My farewell to extreme PCs

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: My farewell to extreme PCs

Postposted on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Welch wrote:For your current Windows XP machine, I'd make an image of it with Acronis 10, then convert the Acronis image over to VMWare (built in feature with Acronis 10 or 11) and then just use the free VMWare Player on your workstation, problem solved. The player even has USB host support so moving things between your host computer and your VM XP (your current install) should be fairly easy/seamless. You'll just have to tell that Windows XP system to reactivate windows, not an issue.

Great, as I already have True Image 2010.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:33 pm

Buzzard44 wrote:I have a pretty good system worked out. I have a friend who stays cutting edge, and he sells me his old stuff for dirt cheap. I got a GTX 460 five months ago for $60. Two and a half years ago, I paid him $400 for the box in my sig, except with a 9800GTX+ instead of the 460. Thus, I stay pretty well along the curve for next to nothing.

Thus, my advice is to make a friend who stays cutting edge and get their hand-me-downs.

Totally living up to your forum handle, raiding the corpses of these machines and all. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:09 am

Anyone else annoyed with MAC OS LION. Recently upgraded to a Macbook Pro with LION only to find out it doesn't support power pc apps anymore. Now I have to pay big bucks to upgrade my software. Should have kept my old system with SNOW.
lvuman
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Nope, I don't have to worry about the bad apples :P.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:38 pm

Welch wrote:Nope, I don't have to worry about the bad apples :P.

I hope you wrote that because you realized his signature is link spam.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:07 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Welch wrote:Nope, I don't have to worry about the bad apples :P.

I hope you wrote that because you realized his signature is link spam.

Doesn't fit the usual pattern and final warning PM has yet to be received. May be spammer in the end, but could still correct his/her errors.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:20 pm

I myself have felt this feeling. Everyone else on this forum will know it for sure and its the fact that most games are now console ported and that cutting edge graphical factor is gone, that was the thing that used to keep me going as well. The rate of advance in the early to mid 2000's was amazing and there really was a point of upgrading to the next gen when you saw the advent of the Source engine with HDR, Rainbow Six, Crysis 1 etc.

I can remember I had a 7300GT circa 2006/7 and even though Rainbow Six was a console port utilising the UT3 engine, it looked amazing and ran at around 10fps on my rig. Being 15 at the time and only having 300 in my bank account, without a thought and the most random of impulses, I went out and snagged a X1900XTX at the time off ebay for 300, everything in my bank account. After I did it, was like wtf did I just do, but it was a beast of a card and I loved being able to play Rainbow and Crysis at 20-30 fps for one (me being out of the know, didn't realise my single core was a massive hindrance).

But yeah, that general feeling is gone and I understand what the OP is saying, hopefully with the advent of the next gen consoles, it shall arise once again.

And I myself have found joy in peripherals now, ie keyboards, speakers, headphones, monitors, sound systems, etc
i5 2500k 4.5ghz
460 gtx
8gb ddr3
msi p67a-c43
x-fi xtremegamer
Samsung 830 128gb SSD
creative t20/z53000 fusion sound system 5.1
aurnob
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Oh so true aurnob.... come to think of it, some of us may feel like that (not saying I do 100% yet) because the games themselves just aren't what they used to be. I mean ya the hardware advances were so quick and amazing, but so were the software! Games like Call of Duty (original) and HL2 were mind blowing for their graphics and features like you said, the birth of HDR (ohhh yea, lost coast :D). Those huge advancements in graphics just aren't quite there, I guess we have gotten bored with the current generation of games and what they bring to the table. I mean the games look "Good enough" that I don't think too many game developers are truly stepping up and going outside of the box on engine or rendering designs, not in the same leaps and bounds of yesteryear anyhow.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forums Aurnob :)
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|250gb Evo 840|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Logitech G5|Dell 2420L|Corsair Vengeance 1300
Welch
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks for the welcome, long time reader of TR, this topic hit home with me so I had to post
i5 2500k 4.5ghz
460 gtx
8gb ddr3
msi p67a-c43
x-fi xtremegamer
Samsung 830 128gb SSD
creative t20/z53000 fusion sound system 5.1
aurnob
Gerbil In Training

Previous

Return to The Back Porch