Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Step Two: Look for work

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:13 pm

Yay me! I finish all my credits for my BSEET next week, and it's time to go job hunting! For you much more experienced job hunters, what is a good resource to use when researching a prospective employer? I guess a site where employees rate their companies would be good. It's a brave new world out there, and I want to make sure I'll be a good fit wherever I go.

Pointers welcome. Thanks!
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Step Two: Look for work

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:22 pm

You want Glassdoor for that, although I take it all with a grain of salt.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

Deadsalt
Gerbil

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:03 pm

For researching a potential employer, http://www.careerbliss.com/, is a good site. I just found it this morning, while trying to prepare for an interview. Glassdoor is also a good site to look at.

Now for actually finding a job, posting your resume to Career Builder, or any of the other sites like Monster is a good idea. I've managed to get some interview from just posting my resume on a job board. Also any tools or systems you used in you EET classes, the companies that makes them would be a good place to apply. It allows you to show that you have experience even if all you've done is class work.

I'm in the same boat as you, newly graduated BBACIS major, looking for jobs and companies where I'll fit in.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Which EE was that -- Electrical or Electronics?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Electronics.

Thanks for the tips! I just made a LinkedIn profile last week, but I'll be sure to establish myself on the others as well. Keep the suggestions coming... :D

Not too sure I'm going to stay at my current employer, because after 10 years I've grown tired of the workplace culture. I'm practically guaranteed a job as soon as I have paper in hand, but I really don't know if I want to put any more years into that place. I consider it my last resort if I can't find something better outside.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."