor, to I-96. If there's a better way I'm all ears.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:39 pm

That's how I've normally done it coming back from numerous trips to Pittsburgh - I would consider it the best option.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:41 pm

drfish wrote:
That's how I've normally done it coming back from numerous trips to Pittsburgh - I would consider it the best option.

Gratzi.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:50 pm

drfish wrote:
So I'm looking at the list and I think we could use more drinks as well as someone to pickup a veggie platter or two, possibly some watermelon and maybe late meal items/smores stuff. No pressure, just keeping the list organized for my own reference.

I'll try to see what I can bring but I can't promise anything yet - it'll be last minute... But for sure I'll have 12-24 different bottles of craft beer. Maybe some of my own homebrew, but not sure what I have bottled...

drfish wrote:

I -was- planning on being there friday night, but wife is coming with me this year and she works that evening. Hopefully she'll arrive here at 8am so we can leave and arrive 4 hours later (noon). If she comes home late, I guess we'll be showing up late!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:21 pm

we can bring tables and maybe a chair or two
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:13 pm

idchafee wrote:
we can bring tables and maybe a chair or two

Add to that another 2-3 tables, and another 2-3 chairs...

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Nice job with the tables and chairs........if we end up with too many, I can always toss idchafee thru them, ECW style :)

We are starting a bit late this year so I have some questions and suggestions.

For this years tourney, can we possibly start making the cornhole bracket in advance, and by that I mean, get some large pieces of cardboard, a yard stick, and black markers ready so we can just fill in the names?
(instead of hunting for pen and paper at the last minute :) Also, maybe get the name slips, that we use for the seating, ready as well for most of the confirmed guests.

Should we do the swap meet before the tourney this year or after?

Lastly, can we do the name tag thing again, since we will have some first timers?

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:59 pm

I can make the brackets, unless someone else wants to. Who ran it last year?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:37 am

Mr.Robot did the bracket last year since he was the only person in attendance that knew anything about sports. :lol: I'm glad Ian will be back this year or we'd be lost. I have my standard issue whiteboard/dry erase markers for the bracket and I can print out names in advance. Name tags are no problem. :) Also, food is going to be a little later than normal but everyone is still welcome to show up at noon or whenever so there will be time to get whatever done first.

3rd step of building a 25' long raft, have at it with a giant food saver (I'd love to should you more details but the coolest parts are all proprietary).

The finished product laying flat:

The point at which my air pump ran out of battery ( :oops: ):

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:25 am

It is done!

Now comes the task of DEFLATING it and rolling it so I can fit it in my car. :o I didn't weigh it yet but based on the type and amount of material its easily 100lbs+. First I'm going to let it sit for awhile to make sure it holds pressure.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:48 am

Wow that's insane! I love it!
Looks like it might be challenging to get it down to the water down all those steps. :o

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:37 am

hmmmm the name tag thing will be interesting. I think I am going to pass on that one for reasons that shall remain un-posted.

I shall be arriving Friday night as I need to drop off the food. Fish you mentioned that the plan is to have food ready a bit later. No issue with me but when are you thinking so I make sure I adjust accordingly.

BTW - am I actually allow to compete in the tournament this year or am I again relegated to the final boss for the eventual winner? lol I don't really care I was just curious. Oh and for those in the know, yeah that skill hasn't gone anywhere.

Also I will be a +1 as I am bringing a friend with me.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Dposcorp

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:46 am

drfish, you are all kinds of awesome! You out do yourself every year in your hospitality, as did the Frobozz Clan in the early days, and we can never say thank you enough. :)

I think if anyone is on the fence about attending, they should really try to swing it.
We are gonna see if we can stay later this time, for the bonfire / raft adventure.

My work is such that it is difficult for me to be 100% confirmed every year, but I have only missed one of these; that includes attending one the day after my son was born, while he and my wife were still in the hospital. :)

Of course, it was closer then, but I still managed to make it with a few boxes of Cigars, normal, candy, bubble Gum.

Damage, what is the chance of recording some audio for a future pod cast? Some random thoughts, interviews, victory speech for the cornhole champ, etc...

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:56 am

Dposcorp wrote:
My work is such that it is difficult for me to be 100% confirmed every year, but I have only missed one of these; that includes attending one the day after my son was born, while he and my wife were still in the hospital. :)

Wow, that's dedication! And you even managed to stay married after that, eh? :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dposcorp

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:03 am

z-man wrote:
BTW - am I actually allow to compete in the tournament this year or am I again relegated to the final boss for the eventual winner? lol I don't really care I was just curious. Oh and for those in the know, yeah that skill hasn't gone anywhere.

