Tech Report for Mobile CPUs?

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Tech Report for Mobile CPUs?

Postposted on Fri May 11, 2012 12:12 pm

Let's cut to the chase. I visit Tech Report multiple times a day, but I've noticed that they don't do much in the realm of mobile products as far as benchmarking/reviews. In fact all the major players (TR, Tomshardware, Anandtech, Xbit labs, Hardware Secrets, etc etc) focus a good deal of their benchmark/review articles on desktop parts. The best I've seen (IMO) is probably anandtech, but they're still focusing on the notebook as a whole.

While I previously ignored the in-depth details and comparisons of mobile hardware, I've recently been helping a fair number of people choose a notebook. I have a firm grasp on desktop hardware both in terms of performance and price/performance but am a little lacking in the mobile realm, so here's my question. What's the best site that reviews mobile CPUs and GPUs without the consideration of the notebook they're in?
I know this is probably a tall order. After all, you can switch out multiple desktop CPU's and GPUs on the same platform to perform a comparison. Its a different story with mobile CPUs and GPUs that are soldered to the motherboard. With mobile Trinity parts being released well ahead of their desktop counterparts, I would hope that the mobile parts won't be overshadowed by the desktop ones this time.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Re: Tech Report for Mobile CPUs?

Postposted on Fri May 11, 2012 12:23 pm

http://www.notebookcheck.net/

This doesn't fill your requirement but Notebook Check offers the widest variety of consistent laptop performance data I've found. Specifically their GPU database is especially worth checking out. Personally I don't believe there's as much value to be taken away of mobile CPU and GPU benchmarks without considering of the notebook as a whole. There's too many usability aspects with a laptop to just be concerned solely about performance and general performance differences can be understood by looking through the Notebook Check database. I don't know of a website that offers what you're looking for and at some point I would think I've come across it if it did exist.
Washer
Gerbil First Class

Re: Tech Report for Mobile CPUs?

Postposted on Fri May 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Honestly you probably won't find something exactly like you want. Most people probably focus on the laptop as a whole because DIY laptops are few and far between. There isn't all that much else to know though. Intel rules mobile CPUs. I guess it'd be nice to see something for GPUs everything else constant.

For me though, an HD4000 is plenty of GPU horsepower in a laptop. I have a desktop for gaming.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to The Back Porch