Why do most women not care about HD

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:32 am

Has anyone else noticed that he majority of women do not give a crap if they watch there stupid shows in SD when its available in HD?
I am constantly putting the hd channel on for them and pointing out how much better it looks but they do not seem to care.
And by stupid shows i mean house wives of whatever and so on,I can be asleep for 30 minutes and if my wife put one of those shows on with those rich women arguing and yelling at each other it wakes me up instantly....and thats with me snoring:)Wife still asks how do you know.
My answer is simple how can any man sleep with women arguing in my dreams.
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1114
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:57 am

Well these shows are so stupid that you don't need better video. Imho sending that BS in HD is just a glorious waste of bandwidth. And watching them kills your brain cells. Get your poor wife another hobby!
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
Ifalna
Gerbil
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:14 am
Location: Celestis

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:08 am

vargis14 wrote:Has anyone else noticed that he majority of women do not give a crap if they watch there stupid shows in SD when its available in HD?
I am constantly putting the hd channel on for them and pointing out how much better it looks but they do not seem to care.
And by stupid shows i mean house wives of whatever and so on,I can be asleep for 30 minutes and if my wife put one of those shows on with those rich women arguing and yelling at each other it wakes me up instantly....and thats with me snoring:)Wife still asks how do you know.
My answer is simple how can any man sleep with women arguing in my dreams.



I don't think it's limited just to women. If the content is interesting to the viewer he will try to watch it any way he can.

The problem you face is rather that she likes and watches shows that you don't find intesting. But hey, what the [f] do i know?
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:50 am

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:37 am

Arclight wrote:The problem you face is rather that she likes and watches shows that you don't find intesting. But hey, what the [f] do i know?

Which means I can crank the Netflix data rate to its bare minimum so as not to run into the Comcast cap.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20117
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:06 am

Man this thread is just full of fail.

My wife likes HD, but it has more to do with the shape of the image than the clarity, though she doesn't mind stretching 4:3 content. That also makes me bonkers.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21259
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:08 am

Why do some nerds insist on gender stereotyping? :roll:
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:24 am

bthylafh wrote:Why do some nerds insist on gender stereotyping? :roll:


Probably for the same reason that some gender insists on nerd stereotyping. ;)
Yeats
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:58 am

She probably cares, she just doesn't know it. Let her watch one episode in HD and then, immediately after, the next episode in SD. :D
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive
FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3483
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:04 pm
Location: Borås, Sweden

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:03 am

... and why do most men care about HD?
Anarchist
Gerbil
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:12 am

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:17 am

Why do people have HD, then watch Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu on it? So they can better see the compression artifacts?
liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2447
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 10:49 am
Location: New York

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 am

I just can't see paying extra for HD. Also, my TV is too old to properly support it. I guess my nerd score is lower as a result. I appreciate watching HD sports at friend's houses, but that's about it.
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
 
Posts: 12822
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:51 pm
Location: Streamwood, IL

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:22 am

liquidsquid wrote:Why do people have HD, then watch Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu on it? So they can better see the compression artifacts?

Because the 100+ hours of HD content on the TiVo aren't what they want to watch right now.

Nothing irks me more than to come downstairs and find the TV on Netflix instead of chewing through their TiVo backlog. Don't even ask what happens when the TiVo wants both tuners to record something that won't be watched for 6 months or so.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20117
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:26 am

Anarchist wrote:... and why do most men care about HD?


My guess is the most people don't. Either you have some kind of interest and knowledge, from which perspective you will probably always care that the image could be so much better. Or you don't, and you just take it for what it is...
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive
FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3483
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:04 pm
Location: Borås, Sweden

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:57 am

Every time I go to my mom's house she is watching channel 8. I explain to her that channel 808 has the same shows but in HD. It just never penetrates her brain or something because she still just watches channel 8. She has a nice new 46" Sony lcd tv.

I shouldn't care one way or another, but I do. It's much like that feeling when I watch people Google "www.website.com" instead of just typing it into the address bar. GGGGAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1867
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:03 am

From my experience, I know about 3-6 people who'd care about it when the option's available. I don't think it's a women thing.
C-A_99
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:11 am

FubbHead wrote:
Anarchist wrote:... and why do most men care about HD?


My guess is the most people don't. Either you have some kind of interest and knowledge, from which perspective you will probably always care that the image could be so much better. Or you don't, and you just take it for what it is...


Among the people I know, it's about 50/50. I think many people care more about the TV being large and thin than about the actual image quality.
Yeats
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:21 am

I don't feel I am stereotypi g ,in my exspereince I have yet to see a male watch a tv show in Sd when he knows it's running simultaneously in hd. As for the women and girls I know it seems the sound is
More interesting then a pretty picture to them and they just don't care. Well at least I am not forced to watch it thank goodness I thInk I would shoot the tv after prolonged exsposure:)
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1114
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:30 am

Yeats wrote:I think many people care more about the TV being large and thin than about the actual image quality.


Isn't it much more important to have a large screen than an HD picture? I would rather watch a SD movie on a projector than 4K-HD movie on a 24" screen. That having been said, image quality is a nice thing to have. I prefer to watch movies on Blu-Ray if possible.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Sapphire Radeon 6950
TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:36 am

liquidsquid wrote:Why do people have HD, then watch Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu on it? So they can better see the compression artifacts?

I only have a 720p TV, so my experience may be different, but if everything is working correctly, there are WAY less compression artifacts via Netflix than my Comcast "HD" service. Netflix is so much clearer than the TV shows.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21259
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 am

Best thing I remember reading in the Calvin & Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book was Watterson's comment that good writing will save mediocre art more often than good art will save mediocre writing, but if a deadline forced him to run with a sub-par script, he would go for broke on the illustration. Similarly, there's a reason xkcd has a global fan base, and it isn't the stunning artistic quality of Randall Munroe's stick figures.

Shorter: if the TV show is worth watching, it's worth watching because it piques your interest. Sure, HD, 3D, sixty inches, and all of the other stuff is a nice value-add; and since I'm an A/V nerd, if I'm part of the audience then I'm going to flip on the stereo system and check for the correct output resolution and zoom to the correct aspect ratio. But otherwise, if someone else is trying to do their version of relaxing and doesn't find enough value-add to go looking for those features, stop bothering them during their show.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5410
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:47 am

Yeah, I don't think it's a woman thing. If anything it's just more of a habit thing. I think I find my mom watching the HD more than my dad.

I finally got my parents to default their choices to the HD channels at their house. Instead of 12, my dad now watches 2012!
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:23 am

The channels that would truly be even better "experience"-wise would be sports games. Makes you see a punch, a touchdown, a homerun, a buzzer-beater 3pointer, a long-range goal, a superb rally, a hole-in-one, etc. even better.
P67A-GD65 (B3), i7, GTX 570 (GT 630 temp. card), 8GB RAM, 1TB + 500GB, FSP 700W PSU
entropy13
Gerbil
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:38 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Yeats wrote:I think many people care more about the TV being large and thin than about the actual image quality.


Isn't it much more important to have a large screen than an HD picture? I would rather watch a SD movie on a projector than 4K-HD movie on a 24" screen. That having been said, image quality is a nice thing to have. I prefer to watch movies on Blu-Ray if possible.


That's kind of extreme, you are comparing very large vs very small. A more appropriate comparison would be would you rather watch a 4k HD movie on a 52" LCD or SD on a projector?

I'm perfectly fine with a good DVD on my Oppo player, my TV is only 32".
Yeats
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:03 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
liquidsquid wrote:Why do people have HD, then watch Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu on it? So they can better see the compression artifacts?

I only have a 720p TV, so my experience may be different, but if everything is working correctly, there are WAY less compression artifacts via Netflix than my Comcast "HD" service. Netflix is so much clearer than the TV shows.

It probably depends on the ISP, I know with my small-town wireless ISP (who is likely doing little-to-no network management) Netflix in it's top HD mode is pretty clear and devoid of artifacts on my 1080p TV. A year ago when I lived in town the "HD" cable was horrifically overcompressed.
Desktop: FX-8350 | 32 GB | XFX Radeon 6950 | Windows 7 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 8.1.1.1.1 x64
SuperSpy
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1549
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:34 pm
Location: TR Forums

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Yeats wrote:
TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Yeats wrote:I think many people care more about the TV being large and thin than about the actual image quality.


Isn't it much more important to have a large screen than an HD picture? I would rather watch a SD movie on a projector than 4K-HD movie on a 24" screen. That having been said, image quality is a nice thing to have. I prefer to watch movies on Blu-Ray if possible.


That's kind of extreme, you are comparing very large vs very small. A more appropriate comparison would be would you rather watch a 4k HD movie on a 52" LCD or SD on a projector?

I'm perfectly fine with a good DVD on my Oppo player, my TV is only 32".


It's true in general though. I watched a movie in 1080P at a friend's house on his 40-something inch television and found it not to be a good viewing experience because I'm used to an 8-foot screen at home.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Sapphire Radeon 6950
TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:44 pm

My wife couldn't even tell the difference between stretched NTSC and 720p. I was dumbfounded. Then hockey season rolled around and her beloved Red Wings were on in both formats, so when I switched the game to HD she went "oooooohhhhh.....". HD ever since. Hockey really sucks in low-def.

Me, if it's between a massive Baywatch wardrobe malfunction on in low-def and a blue baboon ass on in HD, I'll be watching the baboon. The real one.
This problem was caused by Windows, which was created by Microsoft Corporation.
sluggo
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1539
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: under the table and dreaming

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:04 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:It's true in general though. I watched a movie in 1080P at a friend's house on his 40-something inch television and found it not to be a good viewing experience because I'm used to an 8-foot screen at home.


8)
Yeats
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:07 pm

sluggo wrote:Hockey really sucks in low-def.


I think the NHL really missed the boat in the USA with not being HD-ready early on. I'm only a casual fan, but I've heard for years that the games are great in person, but suck on TV because it's hard to follow the damn puck in SD. As soon as HD got decent consumer market acceptance, the NHL should have been there with mega HD cams at every game.
Yeats
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:54 pm

I think the problem with hockey went beyond definition. The puck is small. You're right that made it easy to lose in SD. However, the puck also moves fast through most of the game. Early HD sets, LCD's in particular, tended to have lots of pixel and lag, so the puck almost disappeared. Combined with the fact that it often is obscured by a player or the near edge of the rink, and the game did not work on older tv's. I will say this, though: Sluggo's wife is right -- Go Wings!
Cuhulin
Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:52 pm
Location: Meridian, Idaho

Re: Why do most women not care about HD

Postposted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Cuhulin wrote:I think the problem with hockey went beyond definition. The puck is small. You're right that made it easy to lose in SD. However, the puck also moves fast through most of the game. Early HD sets, LCD's in particular, tended to have lots of pixel and lag, so the puck almost disappeared. Combined with the fact that it often is obscured by a player or the near edge of the rink, and the game did not work on older tv's. I will say this, though: Sluggo's wife is right -- Go Wings!

That's why they had that experiment with the blue and red streaks. Great comedy material for Canadian outlets on how non-Canadians can't follow the puck/action. :lol:

What happened to that experiment?
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24293
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Next

Return to The Back Porch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests