Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Onion shake anyone?

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:12 pm

Am I the only one here forcing myself to drink a whole onion's worth of watershake?

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Onion shake anyone?

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Bleah! I hope so.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Why?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Trying to recover my bone density. Aged 31. Addicted to fastfood. Almost injured my spine a while back coz it got too weak. Started self treatment with onion shake, vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, beta carotene and vitamin C. Got better in two months. But after around two months of careless junk food eating, here I am again.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Seems like there's gotta be a better way to get whatever nutrients it is you're lacking than by drinking onion shakes.

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:35 pm

How do onions help?
Trump 2020

boing
Gerbil XP

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:37 pm

May I be frank and propose that getting professional aid for your addiction is a better first step? You can eat and drink onions for as much as you like, though if you go back to eating that destructive diet of yours, its all for nothing.

CasbahBoy
Gerbil

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Yeah, there is no such thing as a temporary diet. If you don't make permanent healthy changes, you might as well not make any changes at all.
"We demand rigidly defined values of doubt and uncertainty!"

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:57 pm

Onions inhibit the activity of osteoclasts (bone cells that dissolve bone tissue). What happened was that I tried to lose weight by consuming proteins and reducing carbohydrates in my diet. Those proteins happened to be primarily chicken meat. What I didnt know was that protein makes the stomach acidic and to counter that acidity, the body takes out calcium from the bones. Fast foods also burn through the body's phosphorous reserves (which also happens to be concentrated in the bones). So being the ignoramus that I was, I almost ended up destroying my bones. Thank God, I found out the reason in time otherwise I could actually feel my spine would snap any second!

Anyhow, now I am stuck in a vicious loop. Though I have improved a lot in terms of my eating habits, it still wasnt enough to prevent bone loss again (yes, chicken again! ARRGGHH!!!). So this time, I am seriously considering a diet plan that strikes a balance between bone loss and bone growth. But first, I have to spend at least two months trying to undo the damage I have already done :(

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:15 pm

Yes.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm assuming a doctor or dietician has been involved somewhere in this?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:58 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I'm assuming a doctor or dietician has been involved somewhere in this?

I think you're being a bit optimistic.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Indeed. Perhaps he assumes too much.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Onions inhibit the activity of osteoclasts (bone cells that dissolve bone tissue). What happened was that I tried to lose weight by consuming proteins and reducing carbohydrates in my diet. Those proteins happened to be primarily chicken meat. What I didnt know was that protein makes the stomach acidic and to counter that acidity, the body takes out calcium from the bones. Fast foods also burn through the body's phosphorous reserves (which also happens to be concentrated in the bones). So being the ignoramus that I was, I almost ended up destroying my bones. Thank God, I found out the reason in time otherwise I could actually feel my spine would snap any second!

Anyhow, now I am stuck in a vicious loop. Though I have improved a lot in terms of my eating habits, it still wasnt enough to prevent bone loss again (yes, chicken again! ARRGGHH!!!). So this time, I am seriously considering a diet plan that strikes a balance between bone loss and bone growth. But first, I have to spend at least two months trying to undo the damage I have already done :(

I thought that the acidic chyme from the stomach is neutralized by sodium bicarbonate from the gall bladder. I'd think that calcium loss would be from your high sodium intake.

And the atkins diet is terrible for your body. The concept is nice until you realize your body is burning ketone bodies instead of clean-burning glucose. Did you happen to notice your breath smelling like ammonia?
Trump 2020

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:13 am

Well, you are right in a way. Sodium bicarbonate in the pancreatic juice is supposed to neutralize the acid so something must have disturbed that function of the pancreas in my body. Not sure about the ammonia smell.

Apart from the onion shakes, I am also consuming a lot of xylitol chewing gum these days. Supposed to starve bacteria in the oral cavity. Anybody have experience with that?

Hotdog
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:22 am

Do you suffer from any diagnosed mental illnesses?
I love you, Peter Roth.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 am

Fad diets never work beyond a few months, and they can end up destroying your body. Just like atkins and all their ilk, it makes your body run in a way it was not designed to do. It will work for a short while but you end up with a lot more issues and you gain back the weight you lost when you go back to normal eating. Just eat a healthy well rounded diet and don't sit on your butt all day, and be sure to avoid fast food as a lifestyle.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:26 am

Atkins isn't *that* horrible for you. It's not what I'd choose, but when I was looking into diets, what I saw there wasn't bad. The first month and a half or something like that was pretty restricted, but after that was it amounted to was getting carbs from fruits and veggies more than breads and pasta, which is basically what I've wound up doing (but for different reasons--namely that breads and pastas have a crapton of calories and don't keep me full at all).
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:39 am

Starfalcon wrote:
Fad diets never work beyond a few months, and they can end up destroying your body. Just like atkins and all their ilk, it makes your body run in a way it was not designed to do. It will work for a short while but you end up with a lot more issues and you gain back the weight you lost when you go back to normal eating. Just eat a healthy well rounded diet and don't sit on your butt all day, and be sure to avoid fast food as a lifestyle.

This. Stop eating fast food so often. Pack your own deli-style sandwich, you'll also save a lot of money this way. My weekly budget for food is ~$30.
The only way to lose weight, and reduce the chance of heart disease, is through your sweat. Take up biking or something.
Trump 2020

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:13 pm

How the crap do you eat for 30 bucks a week? I spend that on seasonal fruits and veggies most weeks. Our grocery bill for 2 people is like 100-120/week.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:37 pm

What did I just read?

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:56 pm

u need to eat a healthy well rounded diet, some fruit / vege and some meat is good, have some milk for extra calcium to help your bones. take multivitamins each day. If you eat well consistently enough your body will naturally heal whatever bone issues you had, there's no point in trying to work around the rules by taking crazy concoctions.

Just give your body some good, fresh nutritional foods, not too much salt and fat, your body will do the rest for you.

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:06 pm

I've taken some nasty workout shakes but this sounds disgusting. Avoid the fast food as actual meals as well, you're not doing your body any favors. Keep a well balanced diet and take specific vitamins for what your body may be lacking naturally to compensate for. More is not always going to be better so don't waste your money by pissing out the excess.

paulWTAMU wrote:
How the crap do you eat for 30 bucks a week? I spend that on seasonal fruits and veggies most weeks. Our grocery bill for 2 people is like 100-120/week.

Being in college that is my budget most weeks. It's no fun but using coupons, buying what I need and having a list has made it possible. But I do miss the dorm food...
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:06 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:

I'll keep my receipt next week ;D
But it goes something like:
2 Loaves of bread = $3-$4 depending on if there's a coupon that week.
2 pounds deli meat = ~$8
1 bag of salad to add to the sandwich = $2
Half gallon soy milk = $2.50
Pizza = $3
2 half gallons of tea = $2

These alternate on a weekly basis, depending on need:
Condiments for the sandwich = ~$5
3 Boxes o cereal = $5 with coupon
1 4lb tub of potato salad = $5
2-4 bags of chips = $3-6 with coupon
Various deserts

This week, i saved like $10 with coupons. Thank you HEB!

Yep, college...
Trump 2020

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Deli meat around here *starts* at about 5-6 bucks a pound. I want your grocery prices chuck!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:18 am

Hotdog wrote:
Do you suffer from any diagnosed mental illnesses?

Either that, or he's simply trolling. The next post will probably be about something like drinking urine or drinking "Kangen water" or some crap like this :roll:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:13 am

Onions are actually very good for your health. They can protect against cancer and the sulfur in them cleans blood vessels. I just wish there was an easier way of getting them down my throat :cry:

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:18 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Am I the only one here forcing myself to drink a whole onion's worth of watershake?

Question: Why drink it?

Can't you just eat it together with something else during the span of a whole day? You might actually enjoy it. I certainly would. In sallads, whatever....
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:46 am

Ok I'll bite, so how do you make an Onion Shake?
FDISK /MBR

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:04 am

Dirge wrote:
Ok I'll bite, so how do you make an Onion Shake?

Scare the bejeezus out of it?