Ski review site?

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Ski review site?

Postposted on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:08 am

Hi all,

I figured I'd ask here first, since I trust the community... Anyone have a recommendation for a good ski review site? I'm thinking of getting new skis this year or next, and I'd love to find a site like TR for skis and stuff.. My biggest fear on googling is that I'll end up having to sift through lots of review sites that are biased, or don't have the in depth analysis (i.e. regurgitated marketing info)

I thought about sticking this in the Sports forum, but it seemed more of a back porch question.. feel free to move if necessary.
druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Ski review site?

Postposted on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Alas I don't know of any, but I'd be interested to know if there are any good ones.

When I'm hunting for snowboard info there are too many "vague and useless" reviews. Sometimes I think we are spoiled by sites like TR and Anand since outside the tech field, impartial yet informative reviews are pretty hard come by. Possibly the Auto industry is the only thing that comes close.

As a rule, I look at customer reviews on the bigger sites and just look at the criticisms. Looking at the positive reviews, most of them are "OMG THESE ARE AMAZING" twitbook/facetube-style comments, which you just have to ignore because people typically buy a better and more expensive model when they come to replace old gear, so uh.... of course they're going to feel better than your old ones, you morons....

Anyway, you find the good ones by eliminating many of the bad ones. I could recommend some snowboards based on the experience of me and my usual boarding buddies over the last dozen trips, but my skiing knowledge is pretty crap.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Return to The Back Porch