Making sugar free ice cream

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:24 pm

I got an ice cream maker, and I love using it. I throw milk, cream, sugar, and some flavoring into the thing, turn it on, and in 30 minutes I have delicious ice cream. It's easy as can be, but I am having trouble making sugar free ice cream. The only change to the recipe is that I use sucralose instead of sugar. The end product with sucralose is a watery mess that doesn't resemble ice cream one bit. I hypothesize that real sugar does something to bind and gunk up the ice cream that sucralose doesn't. I tried adding some egg whites, but this had zero effect in adding binding to the ice cream.

Does anyone here know what to add to make sugar free ice cream actually resemble ice cream in form?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7342
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:30 pm

FireGryphon wrote:I got an ice cream maker, and I love using it. I throw milk, cream, sugar, and some flavoring into the thing, turn it on, and in 30 minutes I have delicious ice cream. It's easy as can be, but I am having trouble making sugar free ice cream. The only change to the recipe is that I use sucralose instead of sugar. The end product with sucralose is a watery mess that doesn't resemble ice cream one bit. I hypothesize that real sugar does something to bind and gunk up the ice cream that sucralose doesn't. I tried adding some egg whites, but this had zero effect in adding binding to the ice cream.

Does anyone here know what to add to make sugar free ice cream actually resemble ice cream in form?



Or you could add "healthier" sugar, like brown or black sugar. Have you ever heard of ICUMSA?

"The International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis sets standards for the measurement of the purity of refined sugar, known as ICUMSA numbers; lower numbers indicate a higher level of purity in the refined sugar"

Source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar

The less refined the sugar it is the slowly it enters your blood stream and cause health issues. The white sugar you buy and use has probably one of the lowest ICUMSA units making it very pure and thus having a white colour (sugar is a crystal in absolute pure form it will look almost transparent). So black/brown sugar is far less refined and has that colour because it's farthest away from the pure sugar crystal form.

Um scratch that
Here it says:
"Brown sugar has a slightly lower caloric value by mass than white sugar due to the presence of water. One hundred grams of brown sugar contains 373 calories, as opposed to 396 calories in white sugar.[2] However, brown sugar packs more densely than white sugar due to the smaller crystal size and may have more calories when measured by volume."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar

Maybe i was misinformed by the guy i talked to at a local sugar factory. Dang.

Might wanna read more on natural brown sugar as it seems that current technology of producing brown sugar is not by less refinement but rather mixing refined white sugar with molases. Those batards.
Last edited by Arclight on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:50 am

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:03 pm

On topic, there is really no normally available substitute for the thickening properties of sugar. The commercially available no sugar added varieties use some interesting emulsifiers to bind it together. I think there are some of those available in the restaurant supply stores. I've also heard that using the egg yolks to make the "premium" recipes helps because of the properites of the egg.

Off topic... raw sugar is less refined by definition, meaning that each serving has more bugs, dirt, pesticides, and fertilizer (natural and artificial). If that bothers people, then refined sugar may be preferable.
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.
ericfulmer
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Yeah, as I started reading your response I began mentally composing my "Not as healthy as you seem to think it is" response and then saw that you got there too. If you're headed down that path, Arclight, you'd be better off looking at syrups (Maple, Agave, etc) or true molasses, though the "healthiness" of any of them is debatable (a higher fructose to sucrose ratio is probably better, but better still is eliminating all of it altogether).

Back to the problem. This is a total guess, but I suspect that sugar substitutes don't form crystals they way sugar does as the temperature drops, and so you don't get what amounts to a colloidal emulsion (at least, I think that's what ice cream acts like). I'm sure there's also an effect on the freezing point of the liquid, if sucralose lowers the freezing point below the normal ice cream temperature. It's possible one of the other substitutes has better characteristics, and there are several to try -- stevia, aspartame, xylitol, etc. Have you looked at what is listed on the packaging of commercial "low cal" ice cream? You might also be able to get an acceptable thickness by adding Guar gum (which is used to stabilize commercial ice cream) or even corn starch. You could add more fat, but I'm not sure you end up with a healthier result. But then I really don't know enough about food chemistry to even be having this conversation.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan
 
Posts: 9979
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:00 am

There's at least three things wrong with sugar free ice cream. At least.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20568
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:17 am

The point of making the ice cream sugar free is to cut down the carbs so people watching their weight can eat it. I will look for other sugar substitutes and see what happens...
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7342
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:16 pm

Out of curiousity, did you use liquid sucralose, or granule imitation sugar kind? The packeted type is stuffed with dextrose and not as low carb as the label indicates. Lies, Lies!
RoninGyrbill
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:12 pm
Location: Upstate

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:31 pm

I used store brand sucralose, which contains maltodextrin and sucralose. Now that I look at the nutrition label, it says there is less than a gram of carbs in .5g (1 tsp) of sweetner. heh...
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7342
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:34 pm

FireGryphon wrote:The point of making the ice cream sugar free is to cut down the carbs so people watching their weight can eat it. I will look for other sugar substitutes and see what happens...
Not to pick....but why not just cut the portion size and frequency of consumption instead? The reason most people are having to watch their weight to begin with has more to do with how much they eat vs. what they eat. The whole American infatuation with low-fat, low-cal, and artificial sweeteners just encourages people to literally have their cake and eat it too instead of demonstrating any self-control.

When I was in Germany, the wife and I ordered an ice cream cone at a shop. They had two sizes: a regular for about 80 cents, and an American size for twice that. The scoop for the regular size was about half of what you'd get in the States. It made me think.

Instead of fooling around with something delicious like ice cream, view it as an occasional treat that you consume in a reasonable amount, and you can enjoy it 1) the way it was meant to be, with real sugar, and 2) not worry about getting fatter.

A serving size (1/2 cup) of Archer Farms Vanilla Bean Ice Cream has 190 calories, 12g of fat, and 17g of carbs (from all sugar) which is only 6% of your RDA of carbs. With some diet management in other areas, you could eat it daily.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20568
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Vrock, I conduct my own ice crema intake in the manner you describe, however the people whom I'm feeding do not.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7342
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Well that's easy then, just tell the fatties to put the spoon down. :D
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20568
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:13 am

Vrock wrote:Well that's easy then, just tell the fatties to put the spoon down. :D

Yep, make them feel guilty about how fat they are and self conscious about their weight. All of the fat people I know love the reminder and don't eat so much anymore.
SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
 
Posts: 12260
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:47 am
Location: a regular hole

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:05 am

Hey, he said they were "watching their weight". If you're fat and comfortable with being fat that's one thing, but if you're one of those fatties who is is eating a metric ton of "light" crap because you're "watching your weight" then the best course of action is to put the spoon down.

More to the OPs topic, a better tasting and lower fat treat than sugar free ice cream might be sherbet, frozen yogurt, or even ice milk. My old Cuisinart maker came with recipes for those when I got it years ago.
Last edited by Vrock on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20568
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:09 am

....Having tried the low carb options from the store...I've come to the conclusion: If actual food scientists can't make low carb ice cream taste right your chances are close to 0.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585
jss21382
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:17 am

I don't understand the carb obsession some dieters have. As far as ice cream goes, its not the carbs that are the problem, it's the fat.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20568
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 am

I'd argue it's the calories that are the problem, not the fat or carbs. Traditional ice cream has a ton of calories, particularly since most people have way more than a serving...but even that 190 calorie serving you listed is nearly 10% of an average person's RDA of calories, for something that isn't particularly filling and doesn't have a lot of nutritional value.

Personally, particularly since I'm lifting heavy again, I'm trying to keep that stuff low so I can eat a crap ton of protein (mostly fish & chicken, some beef and pork, some egg whites) without going over about 2200-2500 calories a day, but even for a normal person, 10% your daily calorie intake from something that won't satisfy you for more than 10 or 15 minutes seems a bit much.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5519
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:14 am
Location: Amarillo, Texas

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:09 am

I love all the weight comments yet no mention of diabetes, which certainly can exist in thin people.
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:13 am

One of my wife's friends is a thin diabetic--type 1, not type 2. Has to wear one of those little thingies that monitors her levels all the time.

But, to be fair to us, I think a lot more people are just fat than are diabetic.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5519
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:14 am
Location: Amarillo, Texas

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:32 pm

FireGryphon wrote:The point of making the ice cream sugar free is to cut down the carbs so people watching their weight can eat it. I will look for other sugar substitutes and see what happens...

Have you thought about making sorbet or sherbert instead?

I don't think you'll ever make a satisfactory sugar-free ice cream, well at least I've never had one.

Have you tried low sugar using 1/3-1/2 the normal amount of sugar + some other sweetener?
BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1042
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:47 am
Location: Champaign, IL

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:40 pm

pikaporeon wrote:I love all the weight comments yet no mention of diabetes, which certainly can exist in thin people.

Well duh. But thin people who have diabetes aren't getting it because they're fat, so your comment is pointless.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20568
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 am

paulWTAMU wrote:I'd argue it's the calories that are the problem, not the fat or carbs.
Well yeah....but the calories come from the fat and carbs.

In the example I gave, 58% of the calories are from fat. Cut the fat, you cut the calories.

You could make a significant dent in that by going with one of the alternative frozen desserts mentioned above.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20568
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:05 pm

The thing with "low fat" yoghurts etc that you have to watch out for, is that they might be low in fat, but they will have a large amount of sugar or other calories instead.

I love ice cream, but I can't seem to eat like one bowl and put the rest away, I end up eating the whole tub, especially if it's nice stuff like Haagen Dazs or Ben and Jerry's. So I just don't buy it any more, if it's not in my freezer I can't eat it. Admittedly this solution is less than perfect considering I live opposite a corner shop, but hey. I have it for the odd treat like at a restaurant or something.
Nutmeg
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 917
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:37 pm
Location: The void which binds

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:59 pm

The reason most people are having to watch their weight to begin with has more to do with how much they eat vs. what they eat.


Completely and utterly wrong. The problem is 100% what you eat - sugar, particularly any kind containing fructose.

Your body does not know what to do with fructose. It sends it right to your liver - just like any other toxin. Even ethanol is metabolized easier and isn't as hard on your body. While glucose is your primary form of fuel and metabolized throughout your body, often slowly, this is what happens to fructose:

- Breaks down into a large amount of immediately stored fat. This doesn't happen to anything else.
- Breaks down into uric acid, raising your blood pressure and causing hypertension that leads to strokes and heart attacks.
- Breaks down into LDL cholesterol, the bad kind that stimulates arterial plaque and turns the walls brown.
- Instantly causes an abnormal blood sugar spike, which leads to a massive insulin response that:
- Makes you hungrier by blocking leptin, the receptor in your brain that inhibits appetite.
- Makes you lethargic by taking your body's fuel out of your blood. Ever felt tired after eating? That's not right.
- Increases insulin resistance, ultimately leading to type 2 diabetes.
- Increases leptin resistance, ultimately leading to obesity and insatiable hunger.
- Overworkers your liver, potentially scarring it and causing cirrhosis. There is a record number of people dying of cirrhosis of the liver who don't drink alcohol.

As if that weren't enough, sugar also feeds cancer cells!

So it's precisely what you eat, not about how much you eat or exercise. Fructose is added to practically all pre-prepared foods. Have fun finding bread without it. Even milk often has it.

High fructose corn syrup, and other processed sugars that rely on fructose to taste sweet, have been increasingly subsidized and used to mask the void of flavor in low fat food. You can trace the prevalence of metabolic syndrome and corresponding obesity, type 2 diabetes, and hypertension epidemics to its introduction and continuous rise.

If you eat a bunch of real vegetables, coconuts, meat, and fish, completely loaded with fat and all the calories that come from it, you aren't going to turn into a balloon with a reduced life expectancy. In fact, you would be the pinnacle of healthiness. Look at any Mediterranean culture, regardless of the particular country or ethnicity. On top of no obesity epidemic, they also have little to no problem with heart disease, diabetes, and many types, if not most types, of cancer.

Soda portion sizes going from 8 oz to 32+ oz is the argument the media and politicians typically uses to blame "food" portions.

Yes, portion size has been going up - of processed junk. You can't even call it food. Soda isn't food. It's liquified processed sugar. The same applies to your ice cream example.
OneArmedScissor
Gerbil
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:01 pm

If you eat a bunch of real vegetables, coconuts, meat, and fish, completely loaded with fat and all the calories that come from it, you aren't going to turn into a balloon with a reduced life expectancy.


Sumo wrestlers would disagree...obviously they're extreme but you can actually eat too much real food. It's just not as easy. While sumos may be healthier than the average 500 lb person, they're not the pinnacle of health and they don't live nearly as long as average people.

You also can't pretend we haven't had soda before; coke reaches back over 100 years. Yeah, it wasn't made with corn syrup but it still wasn't great for you...but people drank a lot less of it, so it probably didn't matter as much.

FWIW, I'm eating 95% real food (you can have my 3 diet cokes a day when hell freezes over). But you can eat too much, particularly of calorie dense stuff (grains, rice, red meat are all examples--I eat those but I do watch portion sizes on them). Eat as many veggies as you want, I agree. Ditto poultry and fish (well, I guess we have to worry about mercury in some of them but...). But it's not like you can go through a stick of butter a day and not have it hurt your health either.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5519
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:14 am
Location: Amarillo, Texas

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:56 pm

OneArmedScissor wrote:As if that weren't enough, sugar also feeds cancer cells!

Uhm, duh? Simple sugars are one of the three primary energy sources essential for cellular respiration, the other two being amino acids and fatty acids. Cancer, by definition, is uncontrolled cellular growth and division, so of course cancer cells are going to consume large amounts of energy sources. That's why one of the potential early warning signs for cancer is sudden, unexplained weight loss (after ruling out an endocrine disorder).
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5439
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:15 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:I'd argue it's the calories that are the problem, not the fat or carbs.


100% correct in terms of weight. But, iff you ate 2000 calories of sugar all day and burned 2000 calories a day you wouldn't gain or lose any weight. However, bodyfat % and blood sugar would obviously be atrocious and you would be dead... But you get the idea. As someone said earlier, people can be thin and have diabetes. People can also be thin and have high % body fat, which is unhealthy but much like being obese (in terms of bmi) and high bodyfat %.

The problem with sugar is the amount of extra calories it provides and it plays a huge role in obesity because it is so easy to consume. 3 cans of soda is nothing, I'm sure most of us here could put down 5 or 6 cans of soda a day and not think twice. Hell we do it with beer all the time! Ha, the problem is that a can of soda tacks on another 150+ cals. Add that to the food we eat and it's easy to get a calorie surplus and tack on the pounds. Throw in the sugar from juices, teas, snack foods (poptarts!!), and other quick foods, then you start to add on even more. OneArm highlighted the negative effects of sugar, so that coupled with the abundance of foods that are loaded with it creates a serious threat if one is not mindful of what they are eating. Not only with weight, but also with overall health.

Oh yeah... Forgot to say that it wreaks havoc on teeth!! But that's another rant haha. (My mom is the Chair of a Dental Hygiene Department at a university, Love you Mom.)
bru_05
Gerbil
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:11 am

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:21 am

OneArmedScissor wrote:
The reason most people are having to watch their weight to begin with has more to do with how much they eat vs. what they eat.


Completely and utterly wrong. The problem is 100% what you eat - sugar, particularly any kind containing fructose.
So, I'll be honest. Your post: TLDR. Not all of it anyway, because it was evident from the first sentence of your eight page nutritional dissertation that you missed my point entirely. So here it is: people aren't fat because they eat an occasional donut, or have a couple of bowls of ice cream a week, or grab that Kit-Kat from the vending machine at work between 3 pm and quitting time every now and then.

They're fat because they do it ALL THE TIME.

Moderation, dude. Moderation is the key. The food pyramid works. When it says "fats, oils, and sweets, use sparingly" it means it. That was my point. I know, I know: fructose is poison, and you don't take poison in moderation, right?

You're just as bad as the fatties.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 20568
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Vrock wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:I love all the weight comments yet no mention of diabetes, which certainly can exist in thin people.

Well duh. But thin people who have diabetes aren't getting it because they're fat, so your comment is pointless.

Though it would certainly necessitate sugarless icecream.
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada.

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Vrock wrote:
OneArmedScissor wrote:
The reason most people are having to watch their weight to begin with has more to do with how much they eat vs. what they eat.


Completely and utterly wrong. The problem is 100% what you eat - sugar, particularly any kind containing fructose.
So, I'll be honest. Your post: TLDR. Not all of it anyway, because it was evident from the first sentence of your eight page nutritional dissertation that you missed my point entirely. So here it is: people aren't fat because they eat an occasional donut, or have a couple of bowls of ice cream a week, or grab that Kit-Kat from the vending machine at work between 3 pm and quitting time every now and then.

They're fat because they do it ALL THE TIME.

Moderation, dude. Moderation is the key. The food pyramid works. When it says "fats, oils, and sweets, use sparingly" it means it. That was my point. I know, I know: fructose is poison, and you don't take poison in moderation, right?

You're just as bad as the fatties.

He's actually quite right in terms of nutrition being about what you eat...we've got a lot of messed up standards in nutritional guidelines in the US (like low cholesterol targets despite having little correlation between it and heart disease), and the food pyramid puts heavy emphasis on grains, even though it violates this simple lifestyle/diet rule:

EAT REAL FOOD.

This would solve 90% of anyone's nutritional problems. Real food (veggies, fruits, meats), are filling without beefing up on extra calories, which does, in fact, work with your point about how much anyone eats. Even an "American" sized portion of green veggies wouldn't get someone fat, since there are hardly any calories. Meats are also easy on digestion because they aren't loaded with tons of sugar/carbs, and being low glycemic index means that your blood sugar will stay stable.

Sorry to be the hippie that says: "Let's chill out since everyone has a good point," but...well...you both have good points. Portion is an issue, but specifically what you choose to eat has an effect on portion size and how your body reacts to it.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Making sugar free ice cream

Postposted on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:29 pm

superjawes wrote:EAT REAL FOOD.

This would solve 90% of anyone's nutritional problems. Real food (veggies, fruits, meats), are filling without beefing up on extra calories, which does, in fact, work with your point about how much anyone eats.

There is nothing about grains that makes them not "real food", provided you eat whole grains (which are high in fiber and thus much more filling) instead of refined grains. It's much the same difference as drinking fruit juice versus eating the actual fruit: the more a food is processed and refined, the more concentrated the low-mass, high-calorie portion becomes while stripping away the part that contributes to appetite control.

There is, of course, an entire secondary debate over causes and solutions to food allergies such as gluten sensitivity, and if you have such an allergy, then by all means adjust accordingly. But IMO balance and moderation should be the overriding principles.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5439
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Next

Return to The Back Porch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests