User Impression Forum

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

User Impression Forum

Postposted on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Would you guys consider adding a user impression forum? Where people can share their subjective opinions of new hardware they bought. Sorta like Newegg reviews only open for discussion. I think it would be very relevant to the website and quite useful as I, as well as quite a few others, do little writeups of our experiences after buying hardware (good and bad). They always end up lost to the bowels of the forums even though they usually have good information in them.
Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Re: User Impression Forum

Postposted on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Do you really think the forums here get enough traffic that relevant hardware commentary is getting "lost to the bowels of the forums"? We've already got category-specific forums (e.g Processors, Graphics, Storage, etc.); the rate of creation of new topics is low enough that they tend to stay on the first page of their respective forum index for at least a couple of months.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Yes... In general it does and in the more popular forums it does (CPU and Graphics). Not to mention people don't have a place to go and look for these when they want them. They can search for them, but being able to browse all of them at the same time may spur buying decisions. I think they take up enough of a users time to deserve their own place both for the person posting and someone looking to find it.
Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:13 pm

I think your best bet is just to drop a review into the appropriate forum and give it a proper title, like:

"Bensam's GTX 666 Review"

OR

"TR USER REVIEW FOR INTEL 9001K"

The alternative would be to start a thread whenever a major TR hardware review is added for users to add their own in-depth reviews and personal experiences.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:24 pm

People can already do that with existing forum categories, and the other people who might be looking for such review can always use a search function. No need to encourage lazy people with redundant categories...
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:44 pm

We could dump all the forums into one big forum and then people could find the appropriate articles with a search function too.
Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Bensam123 wrote:We could dump all the forums into one big forum and then people could find the appropriate articles with a search function too.

...or we could give EVERY person who thinks that his/her "subjective impression about irrelevant (to some) product are more objective than any similar impressions by any other person and, therefore, must ALWAYS stay on top of the page" a separate forum section? :roll:
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:49 pm

If a review/post is good and proves useful, the popularity will make mods sticky it. The problem is, what you think is good review may not matter squat to another.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:36 pm

Flying Fox wrote:The problem is, what you think is good review may not matter squat to another.

Yeap. If the review has relevant, useful content - it will naturally stay "on top" of page, even in existing forum sections, just because of other users discussing it in same post. If the review has irrelevant (for most) information - it will be naturally "pushed off" off the front page (even if it will be located in dedicated "important reviews by very important people!!!1111" forum section), and there's absolutely no need to artificially keep such "irrelevant" reviews more "visible" by "stickying" them or by creating redundant forum sections :wink:
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:27 am

"What hardware are you reviewing RIGHT NOW?"
:D
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:31 am

ludi wrote:"What hardware are you reviewing RIGHT NOW?"
:D

Teh win. I nominate the OP to start such a thread.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Return to The Back Porch