Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Who is The Most Worthy?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Forge - For risking a lifetime forum ban by giving Damage bunny ears in the group photo
8 (15%)
Mrs. Shoes - For being Ellie's buddy all day and basically making it possible for her and Mrs. Fish to attend
10 (19%)
Colt - For this photo
3 (6%)
ClickClick5 - For riding 2,429 miles round trip on a crotch rocket to attend
13 (25%)
Sheldomaus - For his "my fingers smell funny!" outburst and raw unrestrained excitment over owning so much lube
3 (6%)
Mrs. Frobozz - For letting Stiffie beat her at bean bags leading the way for him to become the Golden Cupcake
2 (4%)
Damage - For knocking off Skuzzy's head, botching the give away numbers, and deadpanning, "I haven't gotten that old yet" in response to Ned's, "Sometimes the spud just doesn't want to cooperate."
7 (13%)
thegleek - For almost turning a paper lantern into a submarine and demonstrably incredible situational awareness
6 (12%)

Total votes: 52

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: TR BBQ ~X~ Official Thread

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:50 am

I'll bring some more organization to this thread over the weekend now that we have passed the one month to go mark. However, you're job for today is to help me pick the memes to have engraved on the Cornhole trophies this year... We need a phrase for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place... Additionally if you have any strong feelings about the look of the trophies let me know your picks from here. :)

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:19 am

I don't know what it is going on and I'm scared, so very, very scared.

I think I'm coming down with the flu :wink:

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:40 pm

I honestly think TR staff, Scott, Geoff, Cyril, etc...should surprise us with what should be written.
Also, any of the funny blog writers should be queried as well.
I enjoy the witty and sarcastic comments in the articles, so they should apply their talents to the trophies.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:49 pm

How about: "I came all the way to Holland, MI, and this is the best inscription they could come up with?" :D

Edit: Oh, and as in past years, I expect to have some cheap and/or "free to good home" gently used computer parts on hand. Potentially of interest to anyone looking to build a system for one of their kids, or to set up a secondary system to experiment with (you can do a lot with VMs these days, but not *everything*).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Xorathis
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Xorathis wrote:
For anyone that needs a lift to the BBQ and lives near or can get to any of the cities along my path out to Michigan, feel free to PM me to arrange something. I'll be coming from Western New York, so places like Rochester, Buffalo, Erie, Cleveland, Toledo and etc.

I'll wave on the way past you. Erie is my midpoint stop both ways.

Should be pretty easy to spot ya if you're wearing that tye-dye polo you mentioned earlier. :P I wonder if it will look like a rainbow at 70+ mph...............

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Edit: Oh, and as in past years, I expect to have some cheap and/or "free to good home" gently used computer parts on hand. Potentially of interest to anyone looking to build a system for one of their kids, or to set up a secondary system to experiment with (you can do a lot with VMs these days, but not *everything*).

Yay! And your ugly green machine is still running my minecraft server all this time!

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:36 pm

I like my SC2 quote. I think it's nice for the 10th year :)

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:20 am

Nothing else? Will probably order them this week. I like JBI's but it is too long, think 8-12 words tops (I need room for the standard trophy description)...

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:55 pm

Apologies for the picture that doesn't do our haul justice but I wanted to show off what SHOES and I picked up last Friday.

That right there my friends is what you call excessive. :o

Also, still looking for quotes for the trophies, don't put this all on me! I'm thinking about getting this set this year. Thoughts? We could also go with neck medals or this set is nice too and I haven't gotten it before...

BerserkBen
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:31 pm

I like the neck medals the best because I think they would be worn in following years at the BBQ. I'll try to think of some quotes.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:56 pm

Neck orders? We're moving all the way to the top of chivalric orders.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:34 am

Neck medals are cool. But have you seen these corn hole trophies?

http://www.trophies2go.com/Corn-Hole-Game-Trophies

Noice!!!

As for some quotes, maybe these?

* dont ya mean cornhole (replaced "type" pun)
* this isnt MY bean bag!
* reqiescat in pace (maybe change the wording here? i dunno)
* overclocked cornholer

for losing trophy:

* better then the green towel!
* he that should not be mentioned
* action jims sausage was the other choice

come on people! 10 years of TR! you must have epic quotes! think back! i think idastiffie wants to burn another tshirt too! :P

DashTrash
Gerbil

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Hello all!

I've been a long time reader of TR and listner of the pocast, but rarely am in the forums. I remember seeing the post last year about the bbq, and thought it would be cool to try to make it one year. I couldn't make Quakecon work out, but I just locked in the time off and think I can make it to the bbq this year! The gf and I are going to make a trip out of it, flying to Chicago for a few days, then drive up for the bbq. So it would be myself +1. According to google, it is about a 2 1/2 hr drive from O Hare to Holland, Mi. Does that sound accurate?

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:31 pm

"Yes, but what does it score on crusher.dm2?"
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:38 pm

Alright, 2nd choice after Quakecon, not too shabby! I'll have to put that in our advertising. :D

BTW, I'm leaning pretty heavily toward the neck medals. I've placed an inquiry about engraving them - I'm guessing there will be something on the back...

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:47 pm

DashTrash wrote:
According to google, it is about a 2 1/2 hr drive from O Hare to Holland, Mi. Does that sound accurate?

That's best case. If you're doing it at rush hour it may take an hour+ longer than that.

If you're just planning to drive out to Holland the morning of, traffic shouldn't be bad.

DashTrash
Gerbil

Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

drfish wrote:
Alright, 2nd choice after Quakecon, not too shabby! I'll have to put that in our advertising. :D

BTW, I'm leaning pretty heavily toward the neck medals. I've placed an inquiry about engraving them - I'm guessing there will be something on the back...

Oops, didn't mean it that way. 8) Maybe a slogan for one of the medals?

I think the plan is to fly into Chicago on Tues, and drive up Friday, at least part of the way. Maybe stay somewhere nearby. Then stay the night somewhere nearby Sat night (I want to stay for fireworks!), drive back on Sunday. I think we will try to fly out Sunday evening.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Lol, I know, but I'm going with it anyway. ;) I kind of like, "I'd rather be fragging" for 3rd place though... Or maybe, "The outdoors is for chumps" or something else along those lines... Now I'm thinking about a lot of TF2 related options, "I'm not even winded" or "Cry some more!" would be good. Maybe first place could be, "Get out of here Stalker." So many options...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:10 pm

What's that shiny thing in the sky??
Where's my Wi-FI!!??
IDDQD
Outdoors is for hipsters
Who needs Vitamin D?
What is outside and why am I there?
I can overclock a carrot
You should see the celery at 1.6V
I've hacked the TARDIS
Dalek Rule #1 - No Stairs
Firefly is done, get over it
Knowledge Is Good
Time to cut the cake

I could go on for a bhtoofer mega-nested post, but I shan't. Use at your own discretion.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Now we're talking! We need a REAL list of achievements this year too, so we don't end up standing around not knowing how to give out all the loot... I'll list some obvious ones...

Furthest distance traveled to attend
Longest drive to attend
Longest time spent traveling to attend
Earliest forum join date
Most forum posts
Number of BBQs attended
Largest number of games in Steam library
First person to sink 4 bean bags in a row (or failing that, 3 or 2)
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in the tourney
Highest number of hours playing in single Steam game
Highest number of total hours playing Steam games (I like the idea of rewarding this person for actually bothering to attend ;))
Oldest daily operational PC

Help me out here, we need things that aren't just the most of something...

Also, I updated the first post with some timeline info... Next up will be a list of crap we need people to commit to bringing and then I'll start attaching that to people's names on the attendee list.
Last edited by drfish on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:18 am

just brew it! wrote:
DashTrash wrote:
According to google, it is about a 2 1/2 hr drive from O Hare to Holland, Mi. Does that sound accurate?

That's best case. If you're doing it at rush hour it may take an hour+ longer than that.

If you're just planning to drive out to Holland the morning of, traffic shouldn't be bad.

I've never done it, but since he's already around the north side anyway, would it be quicker to shoot up into Wisconsin and take the ferry across the lake?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:44 am

Not faster, and not very cost effective either. :-? ~$250 for one way, ~$435 round trip...
Last edited by drfish on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:48 am

idchafee wrote:
I've never done it, but since he's already around the north side anyway, would it be quicker to shoot up into Wisconsin and take the ferry across the lake?

No. The ferry crossing alone takes about the same amount of time as the Chicago to Holland drive. Add an hour (give or take) on each end to get to/from the ferry dock. Chicago and Holland are both close enough to the south end of the lake that you're better off just going around.

Edit: And then there's the cost issue drfish just mentioned.

Edit 2: Too bad they don't give you the option of paying just the vehicle transport charge and staying in your car! Then the cost would actually be semi-reasonable.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:50 am

Aww, my edit got caught! I just changed "not likely faster" to "not faster" after checking how long the trip actually is... :P BTW, my costs were calculated based on the rate of a car and two people.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:36 am

"purportedly awesome."

"Krogoth is not impressed."

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:53 am

Damn. Wish I could make it out to this thing, but I'm in Dallas - there's just no way.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:08 am

Concupiscence wrote:
Damn. Wish I could make it out to this thing, but I'm in Dallas - there's just no way.

You do realize that rings hollow, with myself and Cap'n Ned attending, right? I'm making it a five day weekend to allow myself enough drive time, and I have no idea how Ned is going to drive that. :)

(Mostly just funning on you)
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:21 am

dashbarron wrote:
"Krogoth is not impressed."

Oh, I'm using that one for sure!!! :D

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 am

Forge wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:

You do realize that rings hollow, with myself and Cap'n Ned attending, right? I'm making it a five day weekend to allow myself enough drive time, and I have no idea how Ned is going to drive that. :)

(Mostly just funning on you)

California here.

DashTrash wrote:
Hello all!

I would actually recommend flying into GRR and renting there; the car will be cheaper and then you're making the long drive to Chicago at the START of your trip, rather than the end.
Your ideas intrigue me; I would like to purchase stock in your company.

DashTrash
Gerbil

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:27 pm

I would actually recommend flying into GRR and renting there; the car will be cheaper and then you're making the long drive to Chicago at the START of your trip, rather than the end.[/quote]

Due to other scheduling, works best to do Chicago first. Thank you for the suggestion of GRR. Might work to fly from there to ORD, then back home, but might be just as easy to drive back to ORD.