Does anyone buy their glasses/sunglasses online?

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Does anyone buy their glasses/sunglasses online?

Postposted on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:22 pm

I am looking to buy some prescription sunglasses. Anyone had luck buying online? I'm just looking for the cheapest polarized RX shades I can get...
e4300 @ 3.0 ghz \ eVGA 8800 GT \ 4 gig
Gilligan
Gerbil Elite

Re: Does anyone buy their glasses/sunglasses online?

Postposted on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm not sure about sunglasses, but besides Amazon, Newegg (of all places) sells a bunch of weird stuff like jewelry in addition to electronics. It looks like they sell some type of sunglasses too. try this link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... es&x=0&y=0
Last edited by chuckula on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:35 pm

I buy sunglasses from Amazon. I you don't like them you just put them back in the box and put a sticker on it, drop it off at the UPS Store. I'm a Prime member so it all happens pretty fast.

What would bother me here is that you're gonna want to try the frames before you get the prescription lenses right? That's that part I'm not sure how you'd swing.
License to kill gophers.
MethylONE
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:50 pm

I bought some from coastal.com First pair is "free" but after getting the thinner lenses I needed and something else - don't remember what it was - it was about $40 total. Shipping was quick and the frames were actually pretty nice for the "free" selection they have
i7-3770K | Asus P8Z77-V LK | 8GB DDR3-1600 | HD5850 | 128GB 840 Pro | Samsung F3 1TB | U2412M | Define R4 | Seasonic 520W M12II | Win7 Pro x64.
frumper15
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:55 pm

I've been buying frames online for about 8 or 9 years. Then I would have the prescriptions filled at my local Walmart optician department. I've generally been satisfied.

I originally bought new old stock frame samples from a German frame store on ebay. They had a wide and diverse selection from several European manufacturers. You could get classy or weird, cool or eccentric at prices from about $10 to $200. Shipping was inexpensive and well packaged. That store now seems to be inactive.

My last purchase of three frames was from the Egamon store on ebay:
http://shop.ebay.com/egamon/m.html
Their range of styles is not as extensive as that of the German store, but I found good frames for $20 to $30. I was satisfied with the quality and shipping.

The Walmart optical in-store professional section measures how far apart your eyes are, traces the shape of the frames and sends that info and the prescription off to off-site lens manufacturer. They get the lenses back in about a week and put them in the frames. They charge you an extra $10 if you bring in your own frames instead of buying what they offer. Regular thin, single-vision lenses cost about $50. This time I also got prescription (distant/driving) sunglasses with polarized lenses. The sunglasses lenses cost $90. I am completely satisfied with the result.
cliff
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Optics planet has a perscription glasses/sunglasses department that I have used a few times.
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر
Looking for Knowledge
Emperor Gerbilius I
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:10 pm

I bought my monocle from eyeglasses.com. It works.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 02, 2013 7:25 am

Mr. Peanut? Is that you?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 02, 2013 8:42 am

Mulitple times I've used Coastal Contacts / Clearly Contacts (same company, different countries) and they are excellent and great price.

Don't let contacts in the name fool you, they offer a good selection of glasses.
Arvald
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 02, 2013 10:05 am

I have ordered quite a few glasses from eyebuydirect.com for my wife and I; they are quite cheap, with frames & lens starting at $6.95; they provide good measurements for all their frames (if your current glasses fit well, just measure them, and find a match), and they offer buy 1 get one free 1 deals fairly often (which unfortunately only cover the base frame & lenses, not any lens upgrades.) Getting the thinner lenses and fancy coatings can up the price several times over, but that is true for any online glasses store.

So my wife and I just ordered a few of the cheap glasses each, & then picked the one we liked the best & reordered with fancy lenses. So for less than $100 each, we have glasses that we are happy with & have a drawer full of serviceable backup pairs, for when the kids mangle a good set, or I drop a box on my face at work.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.
DreadCthulhu
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu May 02, 2013 10:26 am

derFunkenstein wrote:Mr. Peanut? Is that you?

Heh. One of the consequences of only getting one eye operated upon for a cataract is that I can't focus up close with that eye any more. The left eye works pretty well, the right one won't focus any closer than about 2 feet. Why buy a full set of glasses with a clear lens on one side when I can pay half as much for a monocle?

As an additional side benefit, whenever someone says something gob-smackingly stupid in a meeting, I can make it fall out to dangle by the chain. Great for a laugh.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu May 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Try Zenni Optical! Great prices, lots of choices:

http://www.zennioptical.com/

I've been buying there for years.

~ Trellot
-ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 / Intel Core i5-2500K
-XFX Radeon HD 7970 3072MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
-Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 PSU / Corsair 600T case
-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB / Hitachi Deskstar 750GB
Trellot
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu May 30, 2013 5:08 am

I just do a search of the code of the frame i'm interested in amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Ray-Ban-Eyeglasse ... B003EEPDG0

As an example. Ray ban frames have codes so its easy to find a new frame for a given model, and its at least half what they usually charge at an optometrist for the frame if you buy it on amazon
Asus x83vm-x1, that's my main system: p8400, nvidia 9600m gs, 4g ddr2 (currently 2)
Kurkotain
Gerbil First Class

Return to The Back Porch