Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Inkling
TR Staff

Re: TR BBQ ~IX~ Official Thread - August 11, 2012

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Looks like my elder brother will be coming up with Damage and me. He may be in touch with you, drfish, to see what else might be needed. However, our ride is going to be mighty full of hardware, t-shirts, mice, backpacks, and all manner of wonderment, so don't ask him to bring tables or lawn chairs. :wink:
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Wow... Just *NOW* discovered these cornhole scoreboards (with drink holders) today:

http://www.hammerheadbackyardgames.com/scoreboards.htm

If only I knew about this site earlier (could have ordered one in time I guess, maybe for next year TRBBQ X)...

Not cheap at all for $64.81 + $4.54 sales tax + $12.00 S&H = $81.35 --- I bet z-man could make the same exact thing for 50% of the cost! 8)

haha, and as for printing out cornhole brackets, this site has it down: http://www.printyourbrackets.com/cornholebrackets.html

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:42 pm

just brew it! wrote:
My only thought is, don't pair me with someone else who sucks as bad as I do again! IIRC last year we held up the whole tournament.

Yeah, my brother and I talked somewhat about the games last year; it seemed either a game went by fast or took forever.

If we did a NCAA type bracket, would that be something cool, or is that too unfair to the less experienced players?

Not to brag or anything :) , but if we did do that, I think my brother and I would be top seeds, since I lost to Andy in the semi final and Ben lost to him in the finals last year.
Andy would be the third top seed of course, as the current champ, and of course z-man gets the fourth top seed.

Based on experience, I would then seat Stiffie, the Mr. & Mrs. Froboz, and either gleek or drfish as 2nd seeds.

And so on and so on. Thoughts? I am almost positive drfish has a photo of how last years bracket ended if we want to go by that :)

I would also think z-man could fairly seat everyone as well and would be fine with that.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:18 am

Dposcorp wrote:
Thoughts? I am almost positive drfish has a photo of how last years bracket ended if we want to go by that :)

Photo? I bet the board is still in my basement and not erased yet! :o Also, I hardly think I'd be 2nd seed, I've only made it passed the 1st round a handful of times and maybe the 2nd round once. I'm up for whatever though. :)

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:30 am

Dposcorp wrote:
Thoughts? I am almost positive drfish has a photo of how last years bracket ended if we want to go by that :)

Indirectly, you already posted the link that shows last years bracket on page 5 of this thread...:

Dposcorp wrote:
Here is a pic of the type of table and chairs I bring. --- http://techreport.com/image.x/2011_8_8_ ... inners.jpg

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:34 am

Haha, nice catch. :)

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:32 am

Dposcorp wrote:
I would also think z-man could fairly seat everyone as well and would be fine with that.

Not really I wasn't there last year remember? I know, but I had my reasons.

Anyway, there are players I know nothing about. Hence why I am unqualified for the job.

Also I totally want to be a 16 seed. Why? Cause I want to upset a #1 in the first round!!! Just so I can say it has happened. ;) :D :D :lol: :lol:

I don't care really it will just be fun to play.

I also really need to do something about this handle. *sigh* :-?

FYI - I am providing Ribs, burgers & buns, hot dogs & buns, along with cheese and smores bars. Anything else, including condiments will have to be provided by others. So mustard, ketchup, tomatoes, onion, pickles, etc will have to be brought by someone else. In case someone needed an idea. :D
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Dposcorp

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:57 am

thegleek wrote:
Dposcorp wrote:

Indirectly, you already posted the link that shows last years bracket on page 5 of this thread...:

Dposcorp wrote:
Here is a pic of the type of table and chairs I bring. --- http://techreport.com/image.x/2011_8_8_ ... inners.jpg

drfish wrote:
Haha, nice catch. :)

Took you chumps long enough to notice. :
Why do you think I used that pic as a example of the table/chair stuff. lol

Gotta hand it to the champ though. I really was hoping my brother would avenge me in the end. :)

z-man wrote:
Dposcorp wrote:

Not really I wasn't there last year remember? I know, but I had my reasons.

Anyway, there are players I know nothing about. Hence why I am unqualified for the job.

Also I totally want to be a 16 seed. Why? Cause I want to upset a #1 in the first round!!! Just so I can say it has happened. ;) :D :D :lol: :lol:

I don't care really it will just be fun to play.

You have been to enough of the BBQs though to get a handle on how most of the regulars play, but I do see what you mean.
We can do it by committe though, since you, me, stiffie, my brother, gleek, frobozz and his wife could all pretty much agree on the seating.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:58 am

I'm bringing a large ketchup, a good sized mustard - and a 50 pack of assorted little bags of chips to clarify.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:01 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
I'm bringing a large ketchup, a good sized mustard - and a 50 pack of assorted little bags of chips to clarify.

a word of caution, the frobozz family will end up using >75% of that ketchup... :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:16 am

z-man wrote:

As in, your forum handle? I have the power to help you with that. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 am

just brew it! wrote:
As in, your forum handle? I have the power to help you with that. :wink:

I know it can be done, the question is to what. I just have to settle on something.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:17 pm

z-nom! ribs... *droooool*

i'll be driving from chi; is there anything along the way that would add value to the bbq, which i could bring?
Your ideas intrigue me; I would like to purchase stock in your company.

Dposcorp

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:47 pm

eitje wrote:
z-nom! ribs... *droooool*

i'll be driving from chi; is there anything along the way that would add value to the bbq, which i could bring?

drfish, do we have a list of items that are accounted for and items that are still needed?
I think we put that in the first post in times past, at least some years.

Update us if you can please.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:05 pm

eitje wrote:

Any beer from New Glarus - kthx

pcgeek86
Gerbil

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:15 pm

thegleek wrote:
eitje wrote:

Not sure I can get that in the Chicago area -- does Binnys have it?

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:31 pm

First post updated! Re-posted below:

Ok, a lot of ground to cover, lets start with supplies we still need:
A veggie platter or two
Burger toppings besides ketchup and mustard
Watermelon
Bonfire friendly foods (brats, more hot dogs/buns, etc)
~food roasting sticks~
Smores stuff
More drinks, soda and water

Other details:
TR BBQ Pre-party: Tomorrow 8/10/12 @ New Holland Brewing in downtown Holland - for anyone arriving on Friday night we can meet up early. My wife and I will be there at 7:30 and stay for about an hour, obviously you all can come as early and stay as late as you want. I'll be wearing a navy Tech Report shirt and a tan baseball cap with a fish on it. Txt me if you get there and can't find our table.

TR BBQ: The main event! Show up between noon and 1:00 - food around 2:00. Everything else will happen at some point, not even going to try to schedule it, but we'll start the cornhole tournament when everyone from the confirmed list has arrived.

TR BBQ After dark: Saturday after 9:00 down at the beach, we'll have a fire, more eats, and $350+ worth of fireworks!

TR BBQ Walk of Shame: Sunday morning 8/12/12 - for anyone that is staying at the cottage or in town and wants to come back for some reason (forgot your camera or lost keys on the beach, etc) - yard and beach cleanup and maybe some breakfast if anyone feels like cooking. We'll probably be there around 9:00.

Phew... This is gettin' real now! Shoes and I bought the fireworks a couple hours ago, its quite the haul! He'll post a picture soon. We even got 20 of those cool paper balloons to launch at some point after the crazy fireworks are all gone.

I'm seriously wondering how we are going to top this year's BBQ next year for the big 10 year event. This thing is just getting insane, I simply can't picture more loot, a bigger raft, a fancier fireworks display, tastier food, or mostly importantly better company than what is lined up this time. Its. Just. Crazy. :o

If there is any possibility at all that you can jump in your car and drive to Holland before Saturday I highly recommend you do so. :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Well, that was an interesting trip. No one told me that there was a football game in Buffalo tonight. I-90 through Buffalo was a parking lot & I don't know enough of the area to avoid it. Took me an hour just to get through Buffalo to scenic Erie, PA.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:33 pm

pcgeek86 wrote:
thegleek wrote:
eitje wrote:

Not sure I can get that in the Chicago area -- does Binnys have it?

Nope, gotta drive up to Wisconsin for that. Sorry gleek!

If anyone is coming past Sawyer MI tomorrow evening you could stop and get a growler of Greenbush beer though. I was planning to get one on my way, but I just checked their web site and they don't open until noon on Sat... :cry:

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Also, all the rooms in the cottage and bunkhouse are now spoken for. :o

This is my list of people staying on Saturday night:

Sheldomaus
eijte
z-man & friend
Gleek & Mrs. Gleek
Frobozz & Mrs. Frobozz

Let me know if I got anything wrong...

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:45 pm

drfish wrote:

No prob, my plan for this year is to come out in our mini-van (with the rear seats taken out), and crash in the back of the van. :D

(So I'm planning to spend the night, but obviously don't need a spot in the cottage/bunkhouse... just an overnight parking space!)

SHOES
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:48 am

Also unconfirmed we may get an additional $200+ worth which I just found out about :).. But hey even if we dont it shall be a hell of a show!!

BTW my trunk is HUGE so these are big :P

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:04 am

just brew it! wrote:
drfish wrote:

No prob, my plan for this year is to come out in our mini-van (with the rear seats taken out), and crash in the back of the van. :D

(So I'm planning to spend the night, but obviously don't need a spot in the cottage/bunkhouse... just an overnight parking space!)

That'll work. There may actually be one more bed open if 3 people don't mind being bunkhouse roomies.

Josh, err, Shoes - so looking forward to lighting those off. :D Also that Gyro was amazing! :o

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:28 am

Nothing is too trivial for a photograph and an update post!

Many lives were lost deflating the raft and preparing her for transport but she is ready for her maiden voyage. What should we name her?

Early morning Meijer run for supplies. I got us a fancy black foam board and metallic Sharpies for the bracket. :lol:

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:57 am

This is what happens when I take a day off...

Three words, no promises. Hatcam. TechSling. Livestream. 8)

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:23 am

z-man wrote:
FYI - I am providing Ribs, burgers & buns, hot dogs & buns, along with cheese and smores bars. Anything else, including condiments will have to be provided by others. So mustard, ketchup, tomatoes, onion, pickles, etc will have to be brought by someone else. In case someone needed an idea. :D

I have to adjust this. I did not have time to make smores bars. :(

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:52 pm

I think you'll be forgiven. :)

Couple updates, first of all assuming bandwidth isn't a huge problem I think Hatcam will be a big success. :o The LiveStream was kind of a flop last year, didn't work great and didn't really show much. I wanted to bring the camera closer to the action but it wasn't really manageable. I think this year will be different. Everyone has to help remind me not to wear it into the bathroom though! :oops: If we can avoid such an incident it could be a great thing - the closest thing to being at the BBQ yourself I'd guess. I'm happy to pass the hat around so to speak, as long as everyone has a clean head - guess we can always Lysol it. :P

Second, that water temp will likely be taking a huge dive because of the expected wind change and the waves are supposed to be a little crazy tomorrow too. That might spell doom for the raft so at this point I'm the fence about wasting all the effort of building it and setting it up/taking it down if it will only get used a little/be destroyed right away. We'll see - part of me wants to be riding it as all the giant waves are passing underneath. Its just to early to tell. Otherwise the weather looks like it will be fantastic. :D

Inkling
TR Staff

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Driving east on I-72 just outside of Decatur, IL...
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Yeah, I was wondering how the lake would be over there tomorrow. Beaches in the Chicago area are closed today due to 10+ foot waves and dangerous rip currents. :o

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, I was wondering how the lake would be over there tomorrow. Beaches in the Chicago area are closed today due to 10+ foot waves and dangerous rip currents. :o

NWS says it'll be windy with possible early AM showers that'll clear out before the party. North/northwest winds will pile water on the beaches leading to possible rips.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.