Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

What color would you pick for a sleek sedan?

Black
4 (11%)
White
7 (18%)
Silver Gray
5 (13%)
Darker Gray
10 (26%)
Blue
8 (21%)
Red
2 (5%)
Other
2 (5%)

Total votes: 38

SonicSilicon
Gerbil First Class

Re: New Sedan Purchase - Black or White color?

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:42 pm

What about a[n aftermarket] custom paint job of black to white thermochromic paint? It'll be black when it's cooler, white when it's hotter, so you get both colors and a visibility benefit.
[EDIT]My mind was stuck on thermal for some reason. :oops: I suppose there is a thermal benefit, but that would probably only be noticeable to the touch. Window space has a much larger role on cabin temperatures.
Last edited by SonicSilicon on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Car colors affects how fast the car heats up and how fast it cools down, White is the slowest, black is the fastest - actual max temperature is unaffected by color. Hence why Arizona, Nevada, Texas, New Mexico all have PLENTY of Black cars.

yeah, I've heard that myth before.

I have a light gold car, and a solid 100% black car.

You know what?, on the same day in the same driveway, the black car gets much hotter, and takes many, many miles of highway driving with the air on full blast to cool down.

Say what you want, it is a significant and noticeable difference. :wink:

Winter was too warm last year, I do like the self heating aspect when it gets really cold however. :wink:

PS...ISSUE settled

With rampant global warming coming to everyone....white is the only way to go! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:31 pm

mdk77777 wrote:
With rampant global warming coming to everyone

Yes, yes, it was very "warming" in the March of this year in certain regions of the world:
http://www.yaplakal.com/forum2/topic557109.html

:wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:16 pm

White all the way. Then again I live in Florida...

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:34 am

ludi wrote:
modern vehicle AC systems are pretty effective at cooling the vehicle back down.

Modern A/C systems are designed with just enough capacity for fuel economy reasons, plus current refrigerants just aren't as efficient as R-12 was, so they take larger condensers to reach the same efficiency, unfortunately the openings in the front of vehicles are getting smaller for aero reasons, making a/c even less effective. Currently i'm 20+ miles down the road before reaching anything resembling cold, where as cars from the even the 90's were capable of full cooling a few minutes after starting driving.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

mnecaise
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:45 am

The "Primer" option is missing.

Building my next car right now: think 40+ year old rusty pickup truck. End goal (this round) is rat rod truck. Politically incorrect but I don't care. :wink:

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:56 am

Modern A/C systems are designed with just enough capacity for fuel economy reasons, plus current refrigerants just aren't as efficient as R-12 was, so they take larger condensers to reach the same efficiency, unfortunately the openings in the front of vehicles are getting smaller for aero reasons, making a/c even less effective. Currently i'm 20+ miles down the road before reaching anything resembling cold, where as cars from the even the 90's were capable of full cooling a few minutes after starting driving.

AMEN..

Heck, my 1976 caprice Classic would blow air that made humidity condense out of the air and frost the vents....I kid you not...if you left it on high too long...you would need to put on a coat.

My Black 2012 FORD EXPLORER...well, I haven't had it out on anything above 90 degree days...above a 97 driving in the sun...I don't think it would ever cool down.

DO NOT BUY IF YOU LIVE IN THE ARIZONA.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:09 am

jss21382 wrote:

Subaru must not have gotten the message. My 2010 Legacy GT (dark Graphite Grey) has ice-cold air within 90 seconds after start-up at 98F in the sun and remaining at idle. I love it.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:22 am

Captain Ned wrote:
jss21382 wrote:

Subaru must not have gotten the message. My 2010 Legacy GT (dark Graphite Grey) has ice-cold air within 90 seconds after start-up at 98F in the sun and remaining at idle. I love it.

I hate your Subaru...

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:22 am

jss21382 wrote:

I think you might be overgeneralizing, possibly based on experiences with small cars? Back in the 1990s it was still common for a small, cheap car to not have A/C. These days pretty much every car on the road has an AC system, although on many smaller 4-cylinder vehicles, it may be significantly undersized for the reasons you noted. My '02 Celica barely has enough AC to keep the cabin comfortable during highway cruising, probably because Toyota shaved that car down to a featherweight.

Also, if you are doing a lot of stop-and-go, particularly in a 4-cylinder vehicle, note that the ECU may be cutting out the compressor more often at idle and under acceleration, hence the slower cool-down time.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:11 pm

Speaking as someone who still maintains regular contact with a couple of design graduates who have wormed their way into automotive design, silver is the colour you want.

Silver is the colour that best reflects light to show off the car's contours (and if you don't like the car's contours, buy a less ugly one).
It's also a colour that shows stone-chips less than others (white would be best, but silver's probably second on the list)
Finally, silver has by far the highest resale value and desirability on the used car market.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:04 pm

ludi wrote:
jss21382 wrote:

I think you might be overgeneralizing, possibly based on experiences with small cars? Back in the 1990s it was still common for a small, cheap car to not have A/C. These days pretty much every car on the road has an AC system, although on many smaller 4-cylinder vehicles, it may be significantly undersized for the reasons you noted. My '02 Celica barely has enough AC to keep the cabin comfortable during highway cruising, probably because Toyota shaved that car down to a featherweight.

Also, if you are doing a lot of stop-and-go, particularly in a 4-cylinder vehicle, note that the ECU may be cutting out the compressor more often at idle and under acceleration, hence the slower cool-down time.

Nah...been working on automotive a/c systems since the 90's, there's a huge difference in the components used now. Back then on a 90 degree day you could count on the system dropping to around 30psi within a minute or two, most systems now will sit in the mid 40's because the system isn't robust enough to provide that much cooling. Most manufacturers currently specify 48 degree vent temp as proper cooling, older customers are accustom to their a/c putting out around 35 degree air. Try explaining to them that their new 50k vehicle just isn't made to do that...

As far as the 4 cylinder cutout issue...yeah, it's especially bad on low displacement cvt vehicles. During acceleration and hilly terrain you're far enough into the throttle that you're into a/c cutout, which can be a serious issue in the SW part of the country.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:10 pm

jss21382 wrote:
As far as the 4 cylinder cutout issue...yeah, it's especially bad on low displacement cvt vehicles. During acceleration and hilly terrain you're far enough into the throttle that you're into a/c cutout, which can be a serious issue in the SW part of the country.

My Subie has an interesting take on that challenge. There isn't an on/off compressor clutch as one would normally expect, instead, the pump is a variable displacement unit and it always runs. While older cars I owned would sharply shut off the AC if I stomped the throttle, the '10 Subie will allow for a slight warming of the exit air but won't go fully off under load (i.e. reduces the pump displacement instead of an abrupt cut-off). If there's no demand, the pump displacement goes to as near zero as possible to save MPG. I'm happy with it.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:27 pm

Those work fairly well, Chrysler uses them on their 4 cylinder cars, but, as there is no cutoff it potentially destroys the compressor if you have a failure in the refrigerant system, since the oil is carried by the refrigerant.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:50 pm

jss21382 wrote:
Those work fairly well, Chrysler uses them on their 4 cylinder cars, but, as there is no cutoff it potentially destroys the compressor if you have a failure in the refrigerant system, since the oil is carried by the refrigerant.

The flip side being that since the pump is always operating, the usual issue of refrigerant loss because the pump hasn't been run in 6 months (think Northern VT winters) isn't an issue.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:49 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
jss21382 wrote:

The flip side being that since the pump is always operating, the usual issue of refrigerant loss because the pump hasn't been run in 6 months (think Northern VT winters) isn't an issue.

Usually the AC is run concurrent with the defroster for dehumidifying.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:08 pm

jss21382 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
jss21382 wrote:

I hate your Subaru...

Around my area it is not close to 100F yet, but it is close to 90F in the past couple of weeks. My 2012 Evo X seems to have no trouble blowing cold air out of its A/C, a way better improvement from my former Mazda 3 (which has like the weakest A/C system known in the industry or something).
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:36 pm

ludi wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
jss21382 wrote:

Usually the AC is run concurrent with the defroster for dehumidifying.

But the AC will cutout when the temps are below freezing even with the defrost on.