Dark Lord Day 2012

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Dark Lord Day 2012

Postposted on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:24 pm

http://www.darklordday.com/

WOO HOO! For the first time EVER in my life, I obtained tickets to attend this mass-craziness! Seems like the tickets sold out in minutes. This is what success looks like:

Anyone else going?
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Re: Dark Lord Day 2012

Postposted on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:47 pm

I've never been to Dark Lord Day, but I will say that Three Floyds in general is an absolute zoo unless you go at an off time. Our homebrew club had (theoretically) scheduled them as a stop on our bus crawl a couple of months back, and had (or so we thought) made prior arrangements with them, but when we got there we discovered that there was close to a 2 hour wait just to get in the door. This was 1:00PM-ish on a Saturday afternoon. Since waiting in line for 2 hours out in the parking lot in freezing temperatures wasn't our idea of a good time (and hey, we had a serious SCHEDULE to keep to! :lol:), we sent some people in to buy a couple of cases (Zombie Dust and Gumball Head), some growlers (Arctic Panzer Wolf and I forget what the other ones were...), and had a party on the bus on the way to the next stop.

Flossmoor Station was a complete 180 from Floyds -- when we got there, they had reserved a private room for us, and treated us really well (the beer and food was excellent too). But then, Flossmoor doesn't have the notoriety of Floyds...
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:19 pm

Man, seeing the thread title got me all hyped up. I thought we Satan worshipers finally had a holiday to call our own... Then I saw it was about beer.

...Darn it.
Dell XPS 8100 - Core i7 860 - 8GB DDR3-1333 - Gigabyte HD 7850 - 1.5TB 7200rpm HDD - Acer 20" LED monitor (1600*900) - 350W PSU
ultima_trev
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:26 pm

I'd say the odds of any random BP thread being about beer (or eventually coming around to beer...) are pretty good. Satan not so much. :lol:
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:01 pm

I was anticipating LoTR crazies.
Yeats
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Yeats wrote:I was anticipating LoTR crazies.

...and all you got was beer geeks? I can see how that could've been a bit of a letdown. :lol:
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:32 pm

I assumed it was Star Wars geeks who had figured out, from semi-canonical sources, Darth Vader's birthday. I mean, we just had Pi Day, why not go all in?
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:09 am

just brew it! wrote:I'd say the odds of any random BP thread being about beer (or eventually coming around to beer...) are pretty good. Satan not so much. :lol:

We need to rewrite that as a probability theorem where given any thread where the OP is not beer or cars, the probability of reaching beer in "n" posts is defined as

p(beer) = n * [ 1 - p(cars) ] / p(cars)

...or something along those lines.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:58 pm

just brew it! wrote:I've never been to Dark Lord Day, but I will say that Three Floyds in general is an absolute zoo unless you go at an off time. Our homebrew club had (theoretically) scheduled them as a stop on our bus crawl a couple of months back, and had (or so we thought) made prior arrangements with them, but when we got there we discovered that there was close to a 2 hour wait just to get in the door. This was 1:00PM-ish on a Saturday afternoon.

Oh boy. So you're saying that on April 28th, 2012 from 1-3pm this day will be an absolute crowd massacre? 1-3pm slot is B group. The A group is 10a-12noon, and C group is 5-7pm.

Since this is my first time going (never even been to 3 Floyd's for any occasion), I'm assuming it's -CLOSED- to the general public, right? All these ticket holders attending that Saturday will be more then enough chaos for their establishment to handle. As a ticket holder, I think you are guaranteed 1-3 750ml bottles of Dark Lord (have to purchase them still). I'll have to search around to see if any F.A.Q. exists for this event.
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:58 pm

I don't know whether they are closed to the general public for Dark Lord Day.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:58 am

3 Floyds will be closed to the public on Darklord day. Only people with tickets will be allowed on property. But this will be like 6k people. It will be a 97%+ outside event, so dress appropriately. If you don't show up before 10 am you will have to walk miles from your car or pay one of the local business for parking. The party (AKA Line) is a blast so bring beer and be prepared to start drinking at 10am or earlier. If they run it like they ran their 15th anniversary party they let everyone with a ticket in at 10 am but you can only buy the beer during your ticket's session time. Bring cash to buy the beer.

Overall it is a blast but it is a zoo. DO NOT expect to show up at 1pm and walk in to get your beer you will be disappointed.

Also JBI, considering Flossmore Station is basically a glorified Rock Bottom now that they lost their head brewer and will no longer be making any of there actually good beers (BA HiFi) its no surprise they had room ha. Also 3 Floyds brewpub is strait up tiny.
w00tstock
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:06 am

w00tstock wrote:1. 3 Floyds will be closed to the public on Darklord day.
2. Only people with tickets will be allowed on property. But this will be like 6k people.
3. It will be a 97%+ outside event, so dress appropriately.
4. If you don't show up before 10 am you will have to walk miles from your car or pay one of the local business for parking.
5. The party (AKA Line) is a blast so bring beer and be prepared to start drinking at 10am or earlier.
6. If they run it like they ran their 15th anniversary party they let everyone with a ticket in at 10 am but you can only buy the beer during your ticket's session time.
7. Bring cash to buy the beer.
8. Overall it is a blast but it is a zoo. DO NOT expect to show up at 1pm and walk in to get your beer you will be disappointed.

Awesome pro-tips man! Definitely advice I'll be taking with me!
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to The Back Porch