Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Yet Another Music Thread: Deep Cuts

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:07 am

I thought we had a thread about this already, but my search-fu is failing me. Closest thing seems to be this from a few years ago.

So anyhow... what are some of your favorite "deep cut" songs? The main intent here is obscure/underrated songs that you feel are special, from relatively well-known rock/pop musicians.

A few to get the ball rolling (and yeah, these are all older... what can I say, I'm an old fart):

"The Revenge of Vera Gemini" by Blue Oyster Cult, from their "Agents of Fortune" album. One of my all-time favorite BOC songs. Patti Smith guests on vocals (she was dating the keyboard player at the time); and while I'm not a huge Patti Smith fan, her contributions here really work well, and turn what would've been merely a good song into something that is much more than the sum of its parts.

"I'm Fine" by Heart, from their "Jupiter's Darling" album. Yeah, I bet you've never heard of the album either, let alone the song... it's from after their second (mid-80s) wave of popularity had faded. This song is quirky, a bit noisy/dissonant, and with Nancy Wilson (the guitar-playing sister) instead of Ann (who normally sings lead) on vocals. The entire "Jupiter's Darling" album is quite good, but sadly was pretty much ignored by everyone.

"Love In The Ice Age" by Pat Benatar, from "Tropico". The bluesy guitar work from her husband Neil really makes this song; he'd obviously been listening to some Stevie Ray.

"Africa" by The Knack, from "Round Trip". Could easily have been sub-titled "And now... for something completely different!" It's jazzy, funky, and proves that these guys weren't just masters of the catchy pop hook, they were great (and versatile) musicians as well. The drums on this song are absolutely killer.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: Yet Another Music Thread: Deep Cuts

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:31 pm

I think this type of thread is cool, because music tastes change with what phase of your life you're in, and what you might consider a "deep cut" at one point in your life, you consider so much noise at another.

Right now, for example, I'm partial to "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "You are My Sunshine", because they make my daughter smile. :D

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Vrock wrote:
Right now, for example, I'm partial to "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "You are My Sunshine", because they make my daughter smile. :D

Thumbs up, dude. So much of my music right now is kids' music, and it will be for a while yet. I hope. :D

Take heed of the top rated comment on this video (as it does get intentionally and suddenly quite loud, but my daughter loves it), and enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc20vMz0V7Q

I went to list a couple songs here but I realized...I'm in a musical rut with what I listen to. Time to diversify, and I'll be checking out what jbi mentioned. :) "This Ain't the Summer of Love" on BOC's "Agents of Fortune" album is a fantastic song, though I think it might actually be one of the more popular tracks.

Everyone on earth knows "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies, but the best song on the "Stunt" album is "I'll Be That Girl" - it's got some really cool and kooky imagery and clever lyrics to cover up a really angry sentiment (effectively saying "we'd all be better off if you'd just die already.")
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Since you said pop I thought about a song I haven't listened to in a long time - "Cowboys and Angels" by George Michael, Listen Without Prejudice Vol 1. The whole album is a huge departure from the 'I want your sex' type of pop music and might qualify for this thread, but that song in particular is just..perfectly haunting and different in its own way.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Yes:
Time and a Word
Astral Traveler
Wondrous Stories
Going for the One
Easily my favorite band as a teenager, I can still see most of my friends saying WTF,
are we in church? after rolling one up and listening to my collection of Yes Lp's.
Not sure I can recall a band drawing out such a range of emotions while listening to them,
except maybe Rusted Root much later in my life.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Genesis - Undertow.

From And Then There Were Three.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:36 pm

rogue426 wrote:
Yes:
Time and a Word
Astral Traveler
Wondrous Stories
Going for the One
Easily my favorite band as a teenager, I can still see most of my friends saying WTF,
are we in church? after rolling one up and listening to my collection of Yes Lp's.
Not sure I can recall a band drawing out such a range of emotions while listening to them,
except maybe Rusted Root much later in my life.

I've always been quite fond of Sound Chaser (from Relayer), and have wondered what it would've been like if Patrick Moraz had stayed in the band. Does It Really Happen? and Tempus Fugit (from Drama) are a couple more really good (but somewhat obscure) ones; who would've guessed that Yes (minus Anderson and Wakeman) plus The Buggles could've yielded such an enjoyable album? (The entirety of Drama may qualify as a deep cut... dismissed by many hardcore Yes fans and completely ignored by everyone else, IMO it is a hidden gem.)

Captain Ned wrote:
Genesis - Undertow.

Good one. I've never really understood the people who felt that they ceased to matter after Gabriel left; they were still doing some really great stuff up through Duke, and even Abacab has occasional flashes of brilliance on it (Dodo is a personal fave).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Genesis - Undertow.

