Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: What's a TechSling?

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:19 am

Would a TS v1 manage an 11" MBA? Mine won't quite fit my Nexus 10 without more pushing and stretching than I'm comfortable with.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:21 am

For an 11.6" MBA you would need an X11 size TechSling. We talked about but never made a 13" version in production. Personally I find myself carrying smaller gear so I can wear a smaller TechSling. Right now I wear a TS Sport Mini with a prototype phone/accessory side also done in the Sport style with the spacer fabric. My normal load out is below...

Lenovo Miix2 (in a Fintie Smart Shell case)
Kindle PaperWhite
Anker 2nd Gen Astro E3 (10,000mAh battery)
Lumia 920
Flat micro USB Cable
HP Slim Bluetooth Mouse

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:03 am

Well, there didn't end up being much of a build log for this, more of a before and after but the good news is that it works perfectly and there are only a couple changes I would make for v2.0

90º USB comes out of the bottom of the phone pocket, I intended it for the back but this worked out well enough.

Inside the phone pocket under normal use you can barely even see anything is different.

If you open the flap though you will see the neon ESD fabic I have covering the the Qi "puck" - part of the reason this isn't likely to become a real offering is because I don't have the tools to do a proper validation of how long the electronics will survive being used like this.

Short story is that it works great though, just slip your phone in and it starts charging. I'm considering getting a smaller battery that will hide all the way in the [lower] pocket so I can keep the wires tidy (will post pictures with the battery and phone installed later if anyone cares).

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:40 am

Please do share. I'm running with my Bag of Holding more than my 'sling these days, as I'm less mobile and more loaded down, but I have found the mods inspiring. I'm looking into a new phone soon, and I think I'll prioritize wireless charging so that I can do a similar mod on my BoH.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Not a lot to digest here but this is what it looks like all loaded up. The charger I got has a tiny green LED on it that is on all the time, I need to find out how much it drains my pack but for now it's easy enough just to disconnect it until I know I need to use the system. The battery needs a button to turn it on anyway.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:54 pm

I would guess that it's well under 1W, most generic non-flashlight LEDs I've run into are 200mW or less. It's probably not a noteworthy drain, but any drain for no use is too much.

BerserkBen
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:50 pm

My nephew went to CES and came back with this:

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:33 am

Haha! Yes, this was the 3rd year in a row they were there. :) They get a lot of great feedback from CES.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:45 pm

Just noticed that PC Mag did a TechSling review. :lol: It's actually pretty complimentary but leaves out that there are different sizes to choose from and obviously the author just felt too awkward/dorky wearing it even though he said it was comfortable. Oh well.