Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: What is it about american media honchos

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:18 am

Speaking of Breaking Bad specifically, I think the culture and setting are far too integral to properly get remade. You can always do a direct export, like shows we get on BBCA, but I can't see it being successful outside of the American southwest.

Mad Men might be able to get its own version, but it would be vastly different. Obviously the series is highly dependent on US culture and issues of the 1960s, but that's not to say that you can't set something similar in London and focus on the cultural shifts happening in the UK.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:39 am

superjawes wrote:
Mad Men might be able to get its own version, but it would be vastly different. Obviously the series is highly dependent on US culture and issues of the 1960s, but that's not to say that you can't set something similar in London and focus on the cultural shifts happening in the UK.

It's called Quadrophenia.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:34 pm

DreadCthulhu wrote:
danny e. wrote:
That make idiotic decisions to try to make "American" versions of shows all the time.
Did the British make a "British Friends" to appeal to the UK audience?

Actually American shows get remade into localized foreign versions all the time. Wikipedia has a list of British shows based on American ones. The show Married with Children has been remade in 9 different countries. TV executives around the world have found that adapting ideas already shown to be popular to their local area to usually be profitable.

interesting.
Seems odd and silly most of the time to remake shows for English speaking countries. I can figure out what a boot is just fine, thanks.

PS. Go watch The IT Crowd!
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Nutmeg
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 21, 2013 7:34 pm

superjawes wrote:
Speaking of Breaking Bad specifically, I think the culture and setting are far too integral to properly get remade. You can always do a direct export, like shows we get on BBCA, but I can't see it being successful outside of the American southwest.

Well and there's the fact that the entire impetus for the show, Walt's lung cancer, would not be a financial issue in a country with a single-payer healthcare system :wink:

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 25, 2013 6:36 am

Philldoe wrote:
This reeks of Top Gear UK vs Top Gear US. Of course only an idiot would say the US Top Gear was good.

I like both, the US one is good in that they do some sort of challenge every episode.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:41 am

Nutmeg wrote:
Well and there's the fact that the entire impetus for the show, Walt's lung cancer, would not be a financial issue in a country with a single-payer healthcare system :wink:

But it would be a financial issue in a country that's dismantling their single-payer healthcare system.

(And that's as far into R&P as I'll drag this.)

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:04 am

Nutmeg wrote:
superjawes wrote:

I actually saw something on Facebook someone put together for a Breaking Bad Canada:

Frame 1: You have lung cancer. Treatment starts next week.
Frame 2: The End

I had to laugh at that one.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:08 pm

Most Americans are to English as the Amish are to technology.
CoolerMaster HAF X, i7-990x, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 24GB Corsair XMS, Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X, Corsair Neutron 128GB, 3*Seagate HD (3TB), Seagate HD (1.5TB), Hitachi HD (2TB), Plextor DVD + BluRay, StorageWorks DAT 72, 29160 SCSI Adapter, Corsair H80

peartart
Gerbil

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Nutmeg wrote:

While medical bills play into it, the initial motivation is more about leaving money to his family after he's dead. His initial diagnosis doesn't have him surviving regardless of treatment (although obviously that's not an issue for tv.)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:47 am

Nec_V20 wrote:

What the heck does that have to do with the topic?

superjawes wrote:
I actually saw something on Facebook someone put together for a Breaking Bad Canada:

Frame 1: You have lung cancer. Treatment starts next week.
Frame 2: The End

I had to laugh at that one.

Except thats not how it really happens for some.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:51 am

tanker27 wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:

The NSA made it official, when they wiretap they only have a 51% confidence threshold for deciding whether the person they are eavesdropping upon are American.
CoolerMaster HAF X, i7-990x, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 24GB Corsair XMS, Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X, Corsair Neutron 128GB, 3*Seagate HD (3TB), Seagate HD (1.5TB), Hitachi HD (2TB), Plextor DVD + BluRay, StorageWorks DAT 72, 29160 SCSI Adapter, Corsair H80

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Nec_V20 wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

The NSA made it official, when they wiretap they only have a 51% confidence threshold for deciding whether the person they are eavesdropping upon are American.

Dude, Again wrong thread. This thread is about exporting/importing TV shows to and from America.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:46 am

tanker27 wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

Dude, Again wrong thread. This thread is about exporting/importing TV shows to and from America.

Dude, it was George Bernard Shaw who said, "The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language.", and Oscar Wilde who said, "We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language.".