Integrating f^2 over a square?

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Integrating f^2 over a square?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:09 am

Hi guys,

This is gonna sound really stupid, but I was wondering how you integrate a function g = ( f(x,y) )^2 over a square region.

Fundamental theorem of calculus says that, if F is the antiderivative of f, integrating f(x,y) over the region = (FA)e - (FA)w
where (FA)e refers to the value of F along the eastern side of the square multiplied by A, the length of the east side of the square.

What would the answer be for integrating g(x,y) in terms of F?

Thank you!
GACKT ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Dual nehalem Xeon e5520 / 16 GB DDR3 / GTX 280
mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Integrating f^2 over a square?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:11 am

Sounds like a job for Convolution...
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: Integrating f^2 over a square?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:32 am

You're more likely to get an answer from other people doing your course or your teacher/supervisor. They can also explain it instead of just stating an answer.
Game_boy
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:46 am

Re: Integrating f^2 over a square?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:34 am

Game_boy wrote:You're more likely to get an answer from other people doing your course or your teacher/supervisor. They can also explain it instead of just stating an answer.



This isn't homework, thanks for assuming.
GACKT ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Dual nehalem Xeon e5520 / 16 GB DDR3 / GTX 280
mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Integrating f^2 over a square?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:57 am

mph_Ragnarok wrote:
Game_boy wrote:You're more likely to get an answer from other people doing your course or your teacher/supervisor. They can also explain it instead of just stating an answer.



This isn't homework, thanks for assuming.


And this or this or this or this isn't homework either? You're at a university and you know no one that might be able to help with this?
Last edited by Game_boy on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Game_boy
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:46 am

Re: Integrating f^2 over a square?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:07 am

Game_boy wrote:And this or this or this or this isn't homework either? You're at a university and you know no one that might be able to help with this?

Some of your links with goofy URLs got me logged out of TR. :lol: Probably the trweb7 link or the one with the IP address.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21144
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: Integrating f^2 over a square?

Postposted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:12 am

You're right, it does sound really stupid. :roll:
BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:59 pm


Return to The Back Porch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests