Wrong topic for wrong site

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:19 pm

just brew it! wrote:
superjawes wrote:Although, Emma seems to be the Han Solo/Harrison Ford of that trio. She's probably going to have the most lasting post-Potter career (on film) and will eventually shake the Hermione character off most people's minds in a few years.

Radcliffe did well enough in "The Woman In Black". A few more roles like that and I think he'll be OK as well.

Those child stars sure can have it rough making all those millions so early on and then being all played out. :o
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:This thread is in dire need of a derailment; If we're going to talk about moisturising buttocks and Emma Watson in a tech forum, can we at least have some constructive posts with useful information in them?

I moisturise with this:
http://www.simpleskincare.my/oil-balancing_moisturiser.php
It's great.

/thread :D

Honestly, I really appreciate that our overlords have become a bit more relaxed on allowing OT conversation, unless there's some reason the OP needs it to stay OT.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:28 pm

flip-mode wrote:Honestly, I really appreciate that our overlords have become a bit more relaxed on allowing OT conversation, unless there's some reason the OP needs it to stay OT.

Be careful or Zathras might just reappear. :wink:

[/intended heavy sarcasm]
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20220
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:32 pm

flip-mode wrote:Those child stars sure can have it rough making all those millions so early on and then being all played out. :o

If child stars didn't have "child star parents" it'd be a lot easier. When your parents see you as the cash cow for their lifestyle fantasies you're screwed (a/k/a Lohan & Culkin, just to start).
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20220
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:Radcliffe did well enough in "The Woman In Black". A few more roles like that and I think he'll be OK as well.
Have not seen that. I was aware of his theater work, though, and I figured he'd be doing that if he didn't have a film career, similar to how Mark Hamill is an incredible voice actor now.

Captain Ned wrote:If child stars didn't have "child star parents" it'd be a lot easier. When your parents see you as the cash cow for their lifestyle fantasies you're screwed (a/k/a Lohan & Culkin, just to start).
Truth.

And I'm still crossing my fingers that Kieran Culkin manages to get more work. He was excellent in Scott Pilgrim.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:39 pm

superjawes wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:A: It was not NSFW SFW, at least here in the Western world, which is the world to which we moderate.
NSFW means "Not Safe for Work." Sorry...I hate double negatives and the "not NSFW" convention I've been seeing is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Ah, but in the world of moderation there is a continuum that suddenly stops at NSFW. Just because it is not NSFW for the purposes of TR forum rules does not magically make it SFW worldwide.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20220
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Captain Ned wrote:Ah, but in the world of moderation there is a continuum that suddenly stops at NSFW. Just because it is not NSFW for the purposes of TR forum rules does not magically make it SFW worldwide.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but the internet policies I've seen have usually used a rule of thumb: "If your boss walked by and saw what you were doing, would you be okay with it?" Therefore, I've never restricted my definition of "NSFW" to pr0n.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:53 pm

superjawes wrote:Maybe I'm overly cautious, but the internet policies I've seen have usually used a rule of thumb: "If your boss walked by and saw what you were doing, would you be okay with it?" Therefore, I've never restricted my definition of "NSFW" to pr0n.

I think that starts to get a little overly broad though. By that logic, something like Minesweeper or Solitaire could be considered NSFW.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37677
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Or NCAA tournament brackets. And at that point, I WILL FIGHT YOU.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:02 pm

For me it's this: A good talking to by the boss for wasting time & resources is not NSFW. An instant meeting with HR and a "don't ever do this again" or, even worse, an involuntary escort to the door is NSFW.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20220
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Captain Ned wrote:A: It was not NSFW, at least here in the Western world, which is the world to which we moderate.

Utter nonsense. To illustrate my point, I challenge you to openly view the link in front of your next client - female if possible.

DancinJack wrote:You're confused. Moderators on this site are MUCH better than most forums I have been on. There just wasn't any reason to delete the topic. You're almost reaching a censorship point with your "no NSW posts on the front page" thing. No need for that. Just don't click on it.

I wasn't commenting on the relative quality of TR's moderators. And if it's not quite censorship, I'm not sure why you're arguing. My entire point was that it should be kept in its place, with the front page being the furthest from acceptable.
i5-3570K@4533MHz|GTX670|Dell U2711
Dashak
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:13 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:59 pm

My boss is 3 hours away in St. Louis. I guess they could monitor my internet usage, but so far so good. :lol:

Also: I missed the OP and for some reason, even though I've never seen the Hewlet Packard movies, I'm disappointed that I missed out.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21296
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:24 pm

Dashak wrote:I reported it for moderation, not that the moderators seem to care. Being offensive doesn't really come into the discussion - it's just distasteful to see on the front page of a my favorite tech site. If [NSFW] posts weren't advertised on the front page and you had navigate to the back porch first, there'd be no problem.


Seriously you reported it??? I loved gefore6200's video response LOL
This is the back porch.......You know you can never come on the back porch and just go out the front door:)
JohnC,
I wish you would have held your ground. It was not offensive at all in my eyes...after all there is beer, cigarettes, cigars, BBQing and drinks all happening on the back porch :lol:

superjawes wrote:
Maybe I'm overly cautious, but the internet policies I've seen have usually used a rule of thumb: "If your boss walked by and saw what you were doing, would you be okay with it?

BTW this is not work...its the back porch without screens. Watch out for the mosquitoes.
Hey! Who farted! :D
Last edited by vargis14 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1149
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:27 pm

Dashak wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:A: It was not NSFW, at least here in the Western world, which is the world to which we moderate.

Utter nonsense. To illustrate my point, I challenge you to openly view the link in front of your next client - female if possible.


Actually, I almost agree with you that, in regards to TechReport forums in particular, the post was essentially NSFW. Why have different rules for TR forums? Because these forums have always been very, very safe in terms of the kind of images you're likely to find here. I don't work with prudes, but I do work with professionals, and I'd not feel it proper to view those pics with any of them seeing me do it.

However, that's not to say I think those pictures should not be permissible here. I think John C. covered all his bases properly. The pictures were not porn at all, and he gave very clear warning in the title that the pictures were possibly NSFW.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Dashak wrote:I wasn't commenting on the relative quality of TR's moderators. And if it's not quite censorship, I'm not sure why you're arguing. My entire point was that it should be kept in its place, with the front page being the furthest from acceptable.


You said the moderators didn't care. I'm not sure how you want me to take that if you weren't commenting on the quality of the mods here.

Your argument now is that you don't even want a thread title on the front page that could POSSIBLY be NSFW or contain the letters NSW/NSFW? Come on man. I mean, you didn't have to click the thing. Not to mention you could avoid the whole situation by not viewing TR at work in the first place if you're so worried about it.

edit: I know I have essentially said the same thing twice. I just don't know why it's still an issue.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Dashak wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:A: It was not NSFW, at least here in the Western world, which is the world to which we moderate.

Utter nonsense. To illustrate my point, I challenge you to openly view the link in front of your next client - female if possible.

DancinJack wrote:You're confused. Moderators on this site are MUCH better than most forums I have been on. There just wasn't any reason to delete the topic. You're almost reaching a censorship point with your "no NSW posts on the front page" thing. No need for that. Just don't click on it.

I wasn't commenting on the relative quality of TR's moderators. And if it's not quite censorship, I'm not sure why you're arguing. My entire point was that it should be kept in its place, with the front page being the furthest from acceptable.


Please, just let this mistake of the thread disappear... You won't see anything "unsafe" on front page anymore (not sure why would you let your co-workers read the tiny text on front page, but whatever) - I replaced the thread title and removed the "creepy spam" photo and the original link from it and I said that I was sorry for posting such thing (I will not be doing same mistake ever again). Unfortunately I can't do anything further - I have asked moderators to close/remove this useless thread after changing the title and removing links but they refused to do anything (I assume it is more amusing for them to see pointless arguments to continue and to point out how "silly" I make myself look by editing the thread), but if everyone can just STOP contributing (regardless of your personal opinion about how much exposed body can be considered as "not safe for work" in a particular environment) - it will at least get "pushed" away naturally. So just forget it (same goes for everyone else).
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1881
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:16 pm

JohnC wrote:
Dashak wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:A: It was not NSFW, at least here in the Western world, which is the world to which we moderate.

Utter nonsense. To illustrate my point, I challenge you to openly view the link in front of your next client - female if possible.

DancinJack wrote:You're confused. Moderators on this site are MUCH better than most forums I have been on. There just wasn't any reason to delete the topic. You're almost reaching a censorship point with your "no NSW posts on the front page" thing. No need for that. Just don't click on it.

I wasn't commenting on the relative quality of TR's moderators. And if it's not quite censorship, I'm not sure why you're arguing. My entire point was that it should be kept in its place, with the front page being the furthest from acceptable.


Please, just let this mistake of the thread disappear... You won't see anything "unsafe" on front page anymore (not sure why would you let your co-workers read the tiny text on front page, but whatever) - I replaced the thread title and removed the "creepy spam" photo and the original link from it and I said that I was sorry for posting such thing (I will not be doing same mistake ever again). Unfortunately I can't do anything further - I have asked moderators to close/remove this useless thread after changing the title and removing links but they refused to do anything (I assume it is more amusing for them to see pointless arguments to continue and to point out how "silly" I make myself look by editing the thread), but if everyone can just STOP contributing (regardless of your personal opinion about how much exposed body can be considered as "not safe for work" in a particular environment) - it will at least get "pushed" away naturally. So just forget it (same goes for everyone else).



John, if I may call you by that, I respect your post and ordinarily I would abide by what you have asked but this kind of **** has got to stop somewhere, arguably, regardless of whether you work in tech, this site, as far as I'm concerned is still considered personal time, if you view it at work it should be considered "at your own risk".

I could not agree more with a post like dancing jacks, don't click on the damn link then, this thread really boggles my mind, what some of the people are saying, not the original topic, grow the hell up already people.

If the PICTURE was plastered on the front page I would grant the complainers some leeway, otherwise some of the complaining I have read has seriously got me wondering about these folks and what they are like in the real world, just freaking wow already.

While I have said what I have said I still think it was probably the mature thing to do, meaning changing the topic and title and all that, shows some class on your part, some of the others, not so much.
credible
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:06 pm

1. Streisand effect.
2. Backseat moderating.
2a. Locks (or unlocks for that matter) do not come upon request.
3. There's some various other bad behaviors here as well. This thread has run its course.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3528
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:1. Streisand effect.

First time I'd heard of it, but it perfectly describes this train wreck.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20220
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Previous

Return to The Back Porch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: notfred, slowriot and 8 guests