Online Storage Shared/Secure Access

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Online Storage Shared/Secure Access

Postposted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:12 pm

I am a member of a strata (condominium owners) and we would like to provide PDF documents online for people to view. There are a lot of options out there and I'm trying to think out of the box for something that would suit. Suggestions would be appreciated.

There are all types of paid services but if you start with something like SharePoint things start to get too complicated for the average person to maintain and cost quickly ramp up to hundreds of dollars per year. Adobe offers a storage site but if you want to organize items into folders then you have to pay for the premium service which offers collaboration, online meetings, etc which we don't want to pay for.

So I'm looking for something where we can organize, share and protect the documents very easily, where you don't need a computer expert to keep it running and costs under $100 per year.

- organize documents into folders with descriptions if possible
- share with login access (don't want to maintain multiple IDs, something simple just so it is not open to the public)
- simple to administer (update/add/remove documents/change password for general access)
- low cost
- preferably a professional looking site (e.g. something not plastered with google ads)

Thanks
GTVic
Gerbil

Re: Online Storage Shared/Secure Access

Postposted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Google Apps might work.

Steps would be:
) Register a domain for the condo complex
) Sign up for the free version of Google Apps
) Create an admin type user for you and then an "everyone else" user (if you want to go the shared account route)
) Use Google Docs to share with everyone, PDFs are supported

The free version of Google Apps has a 10 user limit, so depending on how many units/people you have you could give everyone separate logins.

Your only yearly fee would be the domain registration.
Turd-Monkey
Gerbil In Training
Gold subscriber

Re: Online Storage Shared/Secure Access

Postposted on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks, I will check that out. Google has the advantage of being fairly stable.

I found a site called http://www.MyOtherDrive.com which gives you sharing abilities at a fairly low rate $55/yr. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2344114,00.asp gave them an average review in 2009, but they seem to have addressed some of the missing features plus of the backup sites that the article talks about, only this one has sharing features. Apparently these sites go out of business fairly regularly in tough times but this site is still running 2 years later so...
GTVic
Gerbil

Return to The Back Porch