How about we just give you a prize and you DON"T enter the tourney?
As someone who was humbled by your skill before, I don't think it would be fair. :)
(Not to mention, you usually beat the winner without even warming up)

A better idea would be to have you enter, but not be eligible for a prize, so that even if u win, the prizes get shuffled down. That would better, since you just might lose fairly. lol

Also, do we have any idea how many bean bag sets we are gonna have set up? I think we had 3 last year, but if the turn out is bigger, maybe 4 sets will move the tourney faster.
Just a thought. (p.s. Are you still making sets?)

just brew it! wrote:
Dposcorp wrote:

Wow, that's dedication! And you even managed to stay married after that, eh? :lol:

She was stuck in the hospital (C-section). She couldnt do anything to me at the time lol
(I paid for it later though :o

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:11 am

I agree with either of DPOSCORP's ideas in regards to Z-Man and the tourney.

I'm bringing my beanbag set as usual for what it's worth.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:49 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Wow that's insane! I love it!
Looks like it might be challenging to get it down to the water down all those steps. :o

Entweichen took last year's down to the beach himself without issue, but he's something of an abnormality, it was actually a double layer bag so it weighed about the same as this one even though it was shorter. Depending on how I roll/box it it shouldn't be too bad for two people. The trick is getting it back UP the stairs... Last year was a nightmare. The waves kicked up and it broke loose over night, probably floated about 1/8 of a mile north before washing up on shore. At this point it was half full of water and some sand too. Had to wait for the waves to be big enough to let me drag it back out into the water so I could tow it south (needed to float it, must have weighed thousands of pounds at that point), then when we got it on shore we attacked it with kitchen knives and carved/rolled it into manageable pieces to bring up the stairs in garbage bins. Being wet and sandy it easily weighed twice going up what it did coming down. :o It was a good two hours of effort for 4 people - but hopefully that doesn't happen this year. :wink:

z-man wrote:
hmmmm the name tag thing will be interesting. I think I am going to pass on that one for reasons that shall remain un-posted.

I shall be arriving Friday night as I need to drop off the food. Fish you mentioned that the plan is to have food ready a bit later. No issue with me but when are you thinking so I make sure I adjust accordingly.

Also I will be a +1 as I am bringing a friend with me.

I was simply going off your PM about ribs being ready around 2:00 based on a 6AM start. We usually meet closer to 5AM but that's not an option this year so 2:00 instead of 1:00 it is.

You are definitely in the tournament as a normal competitor - no boss battle status this year - with the loot we have to give out it just wouldn't be fair to do it any other way? Unless you just showed up and got your pick of the hardware and the 1st place trophy right away and it was up to someone to beat you to claim them for themselves. :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:52 am

drfish wrote:
The trick is getting it back UP the stairs... Last year was a nightmare.

A few armor-piercing potatos ought to do the trick. :wink:

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:53 am

It sure makes one hell of a target. :lol: Ideally it would not have to be destroyed and we can use it again next year. We'll see.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:07 pm

I must say that the National Weather Service is predicting a simply glorious day for Saturday: Sunny with a high of 73F and minimal humidity. Those from the heat-stricken Southern parts may need fleece and pants.

EDIT: Looks like I'll be driving through some snotty T-storms to get there. No matter, AWD and 4 new tires will have me there with no issues. Is Ohio still the speeding ticket capital it used to be?

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Nooooo! Someone mentioned the weather - we're doooomed! :o

...in all seriousness though, I was thinking the same thing. :D Hopefully the water temp stays nice (>70F).

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:43 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
Also, do we have any idea how many bean bag sets we are gonna have set up? I think we had 3 last year, but if the turn out is bigger, maybe 4 sets will move the tourney faster. Just a thought.

I will be bringing my "über customized z-man cornhole"©®™ set with me...

Also... Did z-man ever go up against the last years unexpected skilled winner, Andy? What was the outcome of that?

Dposcorp

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:00 pm

drfish wrote:
You are definitely in the tournament as a normal competitor - no boss battle status this year - with the loot we have to give out it just wouldn't be fair to do it any other way? Unless you just showed up and got your pick of the hardware and the 1st place trophy right away and it was up to someone to beat you to claim them for themselves. :lol:

I rather make you play thru the field as well, to be honest. A champion can not stay a champ on reputation alone. :)
Every now and then the old gunfighter has to be tested.
Besides, I wanna beat you so I can yell out "you called down the thunder, well now you've got it! " lol
Last edited by Dposcorp on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:03 pm

And I'm thinking that my years of pitching slow-pitch softball will have some effect on my results. If not, I'm bringing a Gravity Gun along with the potato gun.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:18 pm

Cool, I would love to actually play through it again. Of which I have no doubt that I will play through to the last match. ;)

I will forgo any winnings. As I don't really feel it is fair. Also I do have a set I can bring if another is desired.

Also for whomever asked I do still make them but being busy with other things and having some personal issues to wrap up I won't be able to until later this year or next.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:16 pm

My only thought is, don't pair me with someone else who sucks as bad as I do again! IIRC last year we held up the whole tournament.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.