Good one. I've never really understood the people who felt that they ceased to matter after Gabriel left; they were still doing some really great stuff up through Duke, and even Abacab has occasional flashes of brilliance on it (Dodo is a personal fave).

It was the first hint that Phil's first marriage was falling apart. The parts of Duke that weren't "Duke Suite" continue that (Misunderstanding, Heathaze), and it all came out in his first solo album in the best Genesis tune never recorded by Genesis (In the Air Tonight).

And yes, Sound Chaser has also been a long-term fave.

EDIT: I'm also quite partial to two good Jethro Tull "story songs", both from Crest of a Knave, namely Said She Was a Dancer and Budapest.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:01 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
EDIT: I'm also quite partial to two good Jethro Tull "story songs", both from Crest of a Knave, namely Said She Was a Dancer and Budapest.

Haven't listened to that album in years. Guess I need to give it a spin now.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:08 pm

ugh , you guys suck, now , I'll be up all night going through all my old cd's listening to all of these.
Music certainly isnt what it used to be

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:23 pm

Finding My Way - Rush. The opening cut from their self-titled debut album.

Peart hadn't joined the band yet, they were still trying to find their own voice (do we want to be a Led Zep knock-off, or something else...), and quite frankly the album has some rough edges. But that opening guitar riff fading in, and Geddy yelling "Yeah, oh yeah!" to kick things off were a promise of great things to come. Still one of my favorite Rush songs all these years later... I've even still got my original vinyl copy of the album! :D

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Finding My Way - Rush. The opening cut from their self-titled debut album.

Peart hadn't joined the band yet, they were still trying to find their own voice (do we want to be a Led Zep knock-off, or something else...), and quite frankly the album has some rough edges. But that opening guitar riff fading in, and Geddy yelling "Yeah, oh yeah!" to kick things off were a promise of great things to come. Still one of my favorite Rush songs all these years later... I've even still got my original vinyl copy of the album! :D

If it wasn't past midnight here I'd drop my vinyl version to commemorate. Maybe later in the AM, as I haven't played that one in ages.

OK, next up is "Song for a Deckhand's Daughter" from the James McMurtry album Too Long in the Wasteland.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:14 am

I'm So Afraid - Fleetwood Mac, from their 1980 live album.

Kicks the studio version's ass from here to kingdom come and back again.

Have this on vinyl too; I'm listening to a digital rip of it right now (I'm not as much of a vinyl junkie as the Cap'n, so I tend not to maintain the ability to easily play my vinyl collection unless the urge hits me to rip more of the old stash).

Edit: And another one from Nancy Wilson (guitarist for Heart): In Your Eyes, from Live at McCabe's Guitar Shop. A stripped down (just acoustic guitar and vocal) cover version of the Peter Gabriel song. Her voice doesn't have Ann's power, but I love it -- I wish they had let her sing lead more often on the Heart albums back in the day.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:27 am

If we're going to go old vinyl 'Mac, then it's clearly the full version of "Oh Well" from the US pressing of Then Play On. The first 2:45 or so is an uptempo rocker, while the succeeding 8:00 or so is a lovely classical guitar (no steel strings) piece that sounds like it should be in an Eastwood spaghetti Western.

That said, the full version of Atom Heart Mother, complete with brass and full choir, also has certain "Eastwood Western" themes in it.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:09 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
"This Ain't the Summer of Love" on BOC's "Agents of Fortune" album is a fantastic song, though I think it might actually be one of the more popular tracks.

I'd say TAtSoL qualifies as a "deep cut". If it isn't "Don't Fear the Reaper", "Godzilla" (what a goofy idea for a single, but it worked), "Burnin' For You", or "Cities On Flame" (thanks to Guitar Hero III), most people have no clue about BOC.

FWIW "Lips in the Hills" (from Cultosaurus Erectus) also gets an honorable mention. Great song.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:11 am

Color Me Blind - Extreme.

Best known as a late '80s and early '90s pop/hair metal band (and for lead singer Gary Cherone's brief ill-fated stint as the post-Hagar replacement vocalist in Van Halen), they released an ambitious "concept" album in 1992, III Sides to Every Story. IMO Color Me Blind is one of the standout tracks on this excellent (but criminally under-appreciated) album.

Edit: Tangent time... Extreme lead guitarist Nuno Bettencort's (future) wife Suze DiMarchi also had her own band, Baby Animals. Their self-titled 1992 debut album is in-fricking-credible. The opening cut "Rush You", as well as several other tracks from this album still find their way into my playlist on a regular basis. Too bad their second album didn't live up to the promise of the first (they disbanded shortly thereafter).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:13 am

jbi, I guess you have a point, I was just thinking of that particular album and the relative popularity of the songs, but yeah, they've got around 5 songs that EVERYONE knows and then all the rest.

rogue426 wrote:
Music certainly isnt what it used to be

There are people who are still out there experimenting and doing something great, but for some reason good music is shunned by the masses and it's total nonsense that gets the nod. I do not understand. At all.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:31 am

I listened to some of the Drama album last night after you posted this, and I'd agree with your classification as obscure . the tracks seem " more ordered " than their older work , but enjoyable nonetheless. Yes , ELP and Genesis all told stories in their songs and from a layman's perspective their music was like a complex mathematical equations.King Crimson did also,but I dont remember getting turned onto them until later.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:45 am

ELP - Emerson Lake and Palmer?

For gosh sakes, we have enough abbreviations in technology, can we please not abbreviate bands so much :P especially when there wasn't a reference to them already.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:34 am

MadManOriginal wrote:
ELP - Emerson Lake and Palmer?

For gosh sakes, we have enough abbreviations in technology, can we please not abbreviate bands so much :P especially when there wasn't a reference to them already.

yes , ELP = Emerson Lake And Palmer

BTW JBI, In the dark recesses of what's left on my mind, wasnt there a Sunday Late night syndicated FM show called " Deep Cuts or Tracks" ?

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:57 am

I saw Yes in concert a couple of times; what an incredible show.

My "deep cuts" are many. Many many. So here are a few:

Fleetwood Mac: "Dreams" and "Rhiannon". It's the voice, it's her voice!
Jethro Tull: "Broadsword". The imagery here is so well done, I've already directed an entire movie in my mind!
Phil Collins: "In the Air Tonight". To me this song is inseparable from Don Johnson's black Ferrari Daytona Spyder.
Peter Gabriel: "Here Comes the Flood". Amazing.
Everything but the Girl: "Missing". Passion and loneliniess. I have heard this song remixed many different ways; every one of them sounds great to me.

I rarely go back and listen to those songs because I'm into so much more now. But those are good examples.

BIF

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:00 am

rogue426 wrote:
...in the dark recesses of what's left on my mind, wasnt there a Sunday Late night syndicated FM show called " Deep Cuts or Tracks" ?

I think you're right!

I also vaguely remember something about "bisquits" and a "flour hour". I think they played commercial-free "sides" of albums. Something today's generation will never know in this era of MP3 files. But then there's Pandora, huh?

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:12 am

BIF wrote:
rogue426 wrote:
...in the dark recesses of what's left on my mind, wasnt there a Sunday Late night syndicated FM show called " Deep Cuts or Tracks" ?

I think you're right!

I also vaguely remember something about "bisquits" and a "flour hour". I think they played commercial-free "sides" of albums. Something today's generation will never know in this era of MP3 files. But then there's Pandora, huh?

This http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... m4shIKUZbA

I thought there was another one with Deep Cuts / Tracks too , will have to google later.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:33 am

BIF wrote:
rogue426 wrote:

I think you're right!

We had one in the 90's in southwest Florida called Album Archives that was similar in concept.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:41 am

BIF wrote:

That would have been the King Biscuit Flower Hour. Shows in this series were actually about 50 minutes long and were always live music. For many bands, it's the only live recordings that exist.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm

@BIF - I wouldn't really consider Dreams, Rhiannon, or In the Air Tonight to be "deep cuts" since they were played quite a lot on the radio back in the day. Though I suppose if you go by the criteria of many younger people today not knowing them they could qualify...

revparadigm
Gerbil

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:12 pm

King's X back in the 90s was such sweet ear candy to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VsMeDzCTGg

BIF

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
That would have been the King Biscuit Flower Hour. Shows in this series were actually about 50 minutes long and were always live music. For many bands, it's the only live recordings that exist.

Yep, that's it! I only heard it a couple times. Was on sports teams with early workouts so I didn't hear it a lot.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:01 am

revparadigm wrote:
King's X back in the 90s was such sweet ear candy to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VsMeDzCTGg

Hmm... I've got most of their albums but seem to have skipped that one. Maybe it was out of print for a while? I need to remedy that.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:20 pm

I'll nominate Sarah McLachlan's "Wait" from the Fumbling Toward Ecstasy album. Everyone heard "Possession" and "Ice Cream", and maybe "Fear" as well, few people ever heard track 02 on the same CD. It's an up-tempo but softer melody which perfectly compliments the timeless, "longing reminisce" theme of the lyrics -- which are all the more unusual considering McLachlan was only in her early/mid-20s when she wrote it.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration