Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Did you get a high school letter jacket?

I did, and still have and value it (no higher education)
No votes
I did, and still have and value it (went on to higher ed/vo-tech)
4 (8%)
I did, but don't care anymore (no higher ed)
1 (2%)
I did, but don't care anymore (higher ed)
11 (22%)
I lettered but never bought a jacket (no higher ed)
No votes
I lettered but never bought a jacket (higher ed)
12 (24%)
I didn't letter (no higher ed)
No votes
I didn't letter (higher ed)
12 (24%)
Asiago
10 (20%)

Total votes: 50

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Were you a high school letterman?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:46 pm

You people went to some kind of fcuked-up schools there... :o In my high school (I did went to it in this country) nobody really cared about some silly jackets with some stamps or whatever (I didn't even know those things existed) and there wasn't any noticeable separation between "jocks" and "nerds"... People just "grouped up" mostly based on their nationalities (since there were plenty of different ones in that part of Brooklyn).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:50 pm

So, this isn't about being a high school late night talk show host?
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:53 pm

JohnC wrote:
(since there were plenty of different ones in that part of Brooklyn).

Many up us grew up in small towns much less diverse than Brooklyn. It's no surprise that the letter jacket thing never caught on there. For the record I graduated HS in 1981, so I come from an earlier and simpler time. Still have all the letters & pins (indoor track, outdoor track, band, chorus) but never saw the need for the jacket. When I got to college (Colgate University) in fall 1981, anyone who wore their HS letter jacket on campus pretty much did so once as the ridicule was pretty thick (Colgate was 65% Metro NYC in those days).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:58 pm

I had letters for music and academics. I liked the jacket, but when we moved to Florida, I didn't need a heavy wool jacket as often.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:14 pm

I lettered in Band and I got an academic letter that I'm pretty sure they gave me by mistake - I was 2nd to last in my class in GPA my sophmore year and had to get 4.0's all senior year just to get the 4 year average up to 3.1.

Anyway, I got a jacket which I put the letter on (along with having a pocket sewn into the inside to put my cigarettes in). Once I went to college, I never wore it again. I don't remember getting rid of it, but I don't think I could put my hands on it if asked.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:04 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
We didn't have letters or jackets or rings or proms. None of the highschools did. My only familiarity with any of that was seeing them on "Happy Days" and I assumed they had died out with poodle skirts and ducktail haircuts. I was surprised when I got to college in the US and discovered they still existed (even more surprised that Fraternities and Sororities were still common on campuses, as I only knew them from "Animal House" and assumed they'd mostly petered out in the 70s).

Old traditions die hard.

Funny story -- oldest daughter actually joined a sorority when she was in college (surprised the heck out of us). One day, she freaked out her sorority roommate by replacing the DVD drive in her PC. As she tells it, "What are you doing? You can't open that up, you'll electrocute yourself!"

Yes, in spite of joining a sorority, she does have a bit of her dear old dad in her. :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 pm

I was very close to lettering in music. Then I discovered you had to buy the pin, and the jacket...as Consuela would say, no......nnoooo.
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:55 am

In my first high school I lettered in swimming and track and band (I marched and played in concert band in my sophomore year). Starting as a Junior in my second high school (in a new community), I went on to earn a bunch more letters in cross country running, swimming, and track.

In my first high school I got a class ring with a swimmer on one side and our mascot (an AWSOME looking tiger) on the other. Gave that ring up to have it remanufactured to my second school's ring. The swimmer on that one was not as nice; he is standing prior to the start, but he has no feet; they're cut off by a chevron figure at the bottom. That ring is too small for me to wear now and I don't really feel a great fondness for it anyway.

In my second high school, I also got a letter jacket and a letter sweater. We would wear the sweaters in school on cross country, track, or swimming meet days. By the time I graduated, I had my letters loaded down with pins. I also put my first high school's pins on the second high school's jacket, since I did earn them. So I had something like nine or eleven pins total (3 per year X 3 years total plus the band pin). I also had stripe pins, but I don't remember what those were for.

I did go on to college and earned three letters in swimming while studying for my bachelor's degree. I didn't get a ring for my bachelor's degree; preferring to just get the hell out and get into the workforce. I didn't do any other sports or play in band in college, however if I were to do it over again, I think I would have somehow tried to add cross country or band, although I know not were I would have found find the time.

Several years ago I finished my Master of Science degree (in IT). No sports or letters of course, but I did treat myself to a class ring which I wear on special occasions. I think it's very rare for people to get rings for advanced degrees.

The master's ring similar to my high school rings; gold with black recesses and with the same colored stone as my high school rings. Sometimes acquaintances mistake it for a high school ring, and they're surprised when (if) they learn it's for a master's degree. No swimmers or mascots on this one, of course. It has the school's main architectural feature on one side, and IT imagery on the other. Side note: One of those images is a CRT monitor and a keyboard similar to a Model-M, along with a 3.5" floppy disk and what appears to be a cartridge tape (maybe a 3980?). None of those things is relevant anymore and the ring isn't even ten years old! How quickly times change.

Sometime in the next 5 to 7 years, I think I would like to begin work on another master's degree or maybe a doctorate. I would definitely buy another ring if I earned a doctorate, and this time it would look much more like an NFL Superbowl ring and not at all like my master's ring.

A little personal philosophy here: I feel it's important to reward yourself when you accomplish something big with your life. Each time you earn a new degree, you change yourself, your life, your opportunities, and you impact those around you (hopefully in a good way). When you earn a degree WHILE WORKING a full time job, I think it's an even bigger deal. So I'm willing to splurge for something like that. Well that and a party. 8)