Gerbil
Topic Author

Thought you were safe as a kid?

Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:56 am

21...47...69...122!

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:48 am

*runs upstairs and starts doing the dishes, then cleaning the toilet when finishesd*
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:24 am

Whew....that is some heavy S*it! Really interesting read. If that wouldnt break ur "cherry"...nuthin will :roll:

Kinda like gettin thrown in the den of lions...u learn quick or u dont survive.

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:36 am

Another reason why you should listen to your parents, children...

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:44 am

If they had that when I was a kid, I probably would have been sent there. I have since straightened out my life after being a very bad kid. Now the worst thing I do is spend too much money on computers.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:53 am

Brainwashing, pure and simple.

While there are certainly some "troubled teens" who can't be helped by conventional means, this can't be the answer. While they may outwardly appear "cured" when they come out, they are in reality far more damaged than when they went in. Wouldn't surprise me if a few of 'em "go postal" in a few years, when they realize what has been done to them. And what kind of parents are these kids going to make when they grow up and have kids of their own?

Troubled kids aren't like a car with a balky transmission. You can't just send 'em off to the repair shop and throw some money at the problem!

AmishRakeFight
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:29 pm

my mom was never afraid to give me a good butt kicking when I screwed up. I think the art of discipline is kind of lost in today's politically correct society.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:33 pm

my mom was never afraid to give me a good butt kicking when I screwed up.

I have no problem with that.

I think the art of discipline is kind of lost in today's politically correct society.

But the practices described in the article go way beyond "discipline". Did you read the article?

Months of solitary confinement is something you use to control a violent criminal who poses a threat to staff and inmates at the penitentiary. Not as a way to punish a disobedient teenager.
Last edited by just brew it! on Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boobyne
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:33 pm

A Jamaican Clockwork Orange

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:34 pm

Well now isn't that interesting, I'm not even sure what to say yet.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:41 pm

There u go....key word...DISCIPLINE!! But in todays society it is not proper to take ur kid to the "shed"...as a matter of fact..here in the state of Washington..u even browbeat ur child..u in a world of trouble...to me that is totally out of the realm of humanity. Same with schools...bring back corporal punishment...u screw up ...u get it. That is precisely why some of these kids were sent to Tranquillity to begin with...here in this state..they have to have 5 strikes against em before they even get nabbed by the law..u tell me if that is teaching them right from wrong. Whenever a kid can tell a teacher to go f...k off and not get in any kind of trouble.....you know this society is doomed as we now know it! Not tryin to sound like and ol Orge here...there IS a fine line between fear and respect and IMOHO you need a little of both! If they are going to be an integral part of society they have to learn there are rules to be followed, and when broken..a price to pay. As far as the parents being divorced..i know its a tuff situation...sad to say..mine had to go thru it..but i certainly never divorced them...and they turned out just fine. In todays world of a 2 wage earner family..there really isnt a whole lot of time for the parents and kids to interact as a family...but then again...that was a government designed vehicle for tax purposes.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:46 pm

SF...what happened to u? Fall off ur bike and rattle ur cage to straighten u out? he he..... :wink:

AmishRakeFight
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:46 pm

I'm not saying I agree with the article at all, I'm just saying a lot of disturbed teenagers (and even some adults who are still disturbed) never had any sort of discipline in their formative years. Its not entirely their fault, as they are the product of piss-poor parenting.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:52 pm

LS, I just got into too much trouble and I finally understood if I did not clean up my problems, I would end up living on the street when my parents threw me out. I had a serious talk with them and I cleaned up my life. The big thing is that you have to want to change, as no one cam make you change against your will.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:53 pm

Ive seen good parents with bad kids...bad parents with great kids...and in each instance ..discipline was the factor...either they didnt have it or they did...Parents set the rules and expect the child to follow to a certain degree...when that child crosses that line..he /she knows they are making that choice..to do nothing when the rules are broken shows the child that rules mean nothing.

Armigel
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:59 pm

I know I was far from perfect growing up and some kids get away with to much these days but someplace like this just can't be the right answer.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:19 pm

It does sound a little freaky...but im lookin at it as either they can pay now...(as in possibly getting their life turned around) or pay later...(as in spending a good majority of their life behind bars). Never did care for the installment plan...got me farther and farther behind :wink: A few years ago i tried to get a "school" for troubled teens put together thru grants but it never did materialize...was gonna have different vocational training for them...accredited teachers...kinda like the last outpost before they joined the Foreign Legion. Had property site(125 acres) and was ready to go...and it just fell thru...sucked big time! :cry:

Felix
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:35 pm

:o could this b considered hell on earth?
~FeLiX
|Sager NP9750|X2 4400+|2GB DDR400|100GB 7200.0|100GB 5400.0|Go 7800 GTX|17" 12ms LCD|