Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Samsung, never again.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:41 am

Bad luck. My newer Samsung french-door fridge has been working fine for the past... 3 years.

By any chance do you live in a humid area?
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Waco wrote:
My Haier beer fridge has been running strong for nearly 7 years now. :P

I was going to say, I've got one of those as well. Back around 2009, somebody left it out by the dumpster for the sole reason that their dog had been chewing on the cord. I replaced the cord and gave it a thorough bleach cleaning, and it worked fine. It's been in continuous use since as overflow storage (first at my sis & BIL's house, now at my folks' house) and still going.

Our church kitchen has some old Frigidaire unit that was rescued from a cabin damaged by the Big Thompson Flood in 1976. Still working, although given the location, it doesn't get opened and closed too much, and correspondingly doesn't run very often. The main reason to upgrade is that any unit older than about 2000 or so probably uses at least 2-3x as much energy as a modern unit.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 pm

We had something similar happen about 15 months ago to our Whirlpool double-door/bottom freezer unit. Apparently there is a circuit board inside called a "Jazz Board" or some such. It controls the defrost mechanism which thaws/de-ices the coils in the freezer. The air blows across these coils and exits into the top/fridge portion of the unit. Our repair guy said they are very vulnerable to power surges and brown outs. When ours died, the freezer worked fine, but the coils behind the back, plastic wall of the bottom freezer unit were a SOLID chunk of ice. We had to take everything out, thaw the coils, then replace the "Jazz Board". It's been fine since. I have no idea if this will prove useful in any shape, form, or fashion.

EDIT: found a post with an explanation http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums ... -cool.html

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 am

bluepiranha wrote:
it wasn't immune from the silly software that Samsung still tends to bundle into its present Android lineup - some of which is best described as a solution looking for a problem. Also, running a proprietary OS means the Jet is stuck with whatever apps, good and bad, that it runs.

Whoa. People actually run the stock OEM-provided Android images? Why would anyone do that???

http://get.cm
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.