Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Who is The Most Worthy?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Forge - For risking a lifetime forum ban by giving Damage bunny ears in the group photo
8 (15%)
Mrs. Shoes - For being Ellie's buddy all day and basically making it possible for her and Mrs. Fish to attend
10 (19%)
Colt - For this photo
3 (6%)
ClickClick5 - For riding 2,429 miles round trip on a crotch rocket to attend
13 (25%)
Sheldomaus - For his "my fingers smell funny!" outburst and raw unrestrained excitment over owning so much lube
3 (6%)
Mrs. Frobozz - For letting Stiffie beat her at bean bags leading the way for him to become the Golden Cupcake
2 (4%)
Damage - For knocking off Skuzzy's head, botching the give away numbers, and deadpanning, "I haven't gotten that old yet" in response to Ned's, "Sometimes the spud just doesn't want to cooperate."
7 (13%)
thegleek - For almost turning a paper lantern into a submarine and demonstrably incredible situational awareness
6 (12%)

Total votes: 52

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: TR BBQ ~X~ Official Thread

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Forge wrote:
I'll bring a dozen laptops of varying price point, and try to convert those to negotiable instruments if needed.

I may be interested in one, depending on age and condition.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:35 pm

The BBQ league will continue to be on Yahoo :wink:

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm looking for a somewhat recent socket 757 board - the MSI P6N SLI I bought from someone a year or two ago at the BBQ has died. I want to bring my bedroom HTPC back to life.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:16 pm

Medals ordered! Including the new 4th place award henceforth known only as the Golden Cupcake!

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Forge wrote:
I'll bring a dozen laptops of varying price point, and try to convert those to negotiable instruments if needed.

Shoot, I have literally dozens. I think my newest would be one of the unremarkable Ivy Bridge ones I have, oldest is probably my now-retired HP Elitebook 8530p. I think I have a few older ones in the garage as well, though they'd be useful mostly as parts donors. I'll start sorting out a dozen or so to bring along.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:25 am

My PTO is confirmed. I'm now confirmed to attend. I'll be making some calls looking for a co-driver/co-attendee tonight.

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:50 am

This one is shaping up quite well, drfish.
Your ideas intrigue me; I would like to purchase stock in your company.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:33 am

Indeed. I am so freaking excited! :o You have no idea, I/we have gone to work, doctor's offices, Meijer, and no where else for over 8 months. This is a huge deal for us! :D

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:49 pm

My wife has been lurking on the this thread - and she wants to say:

"I can’t wait to meet Ellie. I am so looking forward to that along with the great food, kicking some butt in bags, and just a great day with great people. "

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Stacy has specifically mentioned she is looking forward to spending time with your family as well. :)

In other news I've confirmed that we can park across the street again. I'll post a vaguely mappish looking thing with details but basically when you arrive come on down our driveway to unload your goods and then head back across the street to Kamp Kiwanis and leave you vehicle in their parking lot for the day/night. If you arrive on Friday night feel free to wait until Saturday to move your car.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:10 pm

If only my wife was more travel-friendly, I'd pack up Clan Forge and bring them along as well. Maybe for XI, I guess.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:39 pm

Added a poll to this thread regarding the raft. There does seem to be some disappointment that I wasn't planning on making one for this year but my sister is considering taking on raft manager duty which would potentially mean I only need to make it which is really the easy part to be honest. So what do you think? Worth the effort/weather gamble?

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:00 pm

If there is a raft and your sister is on that raft, then I will be as well. That's sun-blistering tradition!

Adam better get on it, too.

sis_of_fish
Gerbil

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am

eitje wrote:
If there is a raft and your sister is on that raft, then I will be as well. That's sun-blistering tradition!

Well, maybe I'll see you there then XD
(I'll at least see you for sure at the BBQ in general lol)

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:34 pm

I would say since you (and your family and friends) go out of your way as it is enough to throw this thing together as well as you do...
Who cares if there's a raft or not - if it's any sort of negative impact on your list of things to do, then don't worry about it :)

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:04 pm

We could always go with something a little more pedistrian...?

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:51 am

When I think of raft, I think of capsizeable. If you say luxury pontoon boat with wi-fi :D

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:53 am

Obviously you've never seen the rafts I make... Capsizing in not a concern. ;)

SHOES
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:51 pm

drfish wrote:
Obviously you've never seen the rafts I make... Capsizing in not a concern. ;)

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:55 pm

That was a good one.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Ok, so I was just chatting with Morphine (who wants me to clarify that he'd love to attend, maybe some year, but not this year) and he wants me to ask;

Is anyone going anywhere near PA that we can talk about ride-sharing/carpooling, or even just keeping company and splitting gas costs? I know CapNed goes through Erie, but that's pretty far out of my way too. Anyone else in this part of the country? Someone in the greater PA/NJ/MD or even the DC area would be awesome.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:03 am

just brew it! wrote:
Forge wrote:

Many, various, from purchased in the last few months and pretty much mint all the way back to "I keep it because it was great once" and "has most of it's parts".

I'll bring a bunch, at varying points along the continuum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:53 am

Forge wrote:
I'll bring a bunch, at varying points along the continuum.

Mostly interested in "affordable but still functional"... so somewhere in the middle of the continuum. Managed to snag one that fit that bill at last year's BBQ. All it needed was a replacement OS (it came with Vista on it so that gives you some idea of the vintage), and just recently I replaced the battery since the run time was starting to suck. The touchpad is starting to flake out now, but that's life; I usually use a cordless mouse with it anyway!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:30 am

First post edit to follow... With attendance looking to be as high as 40-50 people this year we're going to need a lot of supplies! I've complied a list below that we need people to commit to bringing. As people commit to each item (probably a couple per) I'll put their name next to it on the first post so check there to see what's already spoken for... I'll take care of anything that's missing before the big day but help keeping my list to a minimum is appreciated! Please make sure to point out anything I'm missing from this list...

Ribs, burgers, hot dogs, buns, charcoal, plates, napkins, silverware, garbage bags, ICE, coolers, chairs, tables, firewood, soda, water, chairs, tables, beer, other drinks, chips, condiments, veggies, fruits, deserts, chairs, tables, Cornhole sets, brats/more hot dogs & buns (beach meal), smores stuff, cooking forks, any other food stuffs, and breakfast supplies for Sunday morning for those that are staying at the cottage...

Also, I would like a rough idea of how many people are thinking about coming to our house on the 16th, please post or PM a quick maybe, probably, or for sure if you could. :)

Edit: Also added parking details, everyone please park at the Kamp Kiwanis lot across the street per Street View image in first post and below. Cottage is green, Kiwanis is yellow.

DashTrash
Gerbil

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:28 am

We can get the garbage bags and the napkins.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:32 am

Down the years, i look forward to attend TR BBQ :) Hope its soon.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:29 am

Per usual I will be providing ribs, burgers(idchafee would not come otherwise), standard hotdogs, buns for both. Along with cheese slices.

I am also looking to do a breakfast casserole for those that come(or stayed over) and help clean up Sunday morning. Probably an egg, cheese, sausage, potato mix, that I can drop in the oven for a bit and people can spoon out. A head count would be nice so I know how many to account for.

No obligation to stay. I know a number of people have a long drive, and cannot always stay overnight or might need to leave super early. Just doing something nice for those that can.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:15 am

First post updated! Remember that just because someone's name is next to something doesn't mean you can't bring some too, we're going to need a lot of supplies! :o

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:00 am

I'm leaving Friday morning, as early as I can tolerate, and driving straight through (14 hours per GoogMaps), so I'll probably be arriving Friday night, late-ish. I'm not averse to hanging out, but depending on when I arrive, I'll likely be reading on my tablet for a bit and then crashing, so as to be civilized on Saturday. I'm planning on staying Sat night-Sun morning as well, and driving all Sunday, so I don't mind cleaning and/or cooking on Sunday.

I also make a really great Sunday food we call Bullseyes, they're apparently widely known, but by thousands of names. You cut a hole in the piece of bread, put it on a griddle to toast lightly, and crack an egg into the hole. Flip when half cooked. It's part french toast, part egg over easy, part regular toast, and no one I've made them for has ever hated them.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:08 am

a/k/a Toad in the Hole.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.