First, I am just going to state what we've discovered without adding any prejudicial opinion to it, so let's try and keep this out of R & P
Second, I am not a lawyer. I don't even look like a lawyer. This is all the result of guesswork.
Ok, let's recap what we know about the fact pattern here:
1) In December 2011 JBI (IL resident) could order rosewill keyboards from Newegg
2) In 2012, JBI cannot order Rosewill keyboards from Newegg, as they won't ship to IL. No explanation is given.
3) This appears to be specifically an issue with keyboards, Rosewill and Newegg, as other Keyboards are available on Newegg and people can order/buy Rosewill keyboards within the state of IL.
4) As JBI noticed, Rosewill is special in that it is a Newegg brand. As such, Newegg is effectively the "manufacturer" of Rosewill products. evidence
5) On 1/1/2012, a law took effect in Illinois that makes "electronic keyboards" prohibited e-waste. It specifically applies to the manufacturers of such devices.
Our supposition is that these things are all interrelated.
I called a number for Newegg's legal department yesterday, fail to talk to anyone, and I'm unsure how successful I'll be if I try again. The unfortunate side-effect of people going nuclear over RMA issues is that it's likely difficult to just get a hold of whoever can answer the question.