Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

clone
Gerbil Elite

Re: New 2014 Jeep Cherokee design - hot or not?

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:43 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
neg

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:09 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
TheEmrys wrote:
This new Jeep is just like all four-door Jeep's - its a family car for guys who want to cling to some illusion of machismo that they probably never had, but always aspired to. This vehicle is a great option for skiers, campers, and the urban folk who like to feel "outdoorsy."

You mean like pretty much every SUV ?

Well, it is the original SUV.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:19 pm

With respect to CUVs, I'd like to put in a plug for my Kia Sportage AWD SX. It uses the 2.0T engine also found in the Optima SX and Sonata Turbo, in this implementation putting out 260 hp and 269 ft-lbs of torque. I've found that it has plenty of power. Turbo I4s are the new V6s. In terms of design, it looks similar to the Audi Q5/Q7 because the former Audi design chief (Peter Schreyer ) now works for Kia, but costs (far) less money, gets better fuel economy, doesn't need premium gas, and has a more powerful engine. The Audi has a more refined driving feel, but that's about it. With respect to reliability I figured at least the Kia has a better warranty and would be cheaper to fix if anything went wrong.
They actually issued refunds for advertising higher MPG than EPA tested (I got $150 back...), but my car was rated at 20/26 and I've been getting 28-31 on the highway pretty easily (18-21 in Boston traffic).

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:05 pm

Turkina wrote:
With respect to reliability I figured at least the Kia has a better warranty and would be cheaper to fix if anything went wrong.

Cheaper than an Audi, but more than it's brother on the same platform, the Hyundai Tucson. While Kia is a division of Hyundai, the same exact parts cost a fair bit more when they come in a Kia box, gotta love it, you can chose to pay more up front or more in service!
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

clone
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:39 pm

jss21382 wrote:
Cheaper than an Audi, but more than it's brother on the same platform, the Hyundai Tucson. While Kia is a division of Hyundai, the same exact parts cost a fair bit more when they come in a Kia box, gotta love it, you can chose to pay more up front or more in service!

Yeah, that figures - although the Tucscon wasn't an option since they don't offer it with the 2.0T. Most CUVs have crappy underpowered engines on heavier vehicles so they have worse performance and worse fuel economy than a comparable sedan.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Turkina wrote:
Yeah, that figures - although the Tucscon wasn't an option since they don't offer it with the 2.0T. Most CUVs have crappy underpowered engines on heavier vehicles so they have worse performance and worse fuel economy than a comparable sedan.

About to replace the wife's '07 CR-V with a 2014 Forester. New design, but the non-turbo is the same 2.5L they've always run so I'm comfortable with that. I'd prefer the turbo, but every one I see in inventory has every single option box checked adding about $4K in useless expense. Since it's a new model and they need to flood the lots, methinks a special order (it'd be my 4th Subaru from the same dealer, so I know I can get it done) might take a few months.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Turkina wrote:

About to replace the wife's '07 CR-V with a 2014 Forester. New design, but the non-turbo is the same 2.5L they've always run so I'm comfortable with that. I'd prefer the turbo, but every one I see in inventory has every single option box checked adding about $4K in useless expense. Since it's a new model and they need to flood the lots, methinks a special order (it'd be my 4th Subaru from the same dealer, so I know I can get it done) might take a few months.

I'd rather wait for the "custom order" model with exact features you want to. All of our current family cars have the exact features we want and no useless crap (for example, there are no "running boards" on both our SUVs) that we don't... The longest time we had to wait was a couple of months. Of course, they were not from Subaru, so that's probably why...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people